U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 11,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You can learn a lot of the basics about San Antonio by reading the City-Data page for the community. http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Antonio-Texas.html

Summer Heat is pretty high here 3 months of the year but the other 9 months are really pleasant compared to NY. You can enjoy the outdoors 9 months of the year. Enjoying the summer heat requires that you get involved with water sports, swimming, tubing, canoeing, boating... there are numerous rivers and swimming holes and a few lakes near by. And the Gulf coast beach is only 2.5 hours away to Port Aransas.

Violent Crime Rate statistics are comparable between SA/TX and NY/NY. But property crime is higher, mostly burglary and theft. NYC has surprisingly low crime rates, much lower then the national average, which I find hard to believe. I suspect they are cooking the books.

Crime Rates/100,000................SA,TX..................NY,N Y
Murder.....................................6.6.... .................6.3
Rapes....................................36.3..... ................13.3
Robberies..............................131.7...... ............240.6
Assaults.................................344.7.... ..............363.2
Burglary...............................1131.4..... .............221.1
Thefts .................................4400.4........... .......137.4
Auto thefts.............................434.8.......... ........114.9
Arson.......................................15.4.. ................???
Total.......................................451.9. ................254.4........National Average...........319.1
You really meant to say 9 months of heat, 3 months of pleasant weather, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 8,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbohannon82 View Post
You really meant to say 9 months of heat, 3 months of pleasant weather, right?
Three months June, July, August are the hottest months of the summer. May and September are hit and miss when it comes to good weather. Some days are good, some are hot/humid and others are really hot. The rest of the year plays out well.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,691 times
May and September are hot, no matter how you slice and dice it. For someone from NY...it'll be reeaalllll hot. Anything in the mid-upper 80's is hot to someone from the NE..that covers pretty much all of May and September. Could be late April and early October as well.
I'm a formr NY-er and have been here for 7 years...it's still hot for us...it's a long hot summer. Even tougher to endure if one is overweight/out of shape, I would guess.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
May and September are hot, no matter how you slice and dice it. For someone from NY...it'll be reeaalllll hot. Anything in the mid-upper 80's is hot to someone from the NE..that covers pretty much all of May and September. Could be late April and early October as well.
I'm a formr NY-er and have been here for 7 years...it's still hot for us...it's a long hot summer. Even tougher to endure if one is overweight/out of shape, I would guess.
I don't think you can use blanket statements in this situation. Everyone is different and registers temperatures differently. You can't assume just because he's from the NE that high 80's is "hot" for him. Just my opinion.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You can learn a lot of the basics about San Antonio by reading the City-Data page for the community. http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Antonio-Texas.html

Summer Heat is pretty high here 3 months of the year but the other 9 months are really pleasant compared to NY. You can enjoy the outdoors 9 months of the year. Enjoying the summer heat requires that you get involved with water sports, swimming, tubing, canoeing, boating... there are numerous rivers and swimming holes and a few lakes near by. And the Gulf coast beach is only 2.5 hours away to Port Aransas.

Violent Crime Rate statistics are comparable between SA/TX and NY/NY. But property crime is higher, mostly burglary and theft. NYC has surprisingly low crime rates, much lower then the national average, which I find hard to believe. I suspect they are cooking the books.

Crime Rates/100,000................SA,TX..................NY,N Y
Murder.....................................6.6.... .................6.3
Rapes....................................36.3..... ................13.3
Robberies..............................131.7...... ............240.6
Assaults.................................344.7.... ..............363.2
Burglary...............................1131.4..... .............221.1
Thefts .................................4400.4........... .......137.4
Auto thefts.............................434.8.......... ........114.9
Arson.......................................15.4.. ................???
Total.......................................451.9. ................254.4........National Average...........319.1
Not sure why you used CD for the crime statistics. I would never use CD.

Here is ranking of the top 10 cities in America with the lowest crime rate and the bottom 10 cities in America with the highest crime rate.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2012...sFactSheet.pdf

As you can see, both New York City and San Antonio are in the top 10 for lowest crime rate.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcro View Post
I don't think you can use blanket statements in this situation. Everyone is different and registers temperatures differently. You can't assume just because he's from the NE that high 80's is "hot" for him. Just my opinion.
Actually yes, you can. No way it's hot for just 3 months here either...just no way.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Actually yes, you can. No way it's hot for just 3 months here either...just no way.
Well, in a literal sense, yes you can. But it doesn't mean you're right.

As for 3 months, well, the poster was saying those three months of summer are the hottest/most uncomfortable. It's "hot" for probably 5 months out of the year. Maybe more depending on random heat waves.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 PM

5,159 posts, read 9,672,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcro View Post
Well, in a literal sense, yes you can. But it doesn't mean you're right.

As for 3 months, well, the poster was saying those three months of summer are the hottest/most uncomfortable. It's "hot" for probably 5 months out of the year. Maybe more depending on random heat waves.
NYC had a high of 62 today, today our high will be 84. People from the NE are going to consider this hot, even though its not summer hot, its still hot for this time of year. The tempature may hot be high, but for October it's not what they are use to

Old 10-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
NYC had a high of 62 today, today our high will be 84. People from the NE are going to consider this hot, even though its not summer hot, its still hot for this time of year. The tempature may hot be high, but for October it's not what they are use to
Again, what someone thinks is "hot" is subjective. You can't speak for anyone but yourself. That's my point. That poster might think 62 is cold while someone else might think it's just right. Who knows.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,603 times
Something to remember about the weather here is for most of the day it's not very humid. At least not humid for someone who is used to east coast humidity.

So while the temperature might be 84 and that sounds warm, the humidity is far lower than a NY early summer day where it might be 84 with 70% humidity.

84 here is far more comfortable to me than 80s on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio