Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:33 PM

263 posts, read 479,993 times

Advertisements

Anyone traveling east on I-10 has seen this creek crossing.Does anyone have any info.other than the story , I've heard.I was told that when the settlers were moving East towards SAN ANTONIO,they would camp along river banks and creeks.One group camped along what is now called Woman Hollering Creek,probably a branch off the CIBOLO creek.Awoman was washing clothes and was ambushed by a Commanche Raiding Party.She was screaming and hollering while she was being scalped,then killed and thrown into the creek.It's been said that on some nights you can hear her hollering for help.Whats your take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Technically there is no definitive explanation as to where the name came from, one story is that a pioneer family living near its banks is attacked by Indians. Seeing her husband killed brutally, a mother drowns her children in the creek to "save" them from a still more painful fate. When the attackers find the only surviving member of the family, she frightens them off with her maddened screaming. From then on, she wanders the creek banks, sobbing and crying for her lost children, a 'woman hollering, ' and they say her spirit still returns to search for them. (source).

Another claims "a woman who has recently given birth drowns her newborn in the river because the father of the child either does not want it, or leaves with a different woman. The woman then screams in anguish from drowning her child. After her death, her spirit then haunts the location of the drowning and wails in misery. The legend has many different variations and there have even been occasional sightings of the restless woman's spirit. The legend also states that if you get too close to the water, the hollering woman will drag you in, hoping you are her child."

However, early 1900 maps of San Antonio lists this creek with a different/objectionable name that would be considered politically incorrect today; so the name was changed within the past century which negates some of the claims of how it got its current name as there is no news reports that would support either of the above stories.

More can be found at: Woman Hollering Creek.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:09 AM

296 posts, read 1,249,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The legend also states that if you get too close to the water, the hollering woman will drag you in, hoping you are her child."
Possibly the creepiest line I've ever read on city data! I think Ill stay away from said creek just to be on the safe side

Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Technically there is no definitive explanation as to where the name came from, one story is that a pioneer family living near its banks is attacked by Indians. Seeing her husband killed brutally, a mother drowns her children in the creek to "save" them from a still more painful fate. When the attackers find the only surviving member of the family, she frightens them off with her maddened screaming. From then on, she wanders the creek banks, sobbing and crying for her lost children, a 'woman hollering, ' and they say her spirit still returns to search for them. (source).

Another claims "a woman who has recently given birth drowns her newborn in the river because the father of the child either does not want it, or leaves with a different woman. The woman then screams in anguish from drowning her child. After her death, her spirit then haunts the location of the drowning and wails in misery. The legend has many different variations and there have even been occasional sightings of the restless woman's spirit. The legend also states that if you get too close to the water, the hollering woman will drag you in, hoping you are her child."

However, early 1900 maps of San Antonio lists this creek with a different/objectionable name that would be considered politically incorrect today; so the name was changed within the past century which negates some of the claims of how it got its current name as there is no news reports that would support either of the above stories.

More can be found at: Woman Hollering Creek.
Thanks for the info.I like knowing different versions of this creek.So ,this can tie into the Legend of the
"LLORONA" who is said to seek out the souls of her children that she drowned for the Love of a man who eventualy left her for another.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
Maybe the Texas General Land Office has some of these old Bexar county maps.
Years ago,back in the 1970s we used to go to Windsor park mall. They had a Bexar County map showing the roads and communities.Wish i had asked my mom to buy it,I was about 14 or 15 then. On the map,I swear the creek was called Indian Woman Hollow Creek.
I also found out to from the map that there is a small housing area on IH10 East, that was called believe it or not Dominion. It is still there you get to it by driving the acess road toward Kirby,it's past another little community which has a store and bar.Can't think of the name right now.At the intersection of FM 1518 and Abbot Road,there was once a little community known as Cousins Corners. The store building is still there,don't know if it is in use anymore. As you drive Abbot past the store, you can see where there are electrical poles and the remains of streets.
They were real noticiable years ago,but are rather overgrown now. Might have to contact the paper to see if I can find anything on the place. Need to go down to the main public library to their genealogy -Texana room to see what books they have on Bexar County History about some of these places which no longer exist.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
Possibly the creepiest line I've ever read on city data! I think Ill stay away from said creek just to be on the safe side
Given the state of most local bodies of water after years of below-normal rainfall, I have a hunch it would be difficult to drown in this creek!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
I seem to remember watching some program about Bigfoot that mentioned Woman Hollering Creek. Some kind of connection was made about Bigfoots making a sound that sounded like a woman hollering. Hence the name.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM

The sounds that my daughters heard at GOLIAD STATE PRK.in '05 were not made by a BIG FOOT.The sounds they heard were that of a women weeping,sobbing and at times,wailing cry's,from different directions.I had six tiki torches lit,after all this happened,only 3 were still burning.ALL bottles were filled and not a breeze to speak of.To this day when we talk about it,they get very emotional and scared.They are all in their early twenty's now.
Thanks for the responce.Happy Haunting.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
Thanks for the info.I like knowing different versions of this creek.So ,this can tie into the Legend of the
"LLORONA" who is said to seek out the souls of her children that she drowned for the Love of a man who eventualy left her for another.
"La llorona".
Brings back memories of my childhood days in Laredo.

My abuelita's home near the Rio Grande & the spooky
tales of " la llorona".

Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
"La llorona".
Brings back memories of my childhood days in Laredo.

My abuelita's home near the Rio Grande & the spooky
tales of " la llorona".
How goes it Rancho?,My first recollection of this story was when I was about 5 yrs. old.I overheard my mother telling another adult who was visiting,that when her and my dad were dating back in the 40's,that one the home to her house,my dad was driving over an old bridge crossing the Guadalupe River.As they got to the middle of the wooden bridge,they caught a glimpse of what looked like a flowing gown of sorts ,with a light glow ahead of it.Along with that and also some fog,they heard the sound of a women weeping as the appirition flowed back and fourth along the river banks making its way under the bridge and flowed away down stream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio