U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,381,845 times

Advertisements

Low cost of living relative to other large cities

Close proximity to the Gulf Coast

Although San Antonio is the second largest city in Texas, it has a small town atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
I have lived from coast to coast, and have spent over 10 years in San Antonio/Boerne now. It took some adjusting that first year or so, but I love it here - it is one of the best places in the country to raise a family.

What I like:

- Uniqueness of the city (it really stands out compared to places like Dallas and Houston)
- Low cost of living
- Weather from late September through June
- Public schools (Boerne ISD)
- The Hill Country and its small towns
- Friendly, down to earth people (very little pretentiousness) and great sense of community around Boerne
- Texas values (family, freedom, religion)

...Overall, a great place to live!
I'm with Boerne Man, maybe you need to get a bit farther out from SA!

I'm a bit past Boerne for my 8 month / yr house... (my Main house is in We_tern WA, GREAT summers, crummy all the other time of the yr... 285 days of day / cloud cover)

I only go to SA in Off Hours
I LUV the SWA routes and EZ access and FAST airport of SAT and AUS (I fly a LOT)
I like the people and have found them EXTREMELY friendly in the 'small towns', but I here some of the ethno centric towns can be pretty cliquish (I'm not in one of those).
I like the choice in adventures and cuisine.
It is nice to be able to go to church without being a weirdo as in PNW (not that it bothers me much ofter 30+ yrs)

Originally from Colorado and WY. I MISS those places, but they have changed and become Californicated, so TX is a nice place for me (Part-time)

We Homeschooled (about 25 yrs ago...), so I saw so much benefit in that, it is hard to imagine Pre-K or school for kids as a benefit (Tho TX has some good ones.) WE were REALLY weird when we lived in Singapore and Spain and continued to Homeschool... Our kids survived and are doing quite well 10 yrs out of college. IN WA they were able to go to college for FREE instead of High School. That saved them some serious BUCKs. I think TX has similar program... If you can pass a college entrance exam (ez for an 8th grader) you can go to college (and be subsidized for tuition).

YMMV, but SA area is not too shabby, tho I would look to a rural town.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 AM

818 posts, read 986,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naj609 View Post

I dislike:
There isn't a sense of community(gated & everyone ignores each other)
School District (my child isn't able to enroll in PreK, we make too much $/aren't military & she speaks english. Where's the importance of early childhood education!?)
Shopping (so many rude people & just walking away from your buggy taking up the entire aisle)
Traffic ( no explaintion needed )
Horrible public transportation
Racism(if not of Hispanic culture)

What I like:
The Riverwalk
Weather
Historic
I've recently left San Antonio after having spent two 10 year stretches with a 2 year break in the middle. There are things about San Antonio that I loved but the things I didn't like were too hard to overlook. Consequently, I felt it would be better for my family and in particular, my son, if we moved.

Since you asked what we liked about San Antonio, I will focus on those things that we had there that we don't have in our new location.

- Our friends. It is really hard to leave the caliber of friends we left behind in San Antonio. Growing up in a military family, this is something I am somewhat accustomed to but it is still not easy. Having said that, the internet and in particular Facebook make it much easier to keep up with everyone.

- Whataburger and Taco Cabana. These two gems are the first places I go when I am back in San Antonio. The closest Whataburger is a 3 hour drive from me and I am embarassed to say I have thought about making that trip more than once.

- While the parks in San Antonio are few and far between, I did enjoy the different leagues the Parks and Rec department hosted. I played a lot of softball over the years I was there. It's where I met a lot of the friends I miss now.

- We lived on the Northeast side of town right off 1604, close to 281 in the Redlands area. We had really great neighbors. We had a subdivision softball team for a couple of seasons. One of our neighbors would host a bbq in his driveway every year for halloween. All the neighbors on our street would come to their drive way and setup our chairs in a horseshoe and all the lights to all the homes on our street would be out except for this house. All the kids would come to his driveway and go around the horseshoe getting candy. It was great to sit around and drink beer and hear about the crazy things our neighbors were doing. It was pretty common that if someone was going out of town, we would band together to take care of pets, mow lawns and pick up mail and newspapers. While that may not be the case in your neck of Alamo Ranch, that sense of community definitely exists in pockets of San Antonio.

- The Alamo Community Colleges. While they are just community colleges, I found the classes I took there to be not only valuable but affordable. When you need to learn something specific and you want a painless way to gain that knowledge, ACCD really is a good value and it is a resource that is probably overlooked by a lot of people that live there.

- I am also going to miss the beauty of the River Walk at Christmas.

Even with all those positives, we still felt we had to move because of all the reasons you listed as dislikes and then some. San Antonio and it's culture just isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's not necessarily a bad place to live but if you only live once, why not live somewhere that makes you happy to wake up every morning? San Antonio was not that place for us.

YMMV

Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,451,437 times
Is Kerrville the next Boerne? When does it end? All of the people that keep talking about how great it is to move further and further out don't realize how silly they are.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Quote:
(my child isn't able to enroll in PreK, we make too much $/aren't military & she speaks english. Where's the importance of early childhood education!?)
Since when did PreK become an entitlement? If you want to send your kid to preschool, find a good one and pay to send her/him!

My kids went to an excellent preschool. We paid thousands a year in tuition for them to go there. It's what people in the USA who "make too much $/aren't military" do!

As for the other issues on your list OP, I would argue that they're more characteristics of the part of town you chose to live in. If these are deal-breakers for you, talk to a good real estate agent about whether there's a part of the city that will better meet your needs. Alamo Ranch doesn't seem to be getting it done.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 AM

501 posts, read 839,874 times
Quote:
School District (my child isn't able to enroll in PreK, we make too much $/aren't military & she speaks english. Where's the importance of early childhood education!?)
Are you speaking of the PreK4SA program? If so, yes, there is certain criteria needed to be met to enroll in that program. Otherwise, none of that should stop your child from enrolling in pre-k.

Quote:
Racism(if not of Hispanic culture)
Honey, San Antonio is about as racist as California is conservative.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 AM

818 posts, read 986,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Honey, San Antonio is about as racist as California is conservative.
This is your opinion, and while you're certainly entitled to it, MANY others have come on here and expressed a completely different opinion. I, for one, have seen extensive racism (hispanic against white) in San Antonio. The fact that you don't think it happens doesn't mean it didn't.

If you haven't experienced it, or didn't realize it was happening, that is great for you but please don't be condescending to those that have experienced it.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,830,718 times
1. It is in Texas.
2. Relatively centrally located. Relative being the operative term since the state is large.
3. Fair amount of things to do.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:27 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,875,069 times
As a Caucasian I have not had a run in with racism against me. I'm kind of curious as to what it looks like? Can anyone recall an racist event here in San Antonio?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM

501 posts, read 839,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
This is your opinion, and while you're certainly entitled to it, MANY others have come on here and expressed a completely different opinion. I, for one, have seen extensive racism (hispanic against white) in San Antonio. The fact that you don't think it happens doesn't mean it didn't.

If you haven't experienced it, or didn't realize it was happening, that is great for you but please don't be condescending to those that have experienced it.
[Mod cut: off topic/trolling]

Are there racists in San Antonio? Sure. There's racists in every city in this country and without taking a big leap, I'd say also every city in the world. But in San Antonio, that racist subset is a microscopic fraction of the overall population.

But can you take isolated racism and then make a blanket statement or infer that "San Antonio is a racist city"? No.

Just as you can't claim California is a conservative state because there is conservative residents and they've voted down gay marriage.

That was my point.

Not that people who claimed to have been discriminated against because of their race or skin color are lying. But that taking a small percentage of the population and applying it to everyone or the entire city and making a blanket claim or statement is erroneous.

Last edited by elnina; 10-01-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio