Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 13,902 times

Advertisements

Hi there this is the first time posting but have been researching the threads on San Antonio for awhile. I wondered if you could help us a little. We are in the Des Moines, Iowa area now and are looking into a transfer for my husband next Spring 2014. He would be working in the Wiseman Blvd area and we are having a hard time narrowing down where to find a rental. Our first thought is Helotes because we love the outdoors and their great schools and seems to be relatively close to the Wiseman area. We also have heard Alamo Ranch is nice, but doesn't seem to have the outdoor space we would like. I have also been looking at Leon Valley, but haven't been able to find a lot. How are the schools and overall general area? We have 2 sons one that will be 5 and a 3 yr old so schools will be important. We have been to the SA area many times and love the area but are necessarily looking at SA itself because of the school district. We want to rent for awhile before committing to anything..budget is about $1300 or less. Any ideas/advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 07:05 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,643,503 times
All those areas are within NISD. All of the schools are great in all three areas. The Alamo Ranch area is newer as are the schools. The Helotes area is a bit further out and a bit newer as well, depending on where exactly you are. Leon Valley is a suburb of San Antonio and has its own government. Don't speed. You'll get a ticket. The homes are older in that area. You should be able to find a home for that $1300 budget in AR and LV. Helotes might be a stretch, but I have not looked for those rentals so I could be wrong.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Thank you ashbeeigh for your help. And advice on speeding in LV Based on greatschools.org the elementary is slightly better in Helotes but does anyone have any personal experience at any of these? How are the neighborhoods in these areas--safety/crime rate?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM

4,430 posts, read 5,324,004 times
^^^ Crime Scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst)

Helotes 1
Alamo Ranch 1-2
Leon Valley 2-3

The likelihood of you being a victim of a violent crime committed by a stranger is realllllllly low. The likelihood of you missing something out of your garage if you leave it open and unattended are moderate...

Old 10-22-2013, 12:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,368,187 times
If you're working in the Wiseman Blvd area, I'd be looking in Westover Hills (or possibly Alamo Ranch). Specifically, the area immediately east of 151, near Wiseman (which turns into Hunt Lane), Westover Hills Blvd, Military Drive, and Rogers Road. Neighborhoods are:

The Retreat at Legacy Trails
The Fairways at Legacy Trails
Westover Woods
The Enclave at Westover Hills
The Enclave at Westover Woods
Westover Forest
Stonegate Hill
Westover Valley
Mirabella
Aviara
The Estates of Westover Hills

Schools are: Raba Elementary and Evers Elementary; both have excellent feedback from parents. From personal experience, Raba is great. Both my girls go there, and one is special needs and she does so well! We love the teachers. Middle School is kind of an interesting thing-- (Jordan Middle) it is TEA Recognized, which is hard for most middle schools to get. The school itself is not in Westover Hills but close by; it is pretty diverse, and it just gets great marks from parents. Warren High is a BEAUTIFUL school--and it's right there in Westover Hills, kind of on the border of it. Parents LOVE Warren. It's sort of a gem over here, and people who live here know it. We are happy to support it with our tax dollars, LOL. Band is huge there..."The Purple Pride of the Northside". They also have a Construction Careers Academy within Warren.

Anyway, it's really a nice little tucked-away community and we personally love it. I would not want to deal with traffic elsewhere coming over here. That's just me. I'd drive around in the area, if you can get down here. Some good FRBO deals. You're looking at rental prices from 1300-3000. I live in Westover Forest and there's a 5 br rental in here for $1660. So definitely shop around! Good luck.

edited to add:

I found a couple of rentals on SABOR that are around $1300-$1400:

Westover Valley (zoned to Raba Elementary/Jordan MS/Warren HS)
9903 Gazelle Forest 78251 $1395 MLS#1026233 http://realestate.sabor.com/rentals/...03409921/popup
5218 Roan Brook 78251 $1295 MLS#1025989 http://realestate.sabor.com/rentals/...03343938/popup

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 10-22-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 PM

Mom2Feebs, thank you thank you! That is really helpful. It's hard to say how long a commute time ACTUALLY is through MapQuest, etc. You really helped out a lot. I'm interested to know what the 'green area' is like in that area. Are there many parks and trails close by? It seemed Alamo Ranch is a fairly new area, which in my neighborhood now typically means not a lot of green space.

Thanks for all the help, any other thoughts are appreciated!

Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,368,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSwensen View Post
Mom2Feebs, thank you thank you! That is really helpful. It's hard to say how long a commute time ACTUALLY is through MapQuest, etc. You really helped out a lot. I'm interested to know what the 'green area' is like in that area. Are there many parks and trails close by? It seemed Alamo Ranch is a fairly new area, which in my neighborhood now typically means not a lot of green space.

Thanks for all the help, any other thoughts are appreciated!
Well, there's all sorts of sidewalks in our area, but when we want to "get away" to a park and true greenspace, we hop in the car and go about two miles down the road to the Leon Creek Greenway. It is just amazing! All sorts of trails for hiking and biking, that run from pretty much 410 to 1604 in a variety of configurations. We start at Cathedral Rock Park, which is about a mile from us as the crow flies, and just start hiking. It is so very cool, one of my favorite parts of SA for sure. OP Schnabel Park runs through the trails as well. There's also Government Canyon Park for hiking, that's over on the other side of 1604 but not too terribly far, especially from Alamo Ranch.

Here's more info and pics of the Leon Creek Greenway:

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Parks & Recreation Department

I like the pics on this blog: Cathedral Rock Park | ADRIAN'S PHOTOGRAPHY

and this one:

While On A Walk: Leon Creek Greenway, O. P. Schnabel Park Trailhead, North

You can do a Google search for images on Leon Creek Greenway and just see tons of pics, etc...it's really neat.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:51 PM

26 posts, read 42,045 times
@rynetwo...are you saying that you can't leave your garage open in the nice areas of San Antonio? I live in the suburbs of Detroit and will be moving to SA in a couple of months..... In the summer time here, my garage is open from sunrise to sundown when I'm at home(weekends) without any problems.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:05 PM

4,430 posts, read 5,324,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmich View Post
@rynetwo...are you saying that you can't leave your garage open in the nice areas of San Antonio? I live in the suburbs of Detroit and will be moving to SA in a couple of months..... In the summer time here, my garage is open from sunrise to sundown when I'm at home(weekends) without any problems.

It really depends on the area of town you live in. San Antonio is a very safe city in terms of crime but in areas the city has high property crime. (theft of a lawn mower or what not…) If you are home and have your blinds open in Westover Hills I'd say no you don't have to worry about it. I was in East Terrill Hills a few weeks back, a quite working class area of town, and had my blue jeans stolen. They had fallen out of my car as I was unloading it. The only reason I even noticed they were missing because little SOBs left the box they were in. (on-line purchase)

Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 PM

@Mom2Feebs that is exactly what I was looking for. It looks like we will be looking into that area for sure. Thanks again for all the advice.

@rynetwo I can see that when we have vacationed here. Some areas I wouldn't like to live in but that is true for every city. Glad to know it's generally safe though. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio