Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 13,674 times

Advertisements

I assure you that my post is real. Believe me I would not make this up. It took a lot of guts for me to post this on a public forum. I surely hope people on here won't be disparaging or say snarky things. Yes, I'm 33 years old and I have never driven car. I'm not looking to get into why or this or that. I just need advice. Are there any schools which help adults who have never driven? What's my first step? Can you give me any advice or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
There are places that do offer adult driving courses. I've never taken them before so I wouldn't be able to speak to how good or effective they are, but if you are totally inexperienced it might be worth a look into.

Don't be embarrassed dude. I was well into my 20's when I got my license....of course I had been driving since I was 13. (puro San Antonio)

Good Luck!

Texas Driving School [San Antonio]

Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
ABSOLUTELY!!! Any drivers ed program will assist you, and you will NOT be the only adult there. We personally know where people have moved here from foreign countries and need to take drivers ed,and actually had a friend who grew up in NYC and NEVER had the need for a car or to learn to drive (like who could afford even a parking place there) and moved here and learned.

It will make a HUGE change in your life to be able to drive since SA is so spread out! This is NOT a public transportation friendly city as far as I am concerned....I know some manage, but I think we are just TOO spread out for anything other than "manage" with public transportation....Best of luck!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:59 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Do not feel as though you are the only one. You are just fine. Take the time to go to any of the driving schools and you will be zipping in and out of traffic in no time .

Darn now we have another one to avoid!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 AM

584 posts, read 1,193,017 times
Do a google search for San Antonio Adult Drivers Education. You will find websites for the various schools and their programs. Don't feel embarassed or anything. There are lots of people that will be there in the class with you. At least you are looking into going to class because I am sure at your age it is not a requirement at all.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy01 View Post
I assure you that my post is real. Believe me I would not make this up. It took a lot of guts for me to post this on a public forum. I surely hope people on here won't be disparaging or say snarky things. Yes, I'm 33 years old and I have never driven car. I'm not looking to get into why or this or that. I just need advice. Are there any schools which help adults who have never driven? What's my first step? Can you give me any advice or tips?

You have friends that have cars? ask them to teach you

Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
You have friends that have cars? ask them to teach you
I HIGHLY recommend a driving school...I know it will cost more, but I also know the older we get the more difficult it is for us to "adapt to change" and therefor, recommend a driving school where you have the opportinuity to practice and feel comfortable.

Traffic in SA is challenging...it is MUCH cheaper to take a course where you get the full blown experience than to take shortcuts in trying to learn to drive!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:31 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
No need to be embarrassed at all. Hope some of the info given in this thread is helpful! A close friend of mine didn't drive until her late 20s and even now she does not like to drive. She owns a car and drives the minimum for work but if someone else is around to drive, she jumps at the chance to give up the driver's seat.

My son is 20 and went through driver's ed but never took the test. He has some serious issues with it. Not quite phobic but heavy heavy anxiety, so yes, whatever the reasons, you are not alone.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 44,419 times
LOL don't feel bad... Same here. I'm 30 and haven't driven at all either and don't know how to. I was paralyzed from the waist down at 19 and so now I'll have to learn with hand controls so I've just been puting it off and taking the bus or getting rides but I think I'm going to take the plunge pretty soon. Getting tired of not being able to go where I want when I want.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,511 times
I have no idea about the driving schools, but I just wanted to say good for you! My mom is like 50 and has never, ever driven a car, so props to you for deciding to go for it. I learned at 20, so you have a few more years on me, but none the less I was older than all my friends were when they learned. Now I drive in crazy California traffic every day. It's easy, just practice whenever you can (it helps if you have access to a car, even if it's a friends or something) and choose a driving school you're comfortable with. Seriously, call around and get a feel for the instructors. My very first driving school (I lived in Canada at the time... yes, I move around alot! lol) was when I was 20 and the instructor was this creepy old dude with a really thick Jamaican accent that I couldn't understand at all. He didn't get that I had never sat in a drivers' seat let alone operated a moving vehicle before, and he was pretty rude and made me feel really stupid, and even made me cry a few times... that really messed with my confidence and I didn't drive or go back to a driving school for an entire year after that, so make sure it's someplace with good reviews and people you feel comfortable learning from. My second driving school was great however. I took private behind the wheel lessons instead of the in-class version, because I needed the one-on-one practice time in the car. I knew the road rules from observation and the drivers' handbook, but if you don't feel confident about them then you should take the class too. The private instructor was really patient and understanding, and never belittled me or expected me to just "know" things like the first guy. Personally, I think instructors can really make or break an experience and change people's entire perceptions on driving. I still get anxious about driving in areas I'm not familiar with, or if there's alot of freeway driving involved I'll usually try to get someone else to drive me.. but I can do it if I have to and that's what counts Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: