Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,362,510 times

Advertisements

Autumn is a great time here. The cool is on its' way. Great weather is on its' way!
San Antonio is the best ! Well Miami Beach has its' good points too.
When in the north I remember many Yankee residents saying , I remember- "I just love the fall".

To me Autumn up north meant old age ,decay and death is on its' way. Even the songbirds have enough sense to leave. I agree with poster Teraox, all know when the leaves begin to fly, that it the cue, is the beginning of the end.

About now San Antonio is looking forward to some very good weather.
At about the time the "love fall" statement is uttered by northerners, the first day of spring is six months away.

Meanwhile, all will be trudging through the Tundra and driving on ice. Watch where you walk or you might
lose your footing on an ice patch and break something. Pain is sure to be involved either way.

In all fairness one must include Yankee summers can be picture perfect and not the blazing hot inferno that is San Antonio.

That short lived summer paradise is not worth living trough the other half of the year- landlocked inside the house.
San Antonio weather means physical freedom- all winter to go out and enjoy that.

New Texan is right too, well written- go to work in the dark and then after work , come home in the dark.
Firstly however, scrape the windshield free of ice. Break the windshield wipers loose. Hopefully the car is not stuck. It happens.
Some warm up the car and let the defroster, clear the windshield for them.
Check the anti-freeze, make sure the anti-freeze is good. Keep a snow shovel and blankets in the trunk
for emergencies along with a flashlight and matches if you are in rural areas.
Paler complected people ( young girls) wishing to look healthier in the wintertime go and lay in
tanning booths for some color. The elderly must be careful of where they step for fear of a fall.
Ordinary daylight is available to the employed only on weekends and then skies are, usually, overcast. Polite residents keep a bucket of salt in the garage to sprinkle on the sidewalks so the postman and other guests will not loose their footing and fall while entering their property. Good idea.
At home it is Time to batten down the hatches, put up the storm windows, check the caulking, clean out the gutters get out the winter parka and tune up the snow thrower.
An electrical generator , portable, is a good idea too.
Hell is coming to breakfast.
Minneapolis can be a nice cloud place free quite a bit but is also an extremely frigid place. -20 below zero is common, with sunshine. That is called a nice day there.
Chicago can be hell. It is a very beautiful city, in many ways more than San Antonio. Never seen the wind blow snow like that before, however. That was incredible. I know I think, why it is called, "The Windy City".
No thanks.
I would rather go for a stroll down the Riverwalk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I hated fall until I moved here - I hated the whole dying off thing and hated that it meant winter was on the way. I love visiting up there in the fall now - I know won't have to deal with winter so that makes fall a whole lot more palatable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM

161 posts, read 226,103 times
Funny, I feel land-locked in the house all summer HERE. It's going to be 94 today, for gosh sake! You are talking about winter extremes, too. What I want is four even seasons...not a blast furnace half the year and not snow to shovel half the year.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
Funny, I feel land-locked in the house all summer HERE. It's going to be 94 today, for gosh sake! You are talking about winter extremes, too. What I want is four even seasons...not a blast furnace half the year and not snow to shovel half the year.
Name a place in the US that had that, though. Sure, it'd be great...but it isn't a real place! Me, if I have to choose between shoveling snow or running the ac six months out of the year, I'll take the ac.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:30 PM

Default Try Tennesee,

Tennesee- Not to cold and not too hot either. Just right. Via con Dios.
Ideally one has a summer home someplace where it is cooler all summer.
Seriously I never felt landlocked during S.A. summers. It is hot, but there are hotter places in the country.
The winter extremes are not extremes, I wrote of.
Idaho and Montana are much worse. So is New York State. I would never live there unless forced by circumstance.
115 inches is the average snowfall annually in Syracuse, New York. Try shoveling that. It is a part- time job everyday merely to get out of the driveway and out to work on time. Not to mention the streets that have not always been snow plowed by time of the morning commute.
Shoveling is difficult for the lumbar area. Many die unexpectedly of heart attacks they did not expect to have during snow shoveling. And.

By the time of the end of the evening commute the driveway may be filled again with snow because it has been snowing all day... Welcome home. Park the car in the street for a little while and begin shoveling-again.
Give me San Antone anyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post

Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Tennesee- Not to cold and not too hot either. Just right. Via con Dios.
Ideally one has a summer home someplace where it is cooler all summer.
Seriously I never felt landlocked during S.A. summers. It is hot, but there are hotter places in the country.
The winter extremes are not extremes, I wrote of.
Idaho and Montana are much worse. So is New York State. I would never live there unless forced by circumstance.
115 inches is the average snowfall annually in Syracuse, New York. Try shoveling that. It is a part- time job everyday merely to get out of the driveway and out to work on time. Not to mention the streets that have not always been snow plowed by time of the morning commute.
Shoveling is difficult for the lumbar area. Many die unexpectedly of heart attacks they did not expect to have during snow shoveling. And.

By the time of the end of the evening commute the driveway may be filled again with snow because it has been snowing all day... Welcome home. Park the car in the street for a little while and begin shoveling-again.
Give me San Antone anyday.
I don't doubt you but its 87 today and tomorrow in Nashville. I'm not sure if one can feel the difference between 87 and 93.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 PM

501 posts, read 945,498 times
This is above average temps for the week and it wasn't even that bad. Plus, the first real cold front is passing through tomorrow and we should be in a real fall weather pattern after that. I feel like people who complain about the weather will find anything to complain about.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Default Poor Weather whining,

Partly cloudy and partly true statement.

Northland winter weather is so oppresive it is something to actually feel bad about. SAD,
Seasonally affected disorder. If one has Arthritis, symptoms will worsen. Lung diseases like
Bronchitis, asthma, will worsen .
The salubrious climate of San Antonio will not do this.
Cedar Fever Season ain't no picnic around here. But there are worse things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
This is above average temps for the week and it wasn't even that bad. Plus, the first real cold front is passing through tomorrow and we should be in a real fall weather pattern after that. I feel like people who complain about the weather will find anything to complain about.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 PM

161 posts, read 226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Name a place in the US that had that, though. Sure, it'd be great...but it isn't a real place! Me, if I have to choose between shoveling snow or running the ac six months out of the year, I'll take the ac.
From the age of 10, my wife grew up in central Missouri. She said that was nearly three months of each season. Beautiful springs with dogwood blooming, nice, hot July and Sept, gorgeous fall foliage, and just enough snow to feel like Christmas. We're scouting out MO and Arkansas.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 AM

157 posts, read 294,971 times
I love that tonight will be the last night that it will be muggy LOL!
I can't wait for the even cooler temperatures to come. Of course it doesn't get as chilly as in the Northern Plains or the Northeast. But cool to cold is better than Evil Cold LOL like the 5°F that Chicago can get.
Having lived in the Carolinas for several years I really appreciate it there when Autumn came yet this was more for when I lived in Greenville, South Carolina where the scenery was real nice, perhaps tho not as vibrant as in some places farther north since there are quite a few pines around this region.
Fayetteville, NC got colors to where I lived but it was more towards the Coastal Plain so just a few shades of color just like here in San Antonio except theirs might peak out a lil sooner, just depends on the weather.
Hoping too and I know that some of you will be like "yea sure maybe in another decade" but I am hoping to see a few flakes of Snow during December lol.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 AM

157 posts, read 294,971 times
These are some autumn colors I found on the internet that look nice just up in the Hill Country

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio