U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 AM

500 posts, read 796,087 times

Advertisements

Texas is indeed conservative as a whole in it's politics. Remember, we're in the middle of "flyover" America. You'll see more liberal thinking in the larger cities(San Antonio included). Whether those politics "suck" is a matter of personal choice.

I don't believe politics alone define Texas as a place to live. At least not for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,261,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felabella12 View Post
Hey All-

I'm in my mid twenties and I've lived in NYC all my life. I'm so tired of living here and have been for the past several years already. It's expensive, overcrowded (8,000,000+ people), polluted, traffic is always horrible even in Queens believe it or not, I hate taking the dirty subways and buses and smelling people's nasty breath. Public transportation is almost always delayed and it takes a long time to get anywhere. It takes me an hour to get to work in Midtown. I want to pull my hair out everytime I have to step out for lunch because it's always madness outside. The sidewalks are overcrowed with tourists and people and I'm constantly getting pushed and shoved. It's true that people are rude and nasty here, probably not all, but defintely most. The only thing I would miss about NY is the diversity, culture and the fact that there's a lot to do, and my family of course.

I'm defintely not planning to stay here much longer. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to where I should go? A place that's affordable? Has some diversity? My boyfriend wants to move out of NYC also for the same reasons I do. We both want a better lifestyle where we can get more for our money and not slaving just to make ends meet. I love space and nature and it's hard to get that in NYC. I don't want to live in a small cramped apartment with no yard for $1500+ a month. I've been looking into other states that have a lower cost of living such as Texas. I'm really looking into San Antonio, Arlington, El Paso or any of the major cities. I don't have any family In TX. I heard that there are plenty of jobs over there. Is that true? I've been looking for jobs down there and I'm fully aware that I would get a pay cut but if that what it takes to live the life I want then it's worth it. I also don't mind driving and I prefer that any day over taking public transportation.

Anyone move to Texas from NYC? Any suggestions / ideas would be greatly appreciated!
All I can tell you from my experience is if you want to move to TX don't make it El Paso.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM

266 posts, read 492,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getgoing2010 View Post
I'm from Texas. Fair warning though...... be ready for Texas politics, it sucks. People sometimes don't take this into consideration and they really should. I moved back here from Northern Virginia and didn't realize how opposite from my way of thinking were the politics here.

This is only my opinion and I'm sure there are many here who love the Texas politics. Remember this is the state that has Ted Cruz as one of its' senators.
....and I'll repeat myself....politics sucks down here and as I said before this in only my opinion. For me it wouldn't be the only reason, but things have gotten so far extreme right, it would be a huge consideration for me.

So, if this is your kind of politics, then you'll love it down here.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM

34 posts, read 39,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felabella12 View Post
Hey All-

I'm in my mid twenties and I've lived in NYC all my life. I'm so tired of living here and have been for the past several years already. It's expensive, overcrowded (8,000,000+ people), polluted, traffic is always horrible even in Queens believe it or not, I hate taking the dirty subways and buses and smelling people's nasty breath. Public transportation is almost always delayed and it takes a long time to get anywhere. It takes me an hour to get to work in Midtown. I want to pull my hair out everytime I have to step out for lunch because it's always madness outside. The sidewalks are overcrowed with tourists and people and I'm constantly getting pushed and shoved. It's true that people are rude and nasty here, probably not all, but defintely most. The only thing I would miss about NY is the diversity, culture and the fact that there's a lot to do, and my family of course.

I'm defintely not planning to stay here much longer. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to where I should go? A place that's affordable? Has some diversity? My boyfriend wants to move out of NYC also for the same reasons I do. We both want a better lifestyle where we can get more for our money and not slaving just to make ends meet. I love space and nature and it's hard to get that in NYC. I don't want to live in a small cramped apartment with no yard for $1500+ a month. I've been looking into other states that have a lower cost of living such as Texas. I'm really looking into San Antonio, Arlington, El Paso or any of the major cities. I don't have any family In TX. I heard that there are plenty of jobs over there. Is that true? I've been looking for jobs down there and I'm fully aware that I would get a pay cut but if that what it takes to live the life I want then it's worth it. I also don't mind driving and I prefer that any day over taking public transportation.

Anyone move to Texas from NYC? Any suggestions / ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I was born and raised in Queens and moved to Houston in June for a new job. NYC is unlike anywhere else I have ever been, so you should definitely visit any area you would consider moving too. I visited the Houston area a few times, and like that it wasn't a small town, and you can get a nice house for a decent price. I always hated taking public transportation but ended up still doing it in Houston because I work downtown. Besides the Riverwalk and Alamo there wasn't a lot that I saw in San Antonio that I would recommend living there. Haven't been to the other cities you mentioned, but Austin should be on your list.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:32 PM

I agree with keepit08, you need to look at Austin.

As for El Paso, it's very isolated on the very western tip of the State. In fact, I think it's closer to California than it is to the southern tip of Texas.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 PM

40 posts, read 78,006 times
Forget Austin! If you are tired of the traffic in New York, you will hate the traffic in Austin! It has become too phony as well with everyone thinking that they are some elitist techno snobs. They are busy with the "keep up with the Jones" mentality. You are much better off considering the sincere city of San Antonio! We are much more down-to-earth and you can certainly afford a better quality of life in San Antonio rather than Austin. San Antonio has made tremendous strides in the urban area of the Pearl Brewery as well as the Southtown . It is becoming the envy of Houstonians and Austonians alike.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:13 AM

10,864 posts, read 11,896,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getgoing2010 View Post
....and I'll repeat myself....politics sucks down here and as I said before this in only my opinion. For me it wouldn't be the only reason, but things have gotten so far extreme right, it would be a huge consideration for me.

So, if this is your kind of politics, then you'll love it down here.
Overreact much? Does the fact that people have different political views as you really have that big of an impact on your day to day life here in SA?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 AM

500 posts, read 796,087 times
If you're looking for diversity and a more gradual change of environment, I would suggest Houston. It has more of an international culture than of any other Texas city.

I'm originally from Arlington, and can tell you that it's pretty vanilla with little diversity. El Paso would probably be a tremendous culture shock given it's remoteness and singular culture.

As long as you have decent credentials, you would have to be half dead not to find a good job anywhere in Texas. Don't let anyone tell you differently. If you have little in the way of education, skills, or experience, you can still find work, but it may be a struggle. I suspect you fall into the former category.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 AM

To OP....if you are considering Texas, I understand Oregon and Washington State have some pretty nice living up there. Just a thought.

Good luck on your search.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 AM

135 posts, read 183,427 times
I was born and raised here in San Antonio and have visited NYC, and was just there recently. Both are completely different. San Antonio as a city does draw a great deal of tourism, but is nowhere near NYC. Living here you tend to forget about the tourism unless you spend a lot of time Downtown or at the Missions and theme parks. Even then its not too bad and you will learn to avoid those places when large events and crowding occur if that's what you choose to do. Be prepared to drive. If you don't own one already, you will need to purchase a vehicle or two for you and your significant other to commute to and from work respectively. Public transportation here is not very efficient. I recently took the bus to jury duty downtown and won't be doing that again anytime soon. It took over an hour both ways and that was on an express bus. I have never been to, nor do I have any desire to visit El Paso. If you are wanting to keep with the big city feel, Houston and Dallas are your thing. Traffic in Houston is pretty bad as mentioned previously, can't speak for Dallas. Austin is a lot of fun, but I can't stand the traffic. The interstate cuts right through the middle of town and Austin does not have an efficient loop system like San Antonio, so you end up bottlenecked with everyone passing through on pretty much every day of the week. I would highly recommend you visit before you decide to move. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio