Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 PM

10 posts, read 18,202 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband was recently considered for a promotion with his company but the position is based out of San Antonio. We currently live in NY and we have considered moving away but Texas was not one of our choices. Can anyone provide any information on taxes, neighborhoods, jobs (since I will have to leave my job and find a new one there), weather etc. Any info anyone can provide will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Start here

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html

then come back with any more questions

Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 PM

7 posts, read 13,388 times
How much were you planning on spending per month?
What careers are you guys in?
What is your lifestyle?
Let's hear more about you, because as any city does, different areas have different characters and costs.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
My advice? Stay in NY!!

Ok not really - this is actually really nice city except for the heat. I have family there so I am biased.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
climate info can be found with a google search.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
Have you ever Been here? We are all on horseback. And wear cowboy hats. You also gotta know how to do the cowboy dance. You gotta like tortillas with everything. Even with breakfast.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,513 times
NO, San Antonio is pretty much a suburbs oriented city with a large Hispanic cultural influence.

Housing is quite affordable and the downside is the heat but not too many large weather disasters.

If you need a hipster, NYC vibe - not here. It's a car town, not a walking town for the most part.

You need to enjoy outdoorsy things to do as compared to high culture.

The state is conservative and even NY conservatives are liberals here. However, there is a reasonably strong non-conservative section of the population.

If you are like Mayor Bloomberg and horrifed that large numbers of folks have guns - not the place for you.

I once interacted with a Canadian who was terrified of our gun permit system. On the other hand, I have taken Canadian transplants to the range who are now converts.

So, adapt to the area or become an encapsulated bitter couple annoyed to be in TX. I know those who still kvetch about it after 20 years here.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
You can learn a lot of the basics about San Antonio by reading the City-Data page for the community. http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Antonio-Texas.html

Summer Heat is pretty high here 3 months of the year but the other 9 months are really pleasant compared to NY. You can enjoy the outdoors 9 months of the year. Enjoying the summer heat requires that you get involved with water sports, swimming, tubing, canoeing, boating... there are numerous rivers and swimming holes and a few lakes near by. And the Gulf coast beach is only 2.5 hours away to Port Aransas.

Violent Crime Rate statistics are comparable between SA/TX and NY/NY. But property crime is higher, mostly burglary and theft. NYC has surprisingly low crime rates, much lower then the national average, which I find hard to believe. I suspect they are cooking the books.

Crime Rates/100,000................SA,TX..................NY,N Y
Murder.....................................6.6.... .................6.3
Rapes....................................36.3..... ................13.3
Robberies..............................131.7...... ............240.6
Assaults.................................344.7.... ..............363.2
Burglary...............................1131.4..... .............221.1
Thefts .................................4400.4........... .......137.4
Auto thefts.............................434.8.......... ........114.9
Arson.......................................15.4.. ................???
Total.......................................451.9. ................254.4........National Average...........319.1

Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
^^^each police department report crime differently...

Quote:
The FBI web site recommends against using its data for ranking because these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents.[4] The FBI web site also recommends against using its data to judge how effective law enforcement agencies are, since there are many factors that influence crime rates other than law enforcement.[5]
In November 2007, the executive board of the American Society of Criminology (ASC) went further than the FBI itself, and approved a resolution opposing not only the use of the ratings to judge police departments, but also opposing any development of city crime rankings from FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCRs) at all. The resolution opposed these rankings on the grounds that they "fail to account for the many conditions affecting crime rates" and "divert attention from the individual and community characteristics that elevate crime in all cities", though it did not provide sources or further elaborate on these claims. The resolution states the rankings "represent an irresponsible misuse of the data and do groundless harm to many communities" and "work against a key goal of our society, which is a better understanding of crime-related issues by both scientists and the public".[6]
The U.S. Conference of Mayors passed a similar statement, which also committed the Conference to working with the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice "to educate reporters, elected officials, and citizens on what the (UCR) data means and doesn't mean."[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
C'mon! You know darn well it's pretty darn hot for wayyyy longer than 3 months. I'm a former NY'er and it'll be very hot for this person for at least 5 months out of the year, if not longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You can learn a lot of the basics about San Antonio by reading the City-Data page for the community. http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Antonio-Texas.html

Summer Heat is pretty high here 3 months of the year but the other 9 months are really pleasant compared to NY. You can enjoy the outdoors 9 months of the year. Enjoying the summer heat requires that you get involved with water sports, swimming, tubing, canoeing, boating... there are numerous rivers and swimming holes and a few lakes near by. And the Gulf coast beach is only 2.5 hours away to Port Aransas.

Violent Crime Rate statistics are comparable between SA/TX and NY/NY. But property crime is higher, mostly burglary and theft. NYC has surprisingly low crime rates, much lower then the national average, which I find hard to believe. I suspect they are cooking the books.

Crime Rates/100,000................SA,TX..................NY,N Y
Murder.....................................6.6.... .................6.3
Rapes....................................36.3..... ................13.3
Robberies..............................131.7...... ............240.6
Assaults.................................344.7.... ..............363.2
Burglary...............................1131.4..... .............221.1
Thefts .................................4400.4........... .......137.4
Auto thefts.............................434.8.......... ........114.9
Arson.......................................15.4.. ................???
Total.......................................451.9. ................254.4........National Average...........319.1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio