Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,988,992 times

Advertisements

I am visiting my sister here over the past few days. I have been accosted by ppl asking for $$ at gas stations, restaurants, etc. Is it because of the holiday season, hobos seeking the warmer weather down here or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,087,789 times
It's the holiday season, IMO. They correctly assume people are a softer touch this month.

Give them advice, rather than money. Tell them San Antonio has a great facility for people in their situation with Haven For Hope.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,850,606 times
There are plenty of them that aren't homeless or pretending to be homeless. They'll give you stories about how they're stranded here and need bus fare, need a few dollars for gas, need money for a prescription, etc. Telling them to go to Haven For Hope will just make that kind of beggar mad or offend them.

I tell them all "I don't carry cash." Unless they have kids and are begging at a restaurant, in which case I will offer to buy food for the kids.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM

282 posts, read 341,248 times
Had a guy approach me a bit differently a few days ago. He was actually in his car, an older model but in good shape, asking for gas money. His story was something about just having bought the car for cash and it cost more than he thought it was going to cost. There was also something about him buying it for his sister or sister-in-law but I didn't catch all the details of that part. Anyhow, the surprising thing was that this was in the parking lot of Dury's Gun Shop. I didn't give him any money but I suggested he could probably have picked a better place to hassle people and ask for money.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,718,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
Had a guy approach me a bit differently a few days ago. He was actually in his car, an older model but in good shape, asking for gas money. His story was something about just having bought the car for cash and it cost more than he thought it was going to cost. There was also something about him buying it for his sister or sister-in-law but I didn't catch all the details of that part. Anyhow, the surprising thing was that this was in the parking lot of Dury's Gun Shop. I didn't give him any money but I suggested he could probably have picked a better place to hassle people and ask for money.
I would have given him money simply for the originality.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,974,607 times
Call the SAPD non-emergency number (210) 207-7273 and report them. SA has an ordinance against aggressive solicitation...

Quote:
Sec. 21-29. - Aggressive solicitation. (a) In this section, the following definitions apply:
Aggressive manner means:
(1) Making any physical contact with or touching another person in the course of the solicitation without the person's consent;
(2) Following the person being solicited, if that conduct is:
a. Likely to cause a reasonable person to fear imminent bodily harm or the commission of a criminal act upon property in the person's possession; or
b. Reasonably likely to intimidate the person being solicited into responding affirmatively to the solicitation;
(3) Continuing to solicit a person after the person has made a negative response;
(4) Blocking the safe or free passage of the person being solicited or requiring the person, or the driver of a vehicle, to take evasive action to avoid physical contact with the person making the solicitation;
(5) Using obscene or abusive language or gestures toward the person being solicited; or
(6) Approaching the person being solicited in a manner that:
a. Is likely to cause a reasonable person to fear imminent bodily harm or the commission of a criminal act upon property in the person's possession; or
b. Is reasonably likely to intimidate the person being solicited into responding affirmatively to the solicitation.

Automated teller machine means a device, linked to a bank's account records, which is able to carry out banking transactions.

Automated teller facility means the area comprised of one or more automatic teller machines, and any adjacent space that is made available to banking customers.

Bank includes a bank, savings bank, savings and loan association, credit union, trust company, or similar financial institution.

Charitable contribution meter means a re-dedicated parking meter sanctioned by the city to allow charitable donations to be made by the public to support services for the homeless or some other charitable purpose.

Check cashing business means an entity in the business of cashing checks, drafts, or money orders for consideration.
Parking meter or pay station means a location on a street, parking lot or parking garage where persons pay for parking by either cash or credit to a person or at a machine or other device designed to accept payment.

Public area means an area to which the public has access and includes, but is not limited to, a sidewalk, street, highway, park, parking lot, alleyway, pedestrian way, or the common area of a school, hospital, apartment house, office building, transport facility, or shop.

Solicit means to request, by the spoken, written, or printed word, or by other means of communication an immediate donation or transfer of money or another thing of value from another person, regardless of the solicitor's purpose or intended use of the money or other thing of value, and regardless of whether consideration is offered.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person solicits:
(1) In an aggressive manner in a public area; or
(2) Within fifty (50) feet of the following areas where the public is considered vulnerable or where solicitation would interfere with the flow of traffic:
a. An automated teller machine;
b. An automated teller facility;
c. The entrance or exit of a bank;
d. The entrance or exit of a check cashing business;
e. A charitable contribution meter;
f. A parking meter or parking pay station on a street;
g. A public parking garage or parking lot pay station;
h. The entrance or exit of a restaurant or the service area of an outdoor eating establishment;
i. In a bus, at a bus station or stop, or at a facility operated by a transportation authority for passengers; or
j. A marked crosswalk.
(c) A culpable mental state is not required, and need not be proved, for an offense under this section.
(d) Any person who engages in any activity specified in subsection (b), maybe subject to prosecution for a Class C misdemeanor and a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500.00).
(Ord. No. 100380, §§ 1, 2, 2-3-05; Ord. No. 2011-11-17-0958, § 1, 11-17-11)
Most don't want to go to the shelters such as the Haven For Hope as either 1) they're not really homeless or 2) they aren't allowed to drink or use drugs there.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,366,888 times
I am all about providing food, but sadly, San Antonio is just like every other metro area I have lived at. You see "regulars" begging in the same location everyday. Stop and grab a meal at a fast food joint for them, and watch how fast they throw it on the ground. They don't want food, they want cash. I don't underwrite bad habits or bad decisions.

The local paper in Temple, TX did an investigative piece on a married team of panhandlers working local (Temple) overpasses over I-35. They found the couple owned a home appraised at over $230K, which is a nice home in central Texas, and were making "quit their job", undocumented income.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM

282 posts, read 341,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I am all about providing food, but sadly, San Antonio is just like every other metro area I have lived at. You see "regulars" begging in the same location everyday. Stop and grab a meal at a fast food joint for them, and watch how fast they throw it on the ground. They don't want food, they want cash. I don't underwrite bad habits or bad decisions.
Us too....until we got a group together at work and collected blankets, warm clothing, and made up box lunches/dinners for the street folks during the winter. They more or less happily took the blankets and clothing but then proceeded to throw the contents of the lunches/dinners actually at us or our cars. Kind of burst that bubble.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM

447 posts, read 1,043,606 times
What about those aggressive beggars outside WalMart ringing that bell?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,366,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
What about those aggressive beggars outside WalMart ringing that bell?
Slight difference between aggressive panhandlers and the Salvation Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio