Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:45 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times

Advertisements

Ah OK. The adults were targeted on this web site. That clears things up. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:58 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
I just plugged my address in on the site. Seems that I live near the "rude cop" as well. Sadly, I'm pretty sure I know the guy they're talking about. The comment is correct, he doesn't bother with anyone. Won't even say "Hi".
I've seen the police motorcycle outside in his driveway. It almost has to be him.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 PM

174 posts, read 505,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
I have to agree. A site like this could lead to extreme issues between neighbors. I am from the age where if you can't say something to someones' face you should not be saying it at all. This site seems very cowardly and immature.

JMHO
I'm inclined to agree with your statement about talking behind someone's back. That is, if it were to exist for the purpose of promoting gossip. However, the site (hopefully) exists in the spirit of the internet, for the dissemination of information. In that regard I have to disagree with you.

Gossip is cowardly and immature, and reveals a lack of personal integrity in the bearer. But, there is a difference in becoming informed. I'll admit I haven't looked over the vast expanse of San Antonio, just certain areas and I find most of what was written seemed valid. The exception would be the one in the middle of Alamo Heights and if elements of it are untrue, there is a case for slander.

There is no doubt it has the potential for misuse, but it also has the potential for being a valuable resource. I'm of the mind that the latter outweighs the negatives of the former.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
I JUST learned about this site last night!!!
I follow a few threads on Court TV's website (out of HUNDREDS mind you) and there is quite an active thread regarding a young lady who committed suicide after the PARENTS (grown adults) of a neighborhood schoolmate set her up via 'my space'.....!!!!!!
apparently a very huge story, but I'd not heard of it till a day or so ago....

Anyway, there are links to SEVERAL blogs regarding this poor young girl and someone has targeted out these two adults who posted and misled the young girl by posing as 'boy', courting and wooing her... (can you imagine such childish, ridiculous behavior from alleged ADULTS, raising a teen of their own????).....
Before this hit nationwide news, someone involved with the group from Myspace posted a skewed view of what happened to another group who proceeded to attack the guestbook of the funeral home where the services were held. Horrible accusations were leveled against the parents of the girl, and just stomach turning comments were left. Pages and pages of filth. This family has been victimized in a way I can barely stand to try and comprehend.

I hope someone has the wisdom to sort this out properly and justice be meted appropriately.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I'm inclined to agree with your statement about talking behind someone's back. That is, if it were to exist for the purpose of promoting gossip. However, the site (hopefully) exists in the spirit of the internet, for the dissemination of information. In that regard I have to disagree with you.

Gossip is cowardly and immature, and reveals a lack of personal integrity in the bearer. But, there is a difference in becoming informed. I'll admit I haven't looked over the vast expanse of San Antonio, just certain areas and I find most of what was written seemed valid. The exception would be the one in the middle of Alamo Heights and if elements of it are untrue, there is a case for slander.

There is no doubt it has the potential for misuse, but it also has the potential for being a valuable resource. I'm of the mind that the latter outweighs the negatives of the former.

I see your point but from what I have seen on the site and the way it is marketed is looks to incite controversy rather than truly be a benefit. There does not seem to be any way to be objective therefore a post can truly be inflammatory instead of a true representation of a neighbor. Just the name alone implies that the developers are interested in hearing "dirt" on a "rotten" neighbor.

I guess some good could come from it but I am more inclined to think that the majority of posts would be someones subjective idea of a rotten neighbor and therefore is not to be taken as fact.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM

Don't judge them too harshly for the name. I've been in on the naming of many internet sites and finding a name that is descriptive, available and above all memorable, isn't an easy task. Finally, no matter how many of those points a name met, brevity won out.

We used to sit around, all of us with our yellow legal pads, writing out a long list of names; occasionally voicing what we thought were the especially good ones to see if we got a yea! or a groan. Then we'd compile them onto a master list, and finally plug the list into a script to check for availability. The end results were often rather quirky, but effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio