U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2013, 02:04 PM

167 posts, read 150,694 times

Advertisements

I am at Dezavala/Lockhill Selma facing north/northwest. I have the supposedly better outdoor antenna but am not allowed to place it on the exterior/be seen of our condo. I believe the towers are souteast of town. I can get mexican channels which I have no desire....
I have tried the indoor/outdoor flat panal digital antennas with even less response trying indoors/outdoors. What do you suggest (no I cannot/will not pay cable to watch tv at $70 bucks or more. Dish tv will not receive here plus I refuse to pay monthly for tv! When TW WAS $12/month I would. But tv companies have gotten too greedy.
Thanks
Ps I do not have an attic to place an antenna in...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,572 posts, read 21,246,823 times
If the walls of the building have metal in them or on the outside, you're going to have a bad time getting reception inside the building. Closer to a window is a better location than an interior wall. Do you have an outdoor patio? I'm sure there are antennas that could sit on the patio which don't look like antennas to passersby.

The article at the link below has some good recommendations for indoor antennas.

The ClearStream2 Indoor Antenna Is as Powerful as They Come, Makes Cutting Cable a Snap

Old 09-28-2013, 03:29 PM

2,255 posts, read 3,500,328 times
Yeah, gotta love our morons in DC that have improved TV so good that nobody can get it, like as if they had even a faint clue about TVs. Best of luck is about as good as yer gonna get. The ones like Bo gave a link to are highly directional. My brother has one and his works great down in the valley but here you have stations broadcasting from downtown, southeast of town and at Medina lake. You'll be constantly moving it every time you change stations. I'm another one that has bought just about every brand out there and none work 100%. The best so far is the RCA with the amp on it. It's a flat panel and you most likely have already tried one. I put mine in a nearby window for best reception. Another way of seeing your favorite programs is to watch it online. There's a ton of places on the net that has TV available for free. You will need high speed internet though. Look around and you'll also find most movies are available online free, sometimes available by the studios for your feedback before the movie is even released. There's a lot of advantages to watching online. You can watch at your convenience and it's normally commercial free. DM me if you want websites.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Bo and trapper....
I am using the Clearstream 2 now! I have put it on the patio facing southeast....after trying every possible direction/tilt. (
I have tried it in my kitchen window and got 17.1-mexican only!! Oh...and every religious 23. Station!(
I have newer digital tv Vizio and JVC. Set on 'air/antenna' and still zip. Siding on building is the cement-synthetic Hardieboard.
Sigh......
Oh...can't watch online. ..only have cell phone internet-limited. Ya sure don't want to stream anymore since internet is no longer unlimited!

Last edited by Sasha's; 09-28-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM

102 posts, read 131,593 times
This looks like it will be a good option when it comes to SA. Yes, I know it requires Internet, but as far as I know, AT&T & TW don't charge for usage, just varying rates based on connection speed:

Aereo TV service on way to S.A. - San Antonio Express-News

Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM

880 posts, read 923,220 times
After you hook everything up, make sure you do a channel scan on your tv. It will program whatever channel it picks up into your tv, I made the mistake of not doing that when I hooked up my antenna,
and I couldn't get squat either. Don't know what kind of tv you have but on mine (Vizio), go to tv settings...then tuner, then to auto scan. Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:31 PM

3,057 posts, read 3,982,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
After you hook everything up, make sure you do a channel scan on your tv. It will program whatever channel it picks up into your tv, I made the mistake of not doing that when I hooked up my antenna,
and I couldn't get squat either. Don't know what kind of tv you have but on mine (Vizio), go to tv settings...then tuner, then to auto scan. Hope this helps.
Do a scan often. I had the hardest time getting 12 when I bought the flat panel RCA one from Target and finally gave up and bought the actual rabbit ears and have not had nearly as much trouble. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but i can get my channel 12 now.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,572 posts, read 21,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Do a scan often. I had the hardest time getting 12 when I bought the flat panel RCA one from Target and finally gave up and bought the actual rabbit ears and have not had nearly as much trouble. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but i can get my channel 12 now.
12 and 9 are the only stations in town on VHF. If your antenna is a UHF antenna, you probably won't be able to receive the VHF stations without the rabbit ears.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:15 PM

3,057 posts, read 3,982,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
12 and 9 are the only stations in town on VHF. If your antenna is a UHF antenna, you probably won't be able to receive the VHF stations without the rabbit ears.
The first was both as was the second. For whatever reason the second set worked better.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Rabbit ears AND antenna!? I thought digital was an advancement not punishment. ..
I have Vizio and JVC tv's. I have scanned frequently. The JVC gets 17.1 only. I use it for dvd movies only. Thanks FCC digital tv...(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio