U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
545 posts, read 2,086,707 times
Reputation: 210

Advertisements

We had similar bad service the two times we've been there. The first time was right after they'd opened, which is why we gave it another chance. Seems like they're pulling their waitstaff from the bottom of the barrel.

I also had a bad experience at Wings to Go about a year ago - placed an order to go and when I got it home, they had shorted us 5 wings. Not a big deal, but when I called to tell them about it, the girl I talked to said there wasn't a manager there (how does that happen?) and actually asked if I wanted to bring the order back! I told her I'd already driven there and back, and I wasn't about to drive there wait so they could make me more food, then drive back home again - I was hungry! I gave her my name and number and asked that manager call me (which they never did) and eventually emailed their website and never heard back from anyone either. We've never been back.

We were sad when the wings place at Callaghan and I-10 closed, so now we just go to Wing Stop. At least there you don't have to worry about bad waiters.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 PM
 
74 posts, read 332,431 times
Reputation: 33
Ate there once and that was enough to know that their wings were awful, or to put it bluntly, sucked! I will never eat wings from there again unless someone brings them over as a "surprise". I prefer Hooter or Wing Stop wings. I do take-out at both places so no restaurant reviews would ever be provided from me on these merchants. Food at both is great. Can't wait for Wing Stop on Potranco to open to see if the rumors of a more expensive menu and different taste than other Wing Stop's is true.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,344,322 times
Reputation: 18705
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
Ate there once and that was enough to know that their wings were awful, or to put it bluntly, sucked! I will never eat wings from there again unless someone brings them over as a "surprise". I prefer Hooter or Wing Stop wings. I do take-out at both places so no restaurant reviews would ever be provided from me on these merchants. Food at both is great. Can't wait for Wing Stop on Potranco to open to see if the rumors of a more expensive menu and different taste than other Wing Stop's is true.
I'm with you awaiting the opening of the Potranco Wing Stop...and even if they are a little more expensive, it will be worth the time/gas/traffic we get to avoid going to the closest one currently which is Bandera Rd. That alone is enough to get us to "rethink" our craving...which is what led us to the BWW to begin with.

Will be interesting to see if the Wing Stop or Which Wich opens first...I think those same "snails" are building the Dave's Doubleworks Pizza place...it started before everything else and still looks a lloooooonnnnngggg way from being ready.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 17 days ago)
 
14,614 posts, read 31,149,965 times
Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I'm with you awaiting the opening of the Potranco Wing Stop...and even if they are a little more expensive, it will be worth the time/gas/traffic we get to avoid going to the closest one currently which is Bandera Rd. That alone is enough to get us to "rethink" our craving...which is what led us to the BWW to begin with.

Will be interesting to see if the Wing Stop or Which Wich opens first...I think those same "snails" are building the Dave's Doubleworks Pizza place...it started before everything else and still looks a lloooooonnnnngggg way from being ready.
Last night my 11 year old had 2 friends over, so I made my own wings. I bought 2 5lb bags of frozen wings at Wal-Mart @ $9.88 each, 4 packs of McCormick seasoning mix (2 buffalo, 1 garlic, 1 bbq) @ $1.26 each, 1 bottle of Ranch dressing @ $1.77, and 1 bottle of Bleu cheese dressing @ $2.04, so I think I made out much better than ..........hey, maybe not!! Wow, we spent almost $30 to make wings at home!! Oh well, they were extremely easy, and very tasty, and the service was awesome! Oh, I also forgot the rolls--they were like $3 from the bakery at Wal-Mart, and they were pretty tasty. There was plenty left over for my older son to have a snack when he got off work at 11:30, plus there's a little left for today. I think we'll be going this route from now on, only I am going to do boneless, skinless pieces next time. I could feel my arteries clogging last night.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
432 posts, read 995,909 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
What a great idea, I would have never thought of that...THANKS!!!

Maybe if we had sat at the bar it would have meant that the service would have been better AND my husband would not have had to wait 20 minutes for his beer....and we are both convinced if I had not ASKED for it, he would have never gotten it!!! Funny part is, on the drive over there, I had told him that I would be his DD for the evening, and he could enjoy as much beer as he wanted with his dinner...figured we would sit, watch the game, enjoy the food and the game, and just know that he could have more than his normal "one beer" before driving home. With that intent, we certainly would have spent more AND tipped well for an entertaining evening out.

To the other posters, I know that this was that "once in a lifetime" type of event, but it was HONESTLY so darn negative that I would not step foot into another one just to prove that it was a fluke.

Anxiously awaiting the opening of the Wing Stop here about a mile from the house...I feel their wings are bigger for sure (and while I appreciated the flavor of the two sauces that we tried at BWW, it sure was not worth the attitude.

Speaking of wings, am I the ONLY one that thinks that the wings at Hooters are about 3 times the size of anywhere else in town???? We have had the honor of eating wings at the "Anchor Bar" in Buffalo NY which claims to be the HOME of the original buffalo wings...and it was GREAT...but a little too far a commute from here when you get the itch!
Paka, are not the wings at the Anchor Bar the best? If you do get the itch you can scratch it because they now have priorty overnight mail order!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,344,322 times
Reputation: 18705
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
Paka, are not the wings at the Anchor Bar the best? If you do get the itch you can scratch it because they now have priorty overnight mail order!
I LOVE the Anchor bar wings...those honestly are the best I have ever had....and HUGE too!

Overnight wings...can't say that even overnight sounds fresh enough...have you tried having them mailed to you like that? We HAVE ordered the BEST crab cakes in the WORLD from G&M in Linthicum, MD on the overnight...was to celebrate a big promotion and good stuff (not as good as eating them there, but good). VERY close to the Baltimore airport, so we normally pick up some and drag them thru the airport with us coming home...you would be AMAZED at the number of folks that approach you and want you to share...they are AWESOME! Have a website for those interested in finding it for the next trip or looking to order.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 12:03 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,344,322 times
Reputation: 18705
Hey, went to their website after you mentioned the Anchor Bar had one, and they have a retail outlet in TEXAS....the only one listed was :

Sambets Deli, 8650 Spicewood Springs Road, Austin, TX (512-258-6410)

I am guessing they would be frozen, but the have LOTS of place listed in all the states where you are suppose to be able to get "Anchor Bar wings"...I think I just need another trip to Buffalo personally!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 12:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
432 posts, read 995,909 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Hey, went to their website after you mentioned the Anchor Bar had one, and they have a retail outlet in TEXAS....the only one listed was :

Sambets Deli, 8650 Spicewood Springs Road, Austin, TX (512-258-6410)

I am guessing they would be frozen, but the have LOTS of place listed in all the states where you are suppose to be able to get "Anchor Bar wings"...I think I just need another trip to Buffalo personally!
I believe that they have outlets where you can purchase the wing sauces etc. I never tried to have them shipped to me as I can drive to Buffalo from Chautauqua County and get a fix when I need it. My son who lives in San Antonio says that this is one of the things he misses...great wings!

As far as your trip to Buffalo, it is in the high 20s so we just started to wear sweaters, so you might want to pack one! LOL!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,815 posts, read 33,137,620 times
Reputation: 13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I wish Buffalo Wild Wings (the one here) was an actual BW3, like they have in Michigan and Ohio.
According to the company web site, in 1998 all of the restaurants in the chain were renamed from BW3 to Buffalo Wild Wings.

Quote:
Are you the same company as BW-3?

Yes, when we opened our first location in 1982, our original name was Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck - thus the BW-3.

We're sure this poses another question? What the Heck is a Weck?? A Weck is short for kimmelweck, a Kaiser roll seasoned with special toppings. These tasty rolls are popular on the East Coast and were served at our restaurants when we first opened. In 1998, we officially changed our name to Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar to better describe our restaurants.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 12:40 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,344,322 times
Reputation: 18705
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
I believe that they have outlets where you can purchase the wing sauces etc. I never tried to have them shipped to me as I can drive to Buffalo from Chautauqua County and get a fix when I need it. My son who lives in San Antonio says that this is one of the things he misses...great wings!

As far as your trip to Buffalo, it is in the high 20s so we just started to wear sweaters, so you might want to pack one! LOL!
OK...in a few months...when things start to thaw...a trip to Buffalo for sure!

In the mean time, you enjoy for me!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top