U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:48 PM

812 posts, read 2,101,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
I don't mean to sound condescending. It concerns me though, didn't Jesus teach that there was such a thing as sin? How is it that we want the Lord to change for us and not us change for the Lord? It's not hard to find someone who will tell you what you want to hear as long as you add to the plate. Or are you looking for a church that still will call a sin a sin but will still love its members and help them to come to Christ? Is that the kind of acceptance you mean?

Why are you being so judgemental. Here is someone looking for a place to worship The Lord and yet again someone has to discourage them and not welcome and encourage their faith.

I don't live in Texas, but we love to visit Texas specifically to go to Lakewood Church in Houston to see Joel Osteen. Not sure how far SA is from Houston but if you can get to Houston once in a while I encourgae you to visit that church. It's such a lift! I can assure you, the won't run you off! Door's always open to people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,646 times
*rolls eyes*

Why can't people just love and accept each other? Isn't that ULTIMATELY what Jesus taught? Not discrimination, tier-systematic, holier-than-thou, 'living in sin' BS. I'm absolutely horrified at what 'good churchgoing folk' consider treating those around them with golden rule standard.

Funny how they pick and choose what 'sin' they want to focus on when convenient to their comfort bias. If you're going to preach from the bible and judge those by it, then judge using the ENTIRE book. While you're at it, start with yourself.

Good luck on that one. Frankly, it's impossible.

If you can't say something nice, just keep your trap shut: There is a whole crowd of people out there who have been treated as second-class citizens for simply wanting equal rights. They want to know what it feels like to simply be a functional part of society without the pretense of being unfairly judged by you, the church, Fox News or their President.

This isn't a GLBT issue.

This isn't a black, white, brown, yellow, purple or blue issue.

This isn't about whether you're rich, poor or in-between.

This is simply people treating other people with respect, dignity and equal rights.

How incredibly radical.

BN

Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,609,997 times
BN,

How true. I would also state that, while Jesus did in fact associate with the "worst" people, He also pointed out the fact that they were sinners. In other words, I think it's possible to "love thy neighbor" while gently (or not so gently, as was sometimes the case for Christ) discussing sin issues.

It is equally important to observe the fact that before one points out a sin in another's life, one should observe one's own sin. (The Bible talks about this in terms of me telling someone he has a speck in his eye when I have a log in mine.) Should a church accept people from all walks of life? I believe so, as long as the church is careful not to condone the lifestyle.

For example, a church should never turn anyone away. Gay, straight, married, unmarried, black, white, brown, rich, poor, etc. should all be welcomed with open arms. This is what Christ would have us do. BUT, a church should also be bold enough to teach biblical morals, some of which rail against certain behaviors.

Just my 2 cents.

I did, however, attend Gateway Fellowship with my wife and kids for a few Sundays. The church was fine, but we were looking for slightly more in-depth preaching so we continued looking around. The people at Gateway were very friendly, and I never got the feeling that anyone would be excluded from attending.

--Dim

Old 06-21-2008, 05:59 PM

90 posts, read 313,776 times
I dont think any church would turn someone away but if your going to be a leader in the church you need to at least be trying to live according to God's word.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 853 times
Default MCCSA is a true Church Home

I think you will find MCC to be the right fit for anyone who is seeking a more fruitful relationship with God. Growth in faith is there for the taking. Hope to see you in church.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:54 PM

14 posts, read 279,434 times
does anyone actually read the bible? the church is a people, not a building for spectators to come and be entertained with encouraging messages. a holy people. if you want to fit in and not change your life styles, there's plenty of places for it. but if you want to serve the Jesus of the Bible, gosh man, the first words to obey before you come near to the Sinless God is to start believing what He says about everything (repentance): Sin, correction, serving, worship, obedience...all things. it seems the majority of people posting on here are fine with willfull unrepentant sin lovers coming in and contaminating the pure body of Christ. does Jesus love sinners? for sure, but He died to save all of us sinners from sin! How can we say we love God and continue to willfully do the things that separated us from Him in the first place? We are supposed to make good judgment of people in the church (according to the bible) and we are supposed to get the sin out of the church.
sounds harsh guys, but you won't hear this from most pulpits (ie. osteen) cuz "church" has become the place with a great dynamic speaker and a beautiful building loaded with people, when it is supposed to be about a pure holy people seeking after and living for the one true God, no matter the size of the congregation.
=) 3 cents worth.
my desire: for us to be willing to believe the bible, and not the pulpit preachers always tickling our ears.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:33 PM

82 posts, read 279,602 times
I love my friends at
Celebration Circle

http://www.celebrationcircle.org (broken link)

Last edited by Love2begreen; 08-23-2008 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio