U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,767 times

Advertisements

I just moved to San Antonio from North Carolina and I'm looking for some good schools to send my two kids. One is in high school the other in Middle school. I would appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 04:19 PM

2,392 posts, read 8,610,921 times
Are you looking for private or public? A few private schools high school- Antonion, TMI(6th-12th), Keystone, Central catholic, Incarnate Word (girls) and they are k-12 just like Keystone but Keystone is coed. San Antonio Acd. is k-8 for boys. My 1st grader goes to St. George's and its K-8. I think Cornerstone is k-12, San Anotnio Christian is k-12, St Tomas is k-8 maybe, Concordia, I am sure there are plenty of ones that I have missed but those are the ones I can think of off the bat.( Oh yeah St. Mattews Cath.)

Last edited by neddy; 10-17-2006 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: added school

Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,643,377 times
What district do you live in?

Old 10-20-2006, 04:07 PM

5 posts, read 14,808 times
This is a really good website to use when looking for schools--elementary, middle school and high schools. www.greatschools.net

Old 10-23-2006, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 17,297 times
My daughter goes to Wetmore Elem. in NEISD. It is absolutely fantastic!! I've also gotten to know several teachers since we moved here last year. As far as teachers are concerned, this school district is the place to be. Happy teachers = Happy students! And happy parents too!!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 12,888 times
If you're white... I suggest it's a school that is not on the southside like harlandale. Trust me, you would not want your kids over here. I'm 16, a sophmore there, and there are quite a lot of racist kids over here. Plus just about 40 percent of the school is made up of gangsters. In the 3 months I've been here this year we've had a total of 15 fights this year.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHSIDE 210 View Post
If you're white... I suggest it's a school that is not on the southside like harlandale. Trust me, you would not want your kids over here. I'm 16, a sophmore there, and there are quite a lot of racist kids over here. Plus just about 40 percent of the school is made up of gangsters. In the 3 months I've been here this year we've had a total of 15 fights this year.
Well you can't take one school that's located on the southside and generalize with with the dozens of others located south of 90 and 10.

I am white, went to school at Highlands High on the southeast side and encountered no racism from any one. There were whites, blacks, hispancis, asians and even indians. I probably saw four fights my entire 4 years there.

I agree, Harlendale is a different breed of animal though.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 12,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Well you can't take one school that's located on the southside and generalize with with the dozens of others located south of 90 and 10.

I am white, went to school at Highlands High on the southeast side and encountered no racism from any one. There were whites, blacks, hispancis, asians and even indians. I probably saw four fights my entire 4 years there.

I agree, Harlendale is a different breed of animal though.
Here at Harlandale mostly everyone is hispanic, through the whole time I've been here I've only seen 6 people that are black (African features, dark skin etc.), around 10 asians (look more like hispanic), and no indian people... pretty hard to tell... This year has been bad though, last year there were 6 fights, towards the end of the year it went crazy. There were 3 fights in one day, one outside the cafeteria, one inside the cafeteria and one in the science building.

Last year they almost killed a guy, a bunch of brown raggers ganged up on a Crip (I didn't see the fight but everyone else did). They said that they all ganged up on him, and beat him down to the ground. They were stomping on his head, and knocked him unconcious and broke his jaw. The principal got fired shortly after that, and we got a really strict principal named Mr. Madrigal...

There are some pretty cruel people here, there are too many knock offs. I've seen them make fun of subs. because they are short or fat etc. I've only seen 1 cry before though.

How old are you?

Old 10-30-2006, 08:29 PM

I am 22.

Harlendale is a rough school but so is the area it's in.

Highlands, East Central, Southwest, Southside, West Campus are all good highschools south of 90 and 10.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:29 PM

13 posts, read 50,418 times
Default Great Schools

If you use greatschools.net as suggested by Lynn9803, you can rank all the schools in San Antonio by criteria like test scores and other criteria like state of Texas ratings (Recognized, Exemplary, etc). Other folks posted suggestions for private schools. For public schools, NEISD ranks at the top for middle and high schools, followed by the schools in Alamo Heights. There are also public magnet schools that are rated very highly, located in other parts of the city.

However, you should also look at the overcrowding situation in NEISD (e.g. at Reagan High School and Bush Middle School). There are a number of new schools scheduled to be opened (e.g. Johnson High School in 2008), but until they are, students are being bused to other schools that are not as good. Calling NEISD or visiting their web site will give you more information on the situation.

Also, if your kids are in gifted and talented programs, you can transfer them into similar programs in San Antonio (e.g. in NEISD), but they'll have to take specific placement tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or