U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 AM

86 posts, read 213,310 times
Default Personal Trainers?

Can anyone recommend a personal trainer? I belong to Spectrum ("free" with my NISD health insurance coverage) but have not been pleased with any of the trainers I had there. They were either young and I couldn't "relate" to them - hard to get motivated by a 20 year old guy who you know is probably thinking "ewww" about my 36 post-baby body and who is saying hi to every hot little young thing there working out. Or they were older and frankly didn't look like they were in THAT good of shape themselves. And why do they always look around the club like they are bored while they are waiting for you to finish your reps????

Anyway, part of my problem is also that I am a bit self-conscious working out in a large public setting. So I am looking at more "personal" training at the smaller more private places. I need the true PERSONAL attention and am considering a boot camp style - I am the type who needs to SEE results relatively quickly to stay motivated. I eat pretty healthy already, so keeping up that end of the bargain would not be hard - it's the working out part I can't commit to on my own or at Spectrum.

I actually would love to just be whisked away by Extreme Makeover.

Can anyone speak to the quality of any of these? Most offer a free or money back guarantee on the first session so I could always try....but figured I'd ask to see if anyone can rule any out or speakly directly to great success at one of them...

WellFit Personal Training Group - San Antonio (http://www.wellfit-sa.com/main.html - broken link)

San Antonio Personal Trainer, Personal Training San Antonio

sampt.com - San Antonio Motivational Personal Training by Nicholas Wood (this one is a bit far for me, but if it were for a short time, boot camp style, I could prob do it - plus it is the cheapest!)

Personal Professional Training Systems for sale

In Person Services (http://www.d2bfit.com/wiki/D2B/InPersonServices - broken link)

thanks for any advice!!!!!

Last edited by bornandraisedSA; 11-23-2007 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: spelling, adding site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 PM

3,060 posts, read 4,949,676 times
Give Danika from Zenergy Wellness a call - she's great!

Zenergy Wellness Massage Therapy-Yoga-Fitness Training

From her site:

Quote:
Fitness Instruction

Currently Danika is a fitness trainer at Inside Outside Wellness Center & Medical Spa in the Medical Center of San Antonio. Clients are welcome to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Christian of Inside Outside Wellness Center & Medical Spa to find out about our amazing program (&/or medical spa services). Please check out the website at Inside Outside and call 210.616.0836 and leave a voicemail that you were referred by Danika. You may also call Danika's business cell @ 210.842.3750 for more information.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 AM

4,085 posts, read 6,333,538 times
Go see Denny Bowen at Impact Self Defense on Jones-Maltsberger/Starcrest. It's a kickboxing/strength training style in a classroom setting. I've been an athlete all my life and played lacrosse on the collegiate level, and I've never been in better shape than I have after a few months with Denny. The classes are a blast and there are some people in there that have dropped a ton of weight.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:08 PM

37 posts, read 118,379 times
What is the going rate for a personal trainer? I've never used one, but I am interested.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM

86 posts, read 213,310 times
Thanks for the recommendations!

gwrober: Danika sounds great I think Yoga would be neat too, but wonder how fast I would see results. I now Madonna is big into Yoga and she is CUT (but I'm no Madonna!) I also need to burn at least 10 pounds of fat off on top of sculpting and "leaning" out.

kevcrawford: that class sounds great!!! however it's a bit far for me - I should have listed my location in my post -I live at Medina Lake and mostly exist on the NW side of San Antonio when it comes to my shopping and other needs And I HATE traffic with a passion. I did take some kickboxing classes in the medical center once that were pretty good (I even became a certififed trainer at Full Life Health and Fitness (now defunct)) but I really "prefer" one on one unless it's a fast paced boot camp style.

johnromero27 - if you check out the links that are in my original post, there are rates for trainers on most of the sites. I think it starts around $35/hr to as much as $80/hr. So for a 12 week (3-4x/wk) program (at least what I'd need to get solid) I'm thinking it will run me about $2000. But in the long run, it's cheaper (and healthier) than plastic surgery! I just have to learn to keep it up after the initial training!

Thanks again for your input

Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraisedSA View Post

kevcrawford: that class sounds great!!! however it's a bit far for me - I should have listed my location in my post -I live at Medina Lake and mostly exist on the NW side of San Antonio when it comes to my shopping and other needs And I HATE traffic with a passion. I did take some kickboxing classes in the medical center once that were pretty good (I even became a certififed trainer at Full Life Health and Fitness (now defunct)) but I really "prefer" one on one unless it's a fast paced boot camp style.

Thanks again for your input
The kickboxing and strength classes are actually a bootcamp style. There are only about 5-10 in each class, depending on what time you go. After work there are a few more.

But you're right, that's really far to go for you.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,071 times
kev crawford - do you still work out at Impact? I work right across the street from his studio and want to get serious about working out again.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM

Yep. Definitely give it a shot. He'll give you a free week.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 PM

3,468 posts, read 5,648,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amysatpon View Post
kev crawford - do you still work out at Impact? I work right across the street from his studio and want to get serious about working out again.
And last time I saw him after a workout, you could TELL he had worked out!!! Pee-You!!! LOL!!! (luv ya, kev!!)

Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 AM

80 posts, read 233,958 times
I work out at Fitness Together (Fitness Together-San Antonio, TX – One on One Personal Training – 1 Client 1 Trainer 1 Goal) ... they are a one-on-one gym where you are there working out with just the trainer (a great solution if you dont like large gyms and crowds). They give you the first session free so you can see if its for you and the memberships are by session (ie you pay for 25 of 50 sessions at a time) which you can schedule to fit your timeframe/work schedule/whatever. I think they do a great job and would definitely recommend them. They are located in the Vineyard Shopping Center at 1604 and Blanco. PM me if you want more info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio