U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 PM

818 posts, read 985,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
First off, that wasn't an opinion, it was an analogy.

Second, if you didn't understand the analogy used against a blanket statement claim, then I don't even know if I should explain it.
I understand the analogy and that it was an analogy. You used an analogy to state your opinion. You also used hyperbole to bolster the opinion. The fact that the statement can fall into multiple categories doesn't make it any less an opinion. I read it as coming from a condescending place. My apologies if I misread your intent.

Quote:
Are there racists in San Antonio? Sure. There's racists in every city in this country and without taking a big leap, I'd say also every city in the world. But in San Antonio, that racist subset is a microscopic fraction of the overall population.

But can you take isolated racism and then make a blanket statement or infer that "San Antonio is a racist city"? No.

Not that people who claimed to have been discriminated against because of their race or skin color are lying. But that taking a small percentage of the population and applying it to everyone or the entire city and making a blanket claim or statement is erroneous.
Fair enough, although I would argue the 'microscopic fraction' assessment. But, it is just as inaccurate to say that there isn't racism in San Antonio simply because you haven't experienced it. I am not saying you made that claim but others (in this thread and previous threads) have suggested it if not flat out proclaiming that opinion to be fact.

I think a fair assessment to make here is, while white people may find very few places in the country where they might feel like they were discrimated against, San Antonio might be one of those places because whites are not in the majority. Some people would say San Antonio is likely to be one of those places, some would argue it isn't.

I grant you that it would be anecdotal but I would still be interested in seeing a legitimate poll here where the question is asked - As a white person, do you feel you are discriminated against in San Antonio. (Legitimate meaning no one games the poll to get the outcome they seek).

Yes occasionally
Yes regularly
Not that I am aware of
No, it's never happened to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 12:56 PM

25 posts, read 50,463 times
Thank you again to those that replied with insight. We worked with, what we thought was a great realtor, who informed us Alamo Ranch was in the best school district, safe & a growing area. Looking at the other areas she showed us, I don't think I'd feel any diffrent right now. We have really tried to get to know our neighbors, even making up May Day baskets, but they just don't want to have the community we're longing for.

I wasn't expecting so much hostility, this has totally validated my feelings for the city! I really hope it's just SA & not the state, we're spending a week in Dallas/Ft Worth in a few days. Adiós

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Since when did PreK become an entitlement? If you want to send your kid to preschool, find a good one and pay to send her/him!

My kids went to an excellent preschool. We paid thousands a year in tuition for them to go there. It's what people in the USA who "make too much $/aren't military" do!

I do feel the need to address the above. Living in the USA, PreK-12 is an entitlement! So many other cities/states welcome & encourage children as young a 3 to start PreK through the state. Based on income @3, but not DENYING become parents that work for a living. I'm pro public school's, so much more diversity and it's our given right! I'd much rather take the "thousands of dollars" and save for college, retirement(so my child doesn't have to support me) & our emergency savings....that's what responsible parent's do!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,869,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naj609 View Post
Thank you again to those that replied with insight. We worked with, what we thought was a great realtor, who informed us Alamo Ranch was in the best school district, safe & a growing area. Looking at the other areas she showed us, I don't think I'd feel any diffrent right now. We have really tried to get to know our neighbors, even making up May Day baskets, but they just don't want to have the community we're longing for.

I wasn't expecting so much hostility, this has totally validated my feelings for the city! I really hope it's just SA & not the state, we're spending a week in Dallas/Ft Worth in a few days. Adiós

I do feel the need to address the above. Living in the USA, PreK-12 is an entitlement! So many other cities/states welcome & encourage children as young a 3 to start PreK through the state. Based on income @3, but not DENYING become parents that work for a living. I'm pro public school's, so much more diversity and it's our given right! I'd much rather take the "thousands of dollars" and save for college, retirement(so my child doesn't have to support me) & our emergency savings....that's what responsible parent's do!

This statement sums up why you might be unhappy here...I'm not sure if you are familiar with the online forum community but post this topic in any other city specific forum and you will get dialogue about the same...having realistic expectations are a must!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
Quote:
That may be your view, but it's not the prevailing view in the US. I don't know of any states that provide Pre-K for every student, regardless of income. It definitely would not be the prevailing view of state government in Texas.

From the wikipedia definition of Pre-K:

"Pre-kindergarten in the United States is an early learning program to prepare children for kindergarten who are identified as at risk."

And since there's a limit to how much we're allowed to quote here, there's a paragraph-long definition of "at risk" on that page, which essentially limits the entitlement to low-income, non-English speakers and military dependents.

That leaves you with the other sentence I'm going to quote for you from that article: "The majority of pre-kindergarten programs have been operated by private organizations for the purpose of socialization and educational benefits since 1922."

The United States hasn't even offered Pre-K education on a private basis for 100 years. It's not engrained in the culture here.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,522,256 times
Hmm I can't really find any hostility directed towards the OP. I can see brutal honesty, and maybe the realization that they made a bad decision is weighing heavily on their mind. To the op, I don't know what you think your going to find in DFW. If you think racism is bad here wait till you are in Dallas. If you think that community is poor in an area of gated communities here wait till they stretch for miles over open prairie.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:35 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,380,414 times
Quote:
Thank you again to those that replied with insight. We worked with, what we thought was a great realtor, who informed us Alamo Ranch was in the best school district, safe & a growing area. Looking at the other areas she showed us, I don't think I'd feel any diffrent right now.
If your realtor thinks Alamo Ranch is the best place to be, she probably showed you other areas that are very similar, so I'm not at all surprised you didn't find anything different. While she may be a great realtor for Alamo Ranch, she's clearly not a great realtor for her clients if you were clear about your needs.

I'm sorry it's not working out for you. Much better to go to a place that you'll like. But I'd recommend for anyone who might be reading who might be concerned about this particular issue - find a realtor that really does understand your needs. I went through a few when we were first looking who, despite my discussion of wanting an urban, walkable area, with a sense of community, were sending me stuff for new subdivisions outside 1604. Fortunately I'd been renting here for a few years before buying, so I knew they were not the realtors for me.

While I haven't had kids in other states, I've lived in quite a few, and none (including CA), have pre-K for all. That's why the SA model is such a hot topic right now - will it make enough of a difference that we need to make it available for all? It's the norm in most European countries, but not in the US.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
What exactly does that mean? Please share your deep insight with us , wise one.
He's not saying, because he's not allowed to use the "t" word to describe the OP, since that would be considered a personal attack.

I don't happen to think the "t" word applies to the OP. It's a common mistake at City-Data, to assume that the "t" word applies anyone who posts comments critical of a place in the forum for that place. Those who think it does should probably heed the relevant words in the TOS.

Quote:
Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM

161 posts, read 191,890 times
Most people move here, with high hopes and expectations, but perhaps find out SA is not their cup of tea. They come here asking questions, trying to sort it out, and many looking for help and reasons to STAY.
But anything negative turns all the locals' and wannabe locals' world upside down and on the defensive.
Or, worse...they insinuate that just because people decide this city has been disappointing, they are the "t" word or up to no good. How ridiculous. People are just sharing, for gosh sakes.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,075,952 times
Things I like about SA:
-Traffic. After living in Austin, rush hour here is nothing.
-It's one of the gateways to the Hill Country.
-The parks.
-Many free or cheap activities- although I wish some were easier to find. I find out about a lot of neat activities after they have passed. I must not be looking in the right places to find them.
-I like the homeschool groups that I have joined.
-There's not as much competition in the massage industry here like there is in other places. When I'm ready to start my business I feel confident that it will be successful.
-I have no trouble finding tacos and margaritas.
-Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb weather
-My dentist. It's so hard to find one I like. Mine had me laughing throughout my root canal.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,437,036 times
Quote:
Are you speaking of the PreK4SA program? If so, yes, there is certain criteria needed to be met to enroll in that program. Otherwise, none of that should stop your child from enrolling in pre-k.
Nope.

For any publicly funded PreK, the criteria are the same.

As another poster mentioned, however, you are always welcome to pay to enroll your child on a private PreK program. Public education officially begins with Kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio