Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 8,742 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I will be moving to San Antonio this coming February because I'm getting stationed at Fort Sam. I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in a nice, eclectic area.
I've been looking through the threads the last few days and I've found some great info but not quite what I'm looking for.
I don't want to live super far away from the base but I also don't want to be surrounded by that military feel all the time. I like to feel like I'm away from work when I leave work. I was looking at the Southtown area of San Antonio but I have no idea how far it really is from base and if traffic will make my commute even worse. I like that city feel. I am originally from New York City so it's what I'm comfortable with but I know that I have to be realistic because of budget and commute.
Ideally I don't want to pay more than $800 a month without utilities included or $900 a month with utilities included.
Alamo Heights seems to be the popular neighborhood around here. It also looks expensive. I like that it seems to be halfway between the base and downtown.
I will be living alone for the majority of the time as my wife will be off finishing med school outside of Texas. If the price is right and the area is right I'd be willing to take a studio.
Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 01:43 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuciussai View Post
Hey all. I will be moving to San Antonio this coming February because I'm getting stationed at Fort Sam. I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in a nice, eclectic area.
I've been looking through the threads the last few days and I've found some great info but not quite what I'm looking for.
I don't want to live super far away from the base but I also don't want to be surrounded by that military feel all the time. I like to feel like I'm away from work when I leave work. I was looking at the Southtown area of San Antonio but I have no idea how far it really is from base and if traffic will make my commute even worse. I like that city feel. I am originally from New York City so it's what I'm comfortable with but I know that I have to be realistic because of budget and commute.
Ideally I don't want to pay more than $800 a month without utilities included or $900 a month with utilities included.
Alamo Heights seems to be the popular neighborhood around here. It also looks expensive. I like that it seems to be halfway between the base and downtown.
I will be living alone for the majority of the time as my wife will be off finishing med school outside of Texas. If the price is right and the area is right I'd be willing to take a studio.
Any recommendations?

Your budget will make it tough to find anything in Alamo Heights or Southtown. With that said try along Broadway in between Hildebrand and Josephine street. Some areas are pretty shady the further East of Broadway you get...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Loads of Ft Sam staff live in Southtown, though I wouldn't say it feels very military at all. Lots of medical staff. A number of people I know ride bikes to work. The nearest entrance (on foot) is on Grayson St in Govt Hill and is just a couple of miles from Southtown (easy 10-15 minute bike ride). SAMMC entrance is a bit further north, but most of the people I know who ride bikes work at SAMMC.

$800 might be cutting it a little close for a place in Southtown, but doable.

Alamo Heights is nice but is suburban, though with a lot of amenities nearby. Southtown is not quite urban but as close as you can get...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 PM

I can move my budget up to $1000. I am just trying to keep it as low as possible so I can help my wife out while she finishes med school.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 PM

$1000 is doable in Southtown and pretty much anywhere along the Broadway corridor. Below that may be difficult but doable, with some effort (i.e. the individual places vs the major complexes). There's a building in Lavaca that's undergoing renovations right now. Not sure of their planned rent but I'd be shocked if it was $1000 or more ($800 would be more appropriate). It's on Eager/Sadie Sts.

The Pearl area is a great option, $1000 is probably on the low end but you should be able to find something.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:13 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
$1000 is doable in Southtown and pretty much anywhere along the Broadway corridor. Below that may be difficult but doable, with some effort (i.e. the individual places vs the major complexes). There's a building in Lavaca that's undergoing renovations right now. Not sure of their planned rent but I'd be shocked if it was $1000 or more ($800 would be more appropriate). It's on Eager/Sadie Sts.

The Pearl area is a great option, $1000 is probably on the low end but you should be able to find something.

The cheapest in the pearl area for rent I have found is $1040 for 540sq and no utilities included...

Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM

This link has a list of places around Southtown, downtown, and lower Broadway.
Places to rent in Downtown & Southtown – Showcasing San Antonio central city living & its historic neighborhoods.

(it's a 2012 blog post but he's updated it)

Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
You might also want to check out the apartments at oakwell farms, they are an easy commute to fort Sam and there are several complexes to choose from. Legacy heights is also very close to fort Sam and easy to walk to several restaurants, target and walmart.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Thanks!

@Chaka, that link was very helpful!

Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 PM

282 posts, read 472,164 times
In my opinion, you should be looking around the Broadway area and get the best of both worlds. Alamo Heights and all its perks be just up the road, the Pearl just to the south, and Southtown just a little further down the river. There are lots of apartments in the Broadway area and I'm sure you can find one within your price range with some effort. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio