U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:39 AM

243 posts, read 283,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Did you even read your own link? States right in there that VIA can build the project without the federal funds. Why are you even grasping at straws about an airport? What does that have to do with the any of this? I do ride the bus, I have a stop on the 14 about a block away. I've taken it numerous times. I've also taken the park and ride service from the randolph park and ride before it moved from Windsor Park Mall. My parents taught me how to use public transportation, because it's a life skill. I also used DART numerous times when I lived in the Dallas metro area. It was the best way to get to sporting events, the state fair, uptown, where you transferred from light rail to street car if you wanted. Don't tell me that Dallas is some great urban city, it sprawls for miles and miles over prairie, and it's suburbs are extremely conservative, yet some how they support rail.
Thanks for answering my question and yes I did read my own link. He said they could build a partial system with what they had they do not have the 300 million in hand to fund the whole project. Like I said before I hope you care enough to watch what happens to the money in the next few years and if you really care about this city like you claim then you are going to be very disappointed by what is going to happen and all of the waste that will come from it and I never said anything about Dallas. I've been to Dallas many times and I know what it looks like, but we are not Dallas or Houston or any other city. I mentioned the airport because you seem to have a dislike for anything outside of 410 or at least that's just the way some of your post read anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 AM

135 posts, read 165,426 times
If via is gonna fund it 100% and keep the fairs the same and pay for the cps increase pay for the up keep and city council doesn't find a way to tax us somehow sure build whatever the hell you want.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:58 AM

6,279 posts, read 9,051,006 times
Ummm....you DO realize that Via is funded by TAX dollars, right? Doesn't matter WHICH pocket that money comes from, it's still TAXPAYER money!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,526,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Ummm....you DO realize that Via is funded by TAX dollars, right? Doesn't matter WHICH pocket that money comes from, it's still TAXPAYER money!
Easy fix, don't buy a single item in a VIA member city. Boom, problem solved.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 AM

6,279 posts, read 9,051,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Easy fix, don't buy a single item in a VIA member city. Boom, problem solved.
Ah.....the Leader of the Free World has spoken, eh?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM

5,621 posts, read 13,068,534 times
Obviously VIA gets some of it's income from sales taxes that everybody in this part of the world pays. So this effects folks even in the next counties in regards to their shopping in San Antonio. But, what few are aware of is that Via also has a tremendous amount of rental properties- about $151,000,000.00 worth. The last time I was at their offices they had 7 full time licensed architects. Via is a lot more than just a transit company. They are the money launderers for the city politicians. So you need to be aware that this can go sideways in a heart beat and the citizens are going to be the losers while the politicians get bathed in glory of the media who could care less about the cost or burden to the folks paying the tab. No matter how you want to dress this pig, it's still a pig. Pucker up people!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM

425 posts, read 516,576 times
Despite this thread showing the opponents being the loudest, people have been overwhelmingly in favor of this system:

San Antonio Light-Rail... Possibility?...Give SA Light Rail...Light Rail Trolley

Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,435,421 times
Default Stand Alone,

We can let this posting stand, just as it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
Despite this thread showing the opponents being the loudest, people have been overwhelmingly in favor of this system:

San Antonio Light-Rail... Possibility?...Give SA Light Rail...Light Rail Trolley

Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 AM

3,753 posts, read 3,878,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post

The best post form that thread...(its still true today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Although as exciting have a light rail system can be, we need to wait until there is a true enough demand to have one. Upon reading your claim, I took the liberty to research how these light rails function and how these would work to our advantage or not. For the most part, a Light-Rail system is the most eco-friendly public transportation system around because it is able to transport hundreds of people at a time with low energy usage. But, the issue is money and demand... unless the TIRZ, or South Broadway/North River whatever project is a true success, I do not see San Antonio needing a light-rail system. We simply do not have enough people who would depend on public transportation across downtown to afford such a system. If we do implement a light rail under status quo, the city would have no choice but to raise taxes or increase our subaverage VIA bus fares. That is a price I am not willing to pay just yet.

P.S. It is great that you are looking for alternatives to make this city better..

Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 AM

425 posts, read 516,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The best post form that thread...(its still true today)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio