Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:19 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times

Advertisements

When I enrolled my son in school this year for kindergarten, I did not know it would be full day until school was actually starting. Now that he had been going I really am not happy. It does not help matters that I despise his teacher. I really wish he was there half day like what I expected for kinder. The problem is my other child goes to same school and loves it. I have looked into other options but it seems the norm here even in outside cities.

Does anyone have advice or know of any other options. My last resort is homeschool but he really likes his peers and is very social. I would just let it pass and accept it but with I really don't like the teacher and her attitude. I have never had a problem with a teacher until this one I just want her away from my son ASAP.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 04:54 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
The question is...how is your son doing? Does he like it? Is he making progress?

Old 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Is he enrolled in kinder in a public school? All day is pretty much the norm for local school districts. Perhaps look into private school options. Is it more about the teacher or the actual full day? If your kiddo and his other classmates likes the teacher and school, I would keep it as is. Some teachers may display a surly demeanor with parents or other adults but may be great with the kids.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
what's wrong with the teacher? You do know you can request your son be placed in a different classroom, right?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Ask to have him switched to a different class.

My daughter's kindergarten teacher was horrible and she made us feel like we were the problem. (said we should have had her in daycare for several years before bringing her to the school) She ignored my daughter when my daughter needed help and she refused to take my daughter's allergy seriously or to let us show her how to administer the epi-pen, so my daughter couldn't go on any field trips. My daughter disliked the teacher so much that she would cry and beg to go back home because she said something was going to happen to her and no one would care. Then she fell and got a concussion at recess and nobody noticed or realized that she was really ill...I picked her up from school that day and both of her lips were split open and she was running a fever and vomiting. There was another time she came home with a bruise on her neck and the teacher said she had been playing with her full cafeteria tray and it had flipped up and smacked her on the neck...but her shirt had no food spots on it at all.

Anyhow, I wish I had put my foot down and demanded that my daughter be moved to a different class. The next year she had a great teacher and she did really well, but it was really hard to get her to get over her fear of school after her rough kindergarten year.

(Now she goes to online school but that's a different story )

Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM

733 posts, read 1,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
When I enrolled my son in school this year for kindergarten, I did not know it would be full day until school was actually starting. Now that he had been going I really am not happy. It does not help matters that I despise his teacher. I really wish he was there half day like what I expected for kinder. The problem is my other child goes to same school and loves it. I have looked into other options but it seems the norm here even in outside cities.

Does anyone have advice or know of any other options. My last resort is homeschool but he really likes his peers and is very social. I would just let it pass and accept it but with I really don't like the teacher and her attitude. I have never had a problem with a teacher until this one I just want her away from my son ASAP.

Thanks!
it doesnt really matter what you like. if your son is learning and enjoying his time there, GOOD. thats what its for! sounds like YOU have the problem with his teacher for some unknown reason. im sure if you told us that reason, it wouldnt shine favorably on you.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
it doesnt really matter what you like. if your son is learning and enjoying his time there, GOOD. thats what its for! sounds like YOU have the problem with his teacher for some unknown reason. im sure if you told us that reason, it wouldnt shine favorably on you.

Wow...kinda harsh assumptions considering the lack of information we've been given. I mean, is there nothing to be said for mother's intuition? All of a sudden this is all on the OP, she's the problem?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM

206 posts, read 464,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Is he enrolled in kinder in a public school? All day is pretty much the norm for local school districts. Perhaps look into private school options. Is it more about the teacher or the actual full day? If your kiddo and his other classmates likes the teacher and school, I would keep it as is. Some teachers may display a surly demeanor with parents or other adults but may be great with the kids.
Private Catholic schools go all day, for prek, and kinder.
My brother and I loved it, so, just my 2 cents.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:20 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
The question is...how is your son doing? Does he like it? Is he making progress?
He is doing so so. He has speech disability that has affected his motor skills. This is a problem with a lot. The school had barely started the process for him and others. I just don't think his teacher is fit for dealing with him. She is not warm and for some reason just doesn't connect with my son. She complains about his behavior too much. Yes he is on the wild side but no more than his fellow boys his age.

She is also so guarded and hard to talk to. When I go there she whisk kids away and basically shuts me out. Also I had issue with her and one time my older daughter saw him crying in hall by himself and said he was lost. When I approach her she immediately took blame off herself and said she was not in control of them(they were in computer lab with aid) it was misunderstanding but it was the WAY she communicated with me that passed me off.

If it was me who just didn't like her fine, I can deal. But my son also doesn't care for her and seems nervous when her name is mentioned. I have emailed principal but no response. This school is a charter school already on low enrollment for kinder. Honestly the other teacher doesn't seem much better but I don't know if switching is option with already low student ratio.

Last edited by laina1980; 11-22-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 03:20 PM

500 posts, read 968,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow...kinda harsh assumptions considering the lack of information we've been given. I mean, is there nothing to be said for mother's intuition? All of a sudden this is all on the OP, she's the problem?
I agree, that's purely an assumption, and it's quite harsh.

One should rarely, if ever, question a Mother's intuition. I'm sure I'm not speaking of myself alone, when I say it's one of the very first lessons I ever learned as a Dad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio