U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,524 times

Advertisements

I have a tough 92 Mustang GT and would like a complete paint job without paying too much money! Am also looking for affordable upholstery work. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,119,473 times
What part of town?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,174,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgarza1st View Post
I have a tough 92 Mustang GT and would like a complete paint job without paying too much money! Am also looking for affordable upholstery work. Can anyone help?
There are some things to consider before you look for a complete
paint job without paying too much...

Are you planning on keeping or selling the Mustang ?

Please understand that a low budget paint job won't
last long.

A complete paint job that lasts & looks good for long period
requires preparation before applying the paints.

I had a complete paint job without paying too much &
a year later the paint is peeling & fading.

Anybody can paint a car, but doing it right takes time,
preparation & knowing what chemicals or paints that
will work together. But it will cost. Good Luck !

Old 10-09-2013, 05:53 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,414,002 times
Default Automobile Paint Job, reasonably priced,

Ranchodrive is very correct ! Surface preparation is what painting a car is all about.
Preparing the surface yourself in advance of painting can save a lot of money in labor costs.
All of the parking lot chips can be sanded and primed and sanded and prepped at home if you want a
reasonably priced paint job.
The Paint and Body shop will charge you a small fortune to do all this prep work. It is a lot of work
but it will asure you that the paint will not "fall off " of the car body within a year. Cheap work
will do that. On the cheap like Maaco does these automoblie bodies , well they only quickly sand it
once and then with out primer they will paint it. They do spray some sort of "primer" that does make the new paint stick to the surface.
Removing the windows and trim is the best way but they do not do this painting of your mustang they just mask with tape over the windows and trim. Properly done it will cost a small fortune-$4000.00. And up.
This is a hurried job by Maaco, production line style, and overspray and sanded down bits of trim can happen even during only one- sanding of the body. End Finishes can vary from shop to shop and so take pictures of the trim before the job. If they mess anything up it is their fault , so show them these pictures before hand.
Maaco will do a factory paint with clear coat with a five year guarantee for $1100.00 with modern type quality paints. If the car does not need surface prep. Any work the body needs is an extra cost in the estimate.
For a little more money they will sand and buff in between the applications of the finishing clear coat. I had this done and the paint looks as good as they day it came out of the shop 3 years later.

Sanding the Mustang body first with a 1100 grit sandpaper with warm soapy water will remove the oxidization and imbedded dirt and road grime. Wash it and then sand and fill any smalll imperfections
with body filler if there are any dings etc. , put several coats of primer and sand over and over each layer during- until these imperfections are not noticeable any more. There is a thicker density type of primer available that can help with this, filling imperfections can be made a little simpler this way.
Once done with fine sanding chips and deep scratches- Go over the whole body with a very fine sand paper until the whole thing is perfectly smooth with no imperfections anywhere.
This can save you hundreds of dollars in costs, maybe thousands depending on the quality of the job you want done.. Plus you can be sure of the results because you have done the prep work. Provided the painting itself is done by a skilled enough body and paint man it can come out very well with no orange peel, glossy.
Don't know any body and paint shop that will do it on the cheap and... right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
There are some things to consider before you look for a complete
paint job without paying too much...

Are you planning on keeping or selling the Mustang ?

Please understand that a low budget paint job won't
last long.

A complete paint job that lasts & looks good for long period
requires preparation before applying the paints.

I had a complete paint job without paying too much &
a year later the paint is peeling & fading.

Anybody can paint a car, but doing it right takes time,
preparation & knowing what chemicals or paints that
will work together. But it will cost. Good Luck !

Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,173,709 times
Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Default I have seen a youtube video,Prim8,

It is, a good way to do painting on the cheap. I have watched some videos on that method. It works.
One video there has a guy brush on the rustoleum WITH A HOUSE PAINTERS BRUSH, let the paint dry and then buffed it with an electric buffing wheel.
The buffing of the paint entirely removed the brush strokes out of the finish - Crazy but it works.
Don't know if I would do it on the Tough 1992 Mustang.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 AM

160 posts, read 465,590 times
How would a spray can of Rustoleum do? I know other things I've painted and have left outside still look nice years later with Rustoleum.

Also my old primer is showing where the paint has withered away. Can I skip the sanding process and just spray paint the vehicle since there is primer still there?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 AM

Default I wouldn't,

Are you serious? Why bother? Actually , it does work, but the tint of paint might not match?
One would need to paint the entire car.
If the car is near worthless ? Go ahead. Go for it !
Watch the youtubevideo for instructions , good luck !
One guy within this same group of youtubers demonstrated his own method of painting of his entire pickup truck with a paint roller. Yep. A roller. No it would not win any awards at a car show.
One of the type of paint Rollers used for painting indoor walls and ceilings.
This roller method of pickup painting may be less hazardous to the health than spray cans.
Don't forget to buff the paintjob (after it dries) later.
Post some pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goominim View Post
How would a spray can of Rustoleum do? I know other things I've painted and have left outside still look nice years later with Rustoleum.

Also my old primer is showing where the paint has withered away. Can I skip the sanding process and just spray paint the vehicle since there is primer still there?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,173,709 times
I think what all of these methods on the cheap teach us is that while you can get away with cheap paint, the preparation beforehand as well as the buffing after are what make it work out.
If you don't sand before, the paint might not stick.
If you don't lightly sand and buff after it will at the very least have bubbles and likely marks from rollers or brushes if you decide to go that route.

There's no getting around needing some labor for a good paint job.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:43 PM

160 posts, read 465,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Are you serious? Why bother? Actually , it does work, but the tint of paint might not match?
One would need to paint the entire car.
If the car is near worthless ? Go ahead. Go for it !

Okay, thanks Huckster...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio