U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 PM

25 posts, read 50,457 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time adjusting to San Antonio, we moved here 6 months ago. Please share why you continue living here. Maybe from my dislikes, what/where I'm missing it. Thanks!

About me:
We've lived coast to coast & I was raised in the Midwest. Family of 3 with a preschooler( Non military). We are living on the NW side, Alamo Ranch area. We're Italian.

I dislike:
There isn't a sense of community(gated & everyone ignores each other)
School District (my child isn't able to enroll in PreK, we make too much $/aren't military & she speaks english. Where's the importance of early childhood education!?)
Shopping (so many rude people & just walking away from your buggy taking up the entire aisle)
Traffic ( no explaintion needed )
Horrible public transportation
Racism(if not of Hispanic culture)

What I like:
The Riverwalk
Weather
Historic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:58 PM

243 posts, read 283,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naj609 View Post
I'm having a hard time adjusting to San Antonio, we moved here 6 months ago. Please share why you continue living here. Maybe from my dislikes, what/where I'm missing it. Thanks!

About me:
We've lived coast to coast & I was raised in the Midwest. Family of 3 with a preschooler( Non military). We are living on the NW side, Alamo Ranch area. We're Italian.

I dislike:
There isn't a sense of community(gated & everyone ignores each other) This holds true for most areas today sadly.
School District (my child isn't able to enroll in PreK, we make too much $/aren't military & she speaks english. Where's the importance of early childhood education!?) PreK here was nothing more than a way to secure votes from voters for some of our politicians.
Shopping (so many rude people & just walking away from your buggy taking up the entire aisle) Sadly America has become a very rude place as a whole.
Traffic ( no explaintion needed )
Horrible public transportation Some would call us backwards on this one, but people here still love the freedom their personal vehicles give them and have very little use of public trans.
Racism(if not of Hispanic culture)This is to be expected from some but certainly not by all. I have encountered this also but it has been on a very rare occasion.

What I like:
The Riverwalk
Weather
Historic
Even with it's downsides I would still not want to live anywhere else. SA has been home to me for more than 50 years.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,521,120 times
Quote:
We are living on the NW side, Alamo Ranch area.
. This is your issue, if you wanted a sense of community, public transportation or any of your other issues you should never live outside 1604, or even 410.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 PM

161 posts, read 191,874 times
OP, we don't care for it, either. Would I have chosen a different area of SA if I had taken more time? Absolutely. Would it have changed my mind as to moving? No.
The weather is a deal-breaker for us. We still can't get used to the tagging/litter aspect of the area, as well. I've always tried really hard to find things to like about a place and raised my kids the same; this has been, by far, the hardest for me to do in SA. But I respect some love it. We just need four seasons, I think.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,074,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
OP, we don't care for it, either. Would I have chosen a different area of SA if I had taken more time? Absolutely. Would it have changed my mind as to moving? No.
The weather is a deal-breaker for us. We still can't get used to the tagging/litter aspect of the area, as well. I've always tried really hard to find things to like about a place and raised my kids the same; this has been, by far, the hardest for me to do in SA. But I respect some love it. We just need four seasons, I think.
There's nothing wrong with not being in love with SA. I can take it or leave it myself. I also understand some people feel it is heaven on earth. If that's the case for some, that's great, but that still doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 PM

161 posts, read 191,874 times
Thank you for validating that, Carlitasway! I really appreciate it; you know, I'm sure many here would not care for Denver or the mid-west, which I totally understand. My sister loves it here and is in fact, moving here about the time we leave.
She's in Seattle and thinks this heat is wonderful.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:41 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,654,561 times
I had a hard time adjusting to San Antonio myself after moving here from NYC in 2001. However, I've met wonderful people, encountered great museums, restaurants, events and things to do and have generally grown to love San Antonio, despite the hot weather. Even the weather isn't that much of a detractor provided that you enjoy a pool from time to time & the AC in your car works pretty well.

Public transportation in a town that lacks density simply isn't feasible, so I am grateful that while we always use cars, the road system is pretty good. And while they may be slow at improving it, they do improve it (new ramps, new parkways, new roads, road expansions), which is more than I can say for other cities.

I like San Antonio. I certainly don't love it like I loved New York or Los Angeles. But I definitely like it and enjoy it to the fullest.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 PM

25 posts, read 50,457 times
Thank you for the responses so far, I appreciate them all.
I think we're enjoying the weather, as we just spent a few years in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
. This is your issue, if you wanted a sense of community, public transportation or any of your other issues you should never live outside 1604, or even 410.
Could you explain more? 1604 is right by us, we're not secluded.

Edit: Gosh the tagging here is nuts! Was just at Lowes last night & saw spray paint is locked up, I've never experienced that before.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,521,120 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses so far, I appreciate them all.
I think we're enjoying the weather, as we just spent a few years in Seattle.

Could you explain more? 1604 is right by us, we're not secluded.

Edit: Gosh the tagging here is nuts! Was just at Lowes last night & saw spray paint is locked up, I've never experienced that before.
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but psychologically I consider most if not everything outside of 1604 to be secluded. Cul de sacs, and big box stores as well as whole subdivisions of transplants aren't conducive to community.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 PM

6,274 posts, read 9,032,549 times
"Community" is a two-way street, in my experience. We've had neighborhood BBQ's at our place, and the first coupla times, maybe 5-6 folks showed up. Last one we had, over 100 showed - that's just the folks on this block. Went from glances at each other to waves, and stopping alongside the street to visit w/each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio