U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:41 AM

818 posts, read 981,677 times

Advertisements

[Mod cut: orphaned/post has been deleted]
I get it that those that love San Antonio would want to defend their city but that defense is kind of a double edged sword.

On the one hand they get mad whenever anyone says anything they deem to be negative about San Antonio. On the other hand, when someone comes on the forum here and says 'San Antonio didn't meet my expectations for X reason' then they get all bent out of shape and say 'well, what did you expect?'. The point being, if you don't allow for honest discourse about the positives and negatives of an area, then there isn't much point in having a forum to allow people to ask questions about a particular area. I mean if you only want positive information out there but then chastise people for expecting the place to live up to a standard that you helped set, what's the point?

Personally, I prefer to hear both sides of a story when making an important decision like whether or not to relocate. I am mature enough to decide what I can live with and what I can't. There are many here that would prefer you don't hear both sides because they feel it hurts the reputation of a city they love whenever anything negative is posted.

What I really get a kick out of is when someone has the gall to suggest that people in San Antonio are possibly not as friendly as locals like to pat themselves on the back for being. Then when they post that people here aren't friendly, they get ripped to shreds on the forum. Then they have the nerve to ask, 'what do you mean we're not friendly a-hole??? Go back to where ever you came from and shut your pie hole. OF COURSE WE'RE FRIENDLY!!!'

YMMV

Last edited by elnina; 10-01-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
San Antonio has its' faults - any city does. Overall, the citizens and area are a true gem in my opinion. One of the few major metro's in the world where folks will pull over to see if you need help, or go out of their way to lend you a hand.

The "leadership" of this city is so eager to "measure up" to "big city standards" that it's comical. Streetcars, PreK - the list goes on as money is squandered in an effort to be a "world class city" by standards they have established themselves. There's a growing, unfunded and unplanned batch of bills that are going to come due - and when they do, it's gonna get ugly.

Having said that.....San Antonio will continue to grow, and will work its' way out of the mess. It's not the first time "progressives" have been in control, nor will it be the last - and the citizens wake up, correct course.....and go back about their business.

My family has been in SA since the 1800's. We live in New Braunfels now (maternal side were among the founders), but I still consider SA to be a city worth living in for many. Does it have its' share of problems? Sure it does - but so do many other large cities. Celebrate the strengths, work on the weaknesses, and stop flailing on yourselfs - LOTS of cities WISH they could call themselves San Antonio!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM

425 posts, read 513,294 times
The OP clearly has little forum/internet experience. To form an opinion based off a bunch of forum posts is probably the worst thing you can do.
Too many trolls or people who argue for the sake of arguing.
Most people who post on forums are odd anyway.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,740,567 times
Bspray, You don't see that on other city and state threads too? I certainly have, so why single out SA? When someone comes on and runs down peoples hometown or place they prefer living, expect to get salty talk back. If the person feeling disappointed in some way points out the positives while discussing the things that have disappointed them, people are usually reasonable and without anger back. If one starts out rude and hostile, calls the people of the area names, shows only disrespect, don't expect a warm reception in return.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 PM

818 posts, read 981,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Bspray, You don't see that on other city and state threads too? I certainly have, so why single out SA? When someone comes on and runs down peoples hometown or place they prefer living, expect to get salty talk back. If the person feeling disappointed in some way points out the positives while discussing the things that have disappointed them, people are usually reasonable and without anger back. If one starts out rude and hostile, calls the people of the area names, shows only disrespect, don't expect a warm reception in return.
Todd, I only participate in the forums of two cities, the place I live now (Nashville) and the place I spent most of the last 20 years of my life (San Antonio). I don't have the benefit of a large body of posts to base my opinion on.

I don't notice nearly as much negative posting about Nashville. I think this is mostly because it is a great place to live. What I have noticed on the Nashville forum is kind of amusing. Because the area is growing so quickly, a lot of the locals (who love where they live) will, tongue in cheek, talk about the negative aspects of Nashville (some real, some made up) to discourage more people from coming here and making traffic worse. It has become an inside joke and I enjoy it.

I also notice, on the rare occasion someone does have something legitimately negative to say about Nashville, people will have a dialogue with them about the issue and typically agree to disagree, but they don't lash out at the person. Maybe it is just my perception but people on the Nashville forum don't seem to be as defensive as they are in San Antonio. Hence my observation that people in San Antonio (at least a fair number on this forum) aren't really as nice as they portray themselves (and the area) to be.

Then again, maybe it's just that Nashville has a culture much more inline with where and how I grew up and I am more comfortable here and identify more with other people's opinions than I did in San Antonio.

Of course my comments don't apply to everyone in San Antonio and San Antonio does have a lot of great things going for it. I just wish it was safe to bring up some of the negative issues and have a discussion without so much animosity.

On a positive note, the San Antonio forum is head and shoulders better than the Nashville forum when it comes to things like, taking a picture of an obscure location and asking people to guess where it is - then you get to read people chiming in about the history of that location. I absolutely LOVE those threads and Nashville just doesn't have anything like it.

So, to answer your question, no I don't see as much of the defensive tone on the one other forum I participate in but my scope is definitely limited.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Todd, I only participate in the forums of two cities, the place I live now (Nashville) and the place I spent most of the last 20 years of my life (San Antonio). I don't have the benefit of a large body of posts to base my opinion on.
The phenomenon of local folks getting testy when negative things are posted about their city in their local forum is not unique to San Antonio among Texas cities.

When I was a moderator, I moderated forums for other cities besides this one. I have seen it happen in the forums for Houston, El Paso, and Austin. It tends to be more pronounced when the person doing the criticizing has a low post count. That's probably something the OP should take note of. The criticism of new posters isn't personal, it's more like probing to see what your intentions are.

The premise of this thread is definitely being viewed as negative. In effect it's "I don't like San Antonio, but tell me why I should."

Old 10-01-2013, 03:04 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,841,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post

I don't notice nearly as much negative posting about Nashville. I think this is mostly because it is a great place to live. What I have noticed on the Nashville forum is kind of amusing. Because the area is growing so quickly, a lot of the locals (who love where they live) will, tongue in cheek, talk about the negative aspects of Nashville (some real, some made up) to discourage more people from coming here and making traffic worse. It has become an inside joke and I enjoy it.

I also notice, on the rare occasion someone does have something legitimately negative to say about Nashville, people will have a dialogue with them about the issue and typically agree to disagree, but they don't lash out at the person. Maybe it is just my perception but people on the Nashville forum don't seem to be as defensive as they are in San Antonio. Hence my observation that people in San Antonio (at least a fair number on this forum) aren't really as nice as they portray themselves (and the area) to be.

Then again, maybe it's just that Nashville has a culture much more inline with where and how I grew up and I am more comfortable here and identify more with other people's opinions than I did in San Antonio.

Of course my comments don't apply to everyone in San Antonio and San Antonio does have a lot of great things going for it. I just wish it was safe to bring up some of the negative issues and have a discussion without so much animosity.

On a positive note, the San Antonio forum is head and shoulders better than the Nashville forum when it comes to things like, taking a picture of an obscure location and asking people to guess where it is - then you get to read people chiming in about the history of that location. I absolutely LOVE those threads and Nashville just doesn't have anything like it.

So, to answer your question, no I don't see as much of the defensive tone on the one other forum I participate in but my scope is definitely limited.
It might have something to do with San Antonio having 358,000+ post vs. Nashville with only 72,000+ post....

Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM

161 posts, read 191,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The phenomenon of local folks getting testy when negative things are posted about their city in their local forum is not unique to San Antonio among Texas cities.

When I was a moderator, I moderated forums for other cities besides this one. I have seen it happen in the forums for Houston, El Paso, and Austin. It tends to be more pronounced when the person doing the criticizing has a low post count. That's probably something the OP should take note of. The criticism of new posters isn't personal, it's more like probing to see what your intentions are.

The premise of this thread is definitely being viewed as negative. In effect it's "I don't like San Antonio, but tell me why I should."
Perhaps it's a Texas "thing", then, because I don't see this nearly as much in other city discussions. I don't understand your "probing" comment, either. Why does everyone have to make it seem so sinister? Haven't you ever went somewhere with the highest of hopes, investing your time and money, only to get very let down and realize it just wasn't right? Maybe before throwing in the towel and leaving, they are looking for support.
The post -count thing is silly...maybe they have been reading here for months and finally get the courage to ask for help or share. I don't think you'll have that problem much anymore after watching how the OP was treated.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
The "leadership" of this city is so eager to "measure up" to "big city standards" that it's comical. Streetcars, PreK - the list goes on as money is squandered in an effort to be a "world class city" by standards they have established themselves. There's a growing, unfunded and unplanned batch of bills that are going to come due - and when they do, it's gonna get ugly.
And then there are those of us San Antonians who are thrilled that this city is FINALLY catching up to the rest of the world - recognizing the importance treating all its citizens with respect and dignity and equality. Offering opportunities such as education, to those who can't afford it so that we may finally dig ourselves out of this third world quagmire in which we've been enmeshed.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,841,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
And then there are those of us San Antonians who are thrilled that this city is FINALLY catching up to the rest of the world - recognizing the importance treating all its citizens with respect and dignity and equality. Offering opportunities such as education, to those who can't afford it so that we may finally dig ourselves out of this third world quagmire in which we've been enmeshed.

1. Not the job of the city.

2. The city is spending TWICE as much per kid.

3. Those same kids ALREADY had access to educational opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio