U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:19 PM

790 posts, read 1,605,870 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected! The number is actually over 150,000! Excellent news!

153,000 stray pets on San Antonio Streets - Animals Matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 02:46 AM

501 posts, read 837,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
I stand corrected! The number is actually over 150,000! Excellent news!

153,000 stray pets on San Antonio Streets - Animals Matter
Quote:
Hey Mr. Baltimore -- First, please visit San Antonio to check out the scene. I live in Northern Virginia and wouldn't want to be in your current area (Maryland / Baltimore County) for all the tea in China. But San Antonio might not be to your liking, either.

You didn't ask about this but San Antonio has more than 100,000 stray dogs and cats. I had a small dog when I lived in SA, and let me tell you, it was not fun walking around. The city successfully gases about 32,000 a year, but the number continues to hover at 100,000. It just says a lot to me about the social fabric of the city. (And I actually like SA...just don't think it's for everyone.)
And do you think San Antonio is the only city with strays?

Baltimore has 200,000 stray cats alone roaming the streets. 200,000! I can only imagine how many dogs.

Phoenix as well has a stray cat population of 200,000.

Dallas has a stray cat population of 350,000.

I'd post another cities and their stray populations but those are hard to come by online as they don't get reported it seems.

P.S.

That link of yours is from 2011. Recent figures have that number down to 100,000.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:07 AM

500 posts, read 797,244 times
Numbers and statistics are often misleading. Speaking as one who developed and sold statistical analysis systems for over 30 years, I can tell you that there are always 2,3, even 5 or more ways to look at a number, and still not have a full understanding of what you're looking at.

Personally, I don't see what feral animal problems have to do with this post. The issue is unsolicited. However, I have lived in San Antonio and Dallas, visit Phoenix every month, and have friends in Baltimore. IMO the issue of strays is much worse in San Antonio than any of those other cities. Much worse.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:14 AM

4,149 posts, read 4,708,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwl8521 View Post
Blacks make up 12% of the population, but 40% of welfare recipients. I'm not aiming that comment at you individually, but that statistic is relevant for a reason.
Since you brought up that statistic, I think you would be happiest on the east side of SA.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,435,762 times
Quote:

You didn't ask about this but San Antonio has more than 100,000 stray dogs and cats. I had a small dog when I lived in SA, and let me tell you, it was not fun walking around. The city successfully gases about 32,000 a year, but the number continues to hover at 100,000. It just says a lot to me about the social fabric of the city. (And I actually like SA...just don't think it's for everyone.)
I walk my dog twice a day and I've never had a problem with a stray animal. He and I love walking the river.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 PM

67 posts, read 113,692 times
Baltimore is a nasty city filled with drugs, violent crime, illiteracy, and people too lazy to get a job

To be clear, I live in a suburb north of Baltimore. Even that has grown intolerable.

Maryland and Baltimore has a recurring theme of "let's tax the few productive citizens we have so that we can give it away to people who don't want to work!"

It's not as bad as Detroit, but it's getting close!

When I found this link, I couldn't help but think of Baltimore City:
Urban Dictionary: white flight

Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM

67 posts, read 113,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Numbers and statistics are often misleading. Speaking as one who developed and sold statistical analysis systems for over 30 years, I can tell you that there are always 2,3, even 5 or more ways to look at a number, and still not have a full understanding of what you're looking at.

Personally, I don't see what feral animal problems have to do with this post. The issue is unsolicited. However, I have lived in San Antonio and Dallas, visit Phoenix every month, and have friends in Baltimore. IMO the issue of strays is much worse in San Antonio than any of those other cities. Much worse.
I grew up in San Francisco and noticed that it has way more homeless people compared to Baltimore. I suspect that Baltimore gets so damn cold every year that the homeless people just plain die off.

Is San Antonio a much warmer place and this allows for more stray animals/people to survive the winter?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM

790 posts, read 1,605,870 times
I brought up the stray dog/cat population because I think it is a very accurate picture of the fabric/social milieu of the city.

Others on this forum will disagree; but SA is pretty damn hot.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:14 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,358,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I walk my dog twice a day and I've never had a problem with a stray animal. He and I love walking the river.
really? I am surprised. You know I love my 'hood and SA, but the number of stray dogs is insane, esp. on the river. The newbies keep "rescuing" them, and then get stuck. We've rescued a few, but over time have accepted we just can't get them all. I often notice new ones too, I think this area is a prime dumping zone. The new ones are clearly former pets - they look well at first, respond well to people, so they didn't grow up on the streets. And the cats, well, they're out of control.

Mostly, the stray dogs look lonely and want a home. But occasionally you come across a pack that's pretty scary.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM

500 posts, read 797,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwl8521 View Post
I grew up in San Francisco and noticed that it has way more homeless people compared to Baltimore. I suspect that Baltimore gets so damn cold every year that the homeless people just plain die off.

Is San Antonio a much warmer place and this allows for more stray animals/people to survive the winter?
IMO, San Antonio's stray problem is a function of culture, not weather. I suspect the homeless do tend to gravitate to warmer climes if possible, but again IMO we don't have a huge homeless problem in San Antonio compared to other cities our size. They do exist, but you'll find mostly hard working people here.

I remember one visit to Baltimore, where our friends, who he being a retired Firefighter, drove us through near north downtown. I was astonished at the number of crack houses. Talk about an opportunity for gentrification! Our friends, like you, lived in the northern suburbs. The eventually moved to Ocean City.

Speaking to the question of is it warmer than Baltimore or San Francisco, a 5 day visit in any month from June through September will tell you yes, it's much warmer. Expect to see highs over 100 during much of that time frame. On the positive side, you may see highs of near 90 during the holidays (this particular week notwithstanding). This is Texas, and some who move here are not fond of the heat, so buyer beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or