U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 AM

425 posts, read 513,531 times

Advertisements

I would love to see more roundabouts and hope the idea is adopted more, but I am not so sure how it would work on high volume intersections.

I think a roundabout on Wilderness Oak/Hardy Oak would be perfect for the amount of traffic going through there, but instead they are soon installing another stupid traffic light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 PM

21 posts, read 22,564 times
I just thought I'd let everyone know that I am following this thread, and so are others .....

http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/62/Topics/2406628

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to register and respond to the aforementioned post, but I wanted ya'll to know - I am following this thread. ;-)

In response to that post though, am I reading that right?

Texans are too dumb for roundabouts?

Wow.

I've lived in France. In France, congested intersections FLOW. Give a Frenchman a cell phone, a red light, and you know what you have? Lunch! (God forbid he has an F350 and an iPad!) If the French can figure out roundabouts - SURELY Texans can.

A few thoughts: In roundabouts drivers have to maintain their awareness throughout the entire intersection... BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO. It is a fact that there are lot less serious and fatal accidents in modern roundabouts than traffic controlled boondoggles like Culebra and 1604.

Our current traffic controlled intersections allow people to sit, park, read, call, brush, pick and light. They have sensors, that (in theory) keep the traffic flowing. But these sensors are OFTEN times trumped by inattentive drivers... and perform mediocre at best in the best of conditions.

In a roundabout - you are already assuming someone is coming from your left and is going to plow into yo azz. Roundabouts breed caution. They are magical when they work right. :-)

Current traffic controlled intersections are complicated, expensive, inefficient, non-sustainable, prone to serious accidents, environmentally unfriendly, and wasteful.

Roundabouts are cheap simple and smart.

Just yesterday, I was on 1604 S and taking a left (E) onto Potranco. (an unusual route for me). I was stopped waiting for my left turn light. A concrete truck - I am not kidding - 12 tons of crap - comes whizzing inches past right door, at at least 70 miles an hour, trying to make the green light on 1604 southbound. That wasn't an accident on that day, but there will be one just like it in the near future, I guarantee it. THAT nonsense, does not happen in roundabouts! PERIOD.

Roundabouts are inherently more efficient and WAY safer. IMHO. Slow all traffic to 40, and let us figure it out.

Last edited by wdatabase; 12-10-2013 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 05:43 AM

3,141 posts, read 5,162,772 times
I think the roundabouts on private roads inside shopping complexes seem to work reasonably well. The only one I've experienced on a public street in San Antonio (actually, City of Olmos Park) is at McCullough and Olmos, and that one is a total failure, IMO. The thru traffic on McCullough likes to blow through it without yielding, making it dangerous for motorists approaching from the two other streets. And they finally gave up rebuilding the fountain in the middle of the circle that kept getting plowed down by motorists that would blow through the intersection.

I will go out of my way now to avoid that roundabout.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:56 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,358,052 times
We say almost every day we wish more intersections had roundabouts! They are easy to use.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,409,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdatabase View Post
I just thought I'd let everyone know that I am following this thread, and so are others .....

LMAO - a roundabout at 1604 and potranco? | San Antonio | Forums | TexAgs

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to register and respond to the aforementioned post, but I wanted ya'll to know - I am following this thread. ;-)

In response to that post though, am I reading that right?

Texans are too dumb for roundabouts?

Wow.

I've lived in France. In France, congested intersections FLOW. Give a Frenchman a cell phone, a red light, and you know what you have? Lunch! (God forbid he has an F350 and an iPad!) If the French can figure out roundabouts - SURELY Texans can.

A few thoughts: In roundabouts drivers have to maintain their awareness throughout the entire intersection... BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO. It is a fact that there are lot less serious and fatal accidents in modern roundabouts than traffic controlled boondoggles like Culebra and 1604.

Our current traffic controlled intersections allow people to sit, park, read, call, brush, pick and light. They have sensors, that (in theory) keep the traffic flowing. But these sensors are OFTEN times trumped by inattentive drivers... and perform mediocre at best in the best of conditions.

In a roundabout - you are already assuming someone is coming from your left and is going to plow into yo azz. Roundabouts breed caution. They are magical when they work right. :-)

Current traffic controlled intersections are complicated, expensive, inefficient, non-sustainable, prone to serious accidents, environmentally unfriendly, and wasteful.

Roundabouts are cheap simple and smart.

Just yesterday, I was on 1604 S and taking a left (E) onto Potranco. (an unusual route for me). I was stopped waiting for my left turn light. A concrete truck - I am not kidding - 12 tons of crap - comes whizzing inches past right door, at at least 70 miles an hour, trying to make the green light on 1604 southbound. That wasn't an accident on that day, but there will be one just like it in the near future, I guarantee it. THAT nonsense, does not happen in roundabouts! PERIOD.

Roundabouts are inherently more efficient and WAY safer. IMHO. Slow all traffic to 40, and let us figure it out.
Roundabouts are not common here in San Antonio. People here are not used to them. You take that as "Texans being too dumb" to use them. Whenever you are exposed to a new process that you never learned before, do you master it the first time?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,900,320 times
Disagreement here that Texans, even SAers more specifically, could not learn how to properly maneuver through a roundabout. The reason we lack them is due to traffic engineers and administrators deciding not to install them.

There are also other measures which would increase safety and decrease traffic accidents saving both lives and money for all of us.

Click the link to read the article in full. Eric Dumbaugh from TAMU's Urban Planning Department appears in it.

Quote:
A Danish city redesigned a major intersection, adding a traffic circle and fountains, narrowing roads, and reducing signs and signals. The result? Injuries at the spot have fallen from eight per year to just one.

Meanwhile, the United States has been slow to embrace the "white-knuckle" approach. American traffic design centers on improving traffic flow, which often means creating roads that cars can zoom through effortlessly, Dumbaugh says.
Outside In: Street Smarts - Psychology Today

Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,263,975 times
I'd never even heard of roundabouts until I was in Australia. I took a bus from Brisbane to Queensland and I was woozy after all those roundabouts. Traffic seems to flow nicely, but you'd have to get used to them....of course they also drive on the left side of the road so I was even more confused! They would work here once everyone learned how to use them so that traffic flowed easily.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I think the roundabouts on private roads inside shopping complexes seem to work reasonably well. The only one I've experienced on a public street in San Antonio (actually, City of Olmos Park) is at McCullough and Olmos, and that one is a total failure, IMO. The thru traffic on McCullough likes to blow through it without yielding, making it dangerous for motorists approaching from the two other streets. And they finally gave up rebuilding the fountain in the middle of the circle that kept getting plowed down by motorists that would blow through the intersection.

I will go out of my way now to avoid that roundabout.
Perhaps adding in a speed bump temporarily for north-south traffic could serve as a learning curve in teaching others to slow down before approaching?

More permanent elements could be breaking up the flow of traffic on McCullough by engineering in curves on the road before the roundabout, public art along the thoroughfare, and other distractions so drivers on the busier street come in slower than now.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 PM

21 posts, read 22,564 times
How many accidents have there been at that roundabout in Olmos Park? (and if any - any injuries?) - just curious.

I will take a drive through it tomorrow. :-)

Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdatabase View Post
How many accidents have there been at that roundabout in Olmos Park? (and if any - any injuries?) - just curious.

I will take a drive through it tomorrow. :-)
Plenty of single-vehicle accidents and most likely involving alcohol.

Don't forget about driving through the lesser used Alameda Circle as well if you want to visit both of our areas roundabouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio