U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 AM

125 posts, read 430,645 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an open-minded christian church to attend in San Antonio that is open to straight unwed couples living together along with gay and lesbian relationships. The church I currently attend will not allow me to volunteer because I live with someone that I am not married to. I am looking for a church that will allow me a relationship with both God and the church and where I could be involved with church activities. I am open to any suggestions and willing to answer questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 12:19 PM

2,392 posts, read 8,632,871 times
We attended University United Methodist over on Dezaval and 10 and I dare say they would not really care who you lived with!

Last edited by neddy; 11-17-2007 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 PM

616 posts, read 1,859,436 times
Have you considered the United Church of Christ? They have an "open and affirming" policy explicity inviting people who feel excluded by other denominations, including the GLBT community and people such as yourself who aren't allowed to fully serve due to personal factors.

Also, the Episcopalian churches tend to be very open to all sorts of people. A coworker was amazed and touched by the reception he and his male partner received at St. Mark's Episcopal, which is downtown. The congregation was very welcoming, and he received a lot of phone calls and cards asking about him and inviting him to join the church.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:10 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,236,089 times
Hmmmmmm, I don't think my church cares, and it's upsetting to think that a church would. How egotistical of them. You are there to serve the Lord, no? I don't understand why it should matter to a fellow sinner. I'm sorry that you have to endure that sort of treatment.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:20 PM

260 posts, read 1,023,826 times
I don't mean to sound condescending. It concerns me though, didn't Jesus teach that there was such a thing as sin? How is it that we want the Lord to change for us and not us change for the Lord? It's not hard to find someone who will tell you what you want to hear as long as you add to the plate. Or are you looking for a church that still will call a sin a sin but will still love its members and help them to come to Christ? Is that the kind of acceptance you mean?

Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,295,653 times
St. John's Lutheran ,downtown on Nueva St. across from La Villita or agree with St. Mark's at Travis. I find any church or congrgation that has stipulations on the lifestyle of the people who attend to be less than what I think a church is about.
I go to St. John's and I know they do not judge who you are or your lifestyle. Church is there for those who need Jesus and God's word. I always remeber a priest who told me that the church is there for sinners and God is the best judge of who those people are, not the priest or congregation. I hope you find the peace and welcome at one of the churches reccomended.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:01 PM

125 posts, read 430,645 times
AirForceDoc, I do not expect the Lord or a church to change for me. And I am proud to say that several things about my lifestyle have been changed by the Lord, but I am still a sinner. I am looking for a church that will not judge me for my actions but will help me build a stronger relationship with God rather than pushing me away. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much to everyone else who has provided suggestions and support. It makes me feel like I am not alone in wanting an accepting church. Please keep the suggestions and thoughts coming.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 8,632,871 times
Also MCC of SA is around, not nearly as big as Rainbow Cath. in Dallas but still very warm.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:43 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,360,269 times
San Antonio:

MCC San Antonio

611 E Myrtle St, San Antonio TX 78212
Phone: 210-472-3597

Fax: 210-472-0696

Email: mccsaoffice@sbcglobal.net

Pastor: Rev. **** Hinson

Email: mccsaPastor@sbcglobal.net

Lay Delegates: Mariya Rodriguez, Tracy Oglesby
Board of Directors: Desmer Benson, Jack Broaddus, Imelda Maldonado, Marsha Warren, Lisa Ortiz, Marc Wendell
Worship Times:
Sunday: Adult Sunday School 9 AM
Sunday Worship Service: 10:30 AM
Children's Sunday School: 10:30 AM

Saturday Worship Service: 7:05 PM

Primary Language Spoken: English
Region 6

Old 11-18-2007, 05:33 PM

34 posts, read 118,583 times
Default Church for the Unchurched

Our church is VERY open. We pride ourselves on being the church for the unchurced.

Bandera Road Community Church (BRCC)

Check our the website, I think you can even listen to a few of the sermons on there.

Bandera Road Community Church > Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio