U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, LEO's ARE watched - both by citizens and those within their own department. They have ways of "handling" those routinely out of line. Do they catch them all? Absolutely not - but they dislike the rule-breakers more than we do as civilians, because it makes them ALL look bad.

Believe it or not, that's what it is. For the record, I own a Texas-based gun forum, and know personally that Neshomamench is, in fact, a currently serving LEO. His department I won't reveal, because he wishes anonymity - which I can understand. The nature of our forum is such that any LEO that desires to access certain sections of our board has to submit information to the moderator that leads that section (who is himself a serving LEO) for validation/verification.

And for the record.....while I may not always agree with LEO's and their departments, there's not one in this area that I don't trust to do the right thing. Because of personnel rules, it's not always as fast as we might like - but the departments DO address things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Flippant? More like cavalier to me. When I see a BCSO Deputy blow through a school zone (at a time when it is active) at ten miles over the normal speed limit (much less the school zone speed) and yammering away on their cell phone...that tells me that what you said is absolutely true.
And I sincerely hope that you made note of their unit number and filed a complaint with the BCSO. They can't be everywhere - so yeah, it IS up to us to help be their eyes and ears.

Just be aware, though, that that unit might very well have been responding to a call. There ARE legitimate instances where a unit might NOT have lights/sirens on when enroute, especially as they approach their destination. The officers by and large dislike that part - both because it takes away some of the tools they rely on to be noticed and get folks to yield - plus folks see and often report it.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM

874 posts, read 1,157,356 times
I would have liked to have gotten the number on his car, but he blew by me pretty quick and it wouldn't serve anyone well for me to pursue him to get it. The point of my post is simply that public trust is based on public confidence. We need law enforcement that is responsive and responsible.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
We need law enforcement that is responsive and responsible.
With all due respect, then - without knowing ANY of the circumstances, you're going to blast the officer? You could have called the BCSO - they generally know the locations of their units....but you didn't even attempt that. Sorry - if I had seen that, I WOULD have called - even without the unit number, because if nothing else, it let's them know that they need to put out the word at Roll Call that it's being reported. But you might also have discovered that the unit was, in fact, responding to a call where lights/siren shouldn't have been used.

Information is a good thing.....

Old 12-07-2013, 03:20 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,211,488 times
Quote:
Flippant? More like cavalier to me. When I see a BCSO Deputy blow through a school zone (at a time when it is active) at ten miles over the normal speed limit (much less the school zone speed) and yammering away on their cell phone...that tells me that what you said is absolutely true. There is no attempt to QC themselves. Who would stop them from doing what they do? Another officer? Perhaps, but seldom do we see such a thing. The standards need to be adhered to by all. If that is done, then then fewer will have any questions about credibility. When I was in the military we "policed" our own and those that were out of line were punished, sometimes heavily for infractions that would seem innocuous in other institutions. As a result, our military is universally held in high regard. If law enforcement agencies did the same, perhaps there wouldn't be so many doubts. Is law enforcing hard, frustrating, often thankless? Absolutely. Is any of that an excuse for confusing authority with privilege? Absolutely not.
So you want something done...but didnt do anything yourself.

BTW, you dont know what happened. You just know what you saw. Police are, by law (thus they cant be above the law in doing so) exempt from speed laws, at all times, no reason needed and from the cell phone laws.

For all you know, he was on his way to a very important call and communicating with his cell phone about it. It happens to most officers every day...but you are the one who assumes he was up to no good.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:22 AM

191 posts, read 220,736 times
As long as the police hire any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street without even an associates degree...you'll continue to have some lazy, undisciplined police officers.

Who here remembers a few years ago when that big FBI sting netted a few boys in blue that were working OT as bodyguards for the Mexican Mafia?

Crazy, huh? Having said all that...you literally could not pay me enough to take that job. Thank goodness they get the PTSD soldiers back from the war. Uh, I guess.

BTW. Do you think they'll ever start drug testing the police for steroids? Hmm...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,630,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_mays View Post
As long as the police hire any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street without even an associates degree...you'll continue to have some lazy, undisciplined police officers.

Who here remembers a few years ago when that big FBI sting netted a few boys in blue that were working OT as bodyguards for the Mexican Mafia?

Crazy, huh? Having said all that...you literally could not pay me enough to take that job. Thank goodness they get the PTSD soldiers back from the war. Uh, I guess.

BTW. Do you think they'll ever start drug testing the police for steroids? Hmm...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Kind of random. But wasn't the sting for guys who were TRYING to get hired by the "Mexican Mafia" and not guys who were already hired?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
So you want something done...but didnt do anything yourself.

BTW, you dont know what happened. You just know what you saw. Police are, by law (thus they cant be above the law in doing so) exempt from speed laws, at all times, no reason needed and from the cell phone laws.

For all you know, he was on his way to a very important call and communicating with his cell phone about it. It happens to most officers every day...but you are the one who assumes he was up to no good.
Don't they have to have their lights and sirens on if they're going to speed?

I see this happen probably once per month by police in front of the school zone. I've called the police (about this as well as the multiple-times per week civilians running the red light in front of the school). They've just blown me off, telling me there's nothing they can do. I've even sent pictures when possible (but chasing them down is not always easy). Just recently I was nearly run over by someone not recognizing the school zone/pedestrian crossing, directly in front of a police car. When I tried the get the attention of the police officer (to at least give this person a warning), he blew me off with his hand and stepped on the gas. I'm extra cautious, still doesn't excuse police officer for driving unsafely around a school zone.

Once, on my 25mph residential street, a cop was speeding w/no lights, sirens (well, they speed a lot, but this one was special). When he saw me he put on his siren, but by the next block had turned it off. Continued to speed but it was clear he'd only put the siren on because I saw him.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,211,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Don't they have to have their lights and sirens on if they're going to speed?

I see this happen probably once per month by police in front of the school zone. I've called the police (about this as well as the multiple-times per week civilians running the red light in front of the school). They've just blown me off, telling me there's nothing they can do. I've even sent pictures when possible (but chasing them down is not always easy). Just recently I was nearly run over by someone not recognizing the school zone/pedestrian crossing, directly in front of a police car. When I tried the get the attention of the police officer (to at least give this person a warning), he blew me off with his hand and stepped on the gas. I'm extra cautious, still doesn't excuse police officer for driving unsafely around a school zone.

Once, on my 25mph residential street, a cop was speeding w/no lights, sirens (well, they speed a lot, but this one was special). When he saw me he put on his siren, but by the next block had turned it off. Continued to speed but it was clear he'd only put the siren on because I saw him.
A Police patrol is exempt from speed laws. It really is that black and white. In the State of Texas, there are no qualifiers to that. lights, sirens, location, time, whatever...none of that changes the exemption. Of course, the police are always liable for their actions.

As for "almost" run over...there is nothing an officer can do. Nothing actually happened. This is your lack of understanding of the law, not a flaw in the Police. The law is very clear. In the State of Texas, a misdemeanor must occur within the presence and/or view of an officer for him to arrest (a ticket is an arrest) People get real mad when they see bad drivers, have proof, the whole nine yards...and then the Police dont "act" on that information. The law is such, they cant unless they see it or go through the process of getting a judge to issue a warrant...which isnt going to happen for traffic issue. YOU (anyone) do not dictate who an office will give tickets or warnings too...most often because the Officer cant do it anyways. You can see people run stop signs all day long and take all the pictures you want...the Police cant do anything about those incidents. (they can step up enforcement which they do and you wanting that helps prove another point against people who get mad about cops staking a stop sign or "speed trap" out...most of the time it is because citizens ask us to)

As always, you also only know what you see, you dont actually know what is happening. You have no idea what the Officer is doing. An officer may "blow you off" because he is watching the guy who is suspected of molesting kids. Whatever is wrong in your world is the most important things to you...I get that...but it isnt the most important thing in the world. The officer may very well have something far more important going on and yes, we have to make those chocies. Sometimes, the people with "less" serious issues get blown off for more serious issues.

The idea that the officer "saw you" and because of that "it is clear" is also ludicrous. You are again convinced what you saw is the total truth. You have no idea what was actually going on and you are using the timing of what you saw to justify what you are sure is truth. Again, there is zero law that an Officer must use a siren.

Cops turn on their sirens (and lights) and turn them off, often in strange places, in strange ways, for reasons most people dont have a clue about. For example, you might run through town with your lights and siren and then turn it off several blocks before you turn into the Dennys. Somewhere on forums like this, someone is swearing up and down they saw a cop speed through lights and stop signs with their lights only to get to dinner at dennys. Again, people believe what they see, but without all the information often draw the wrong conclusion. What they dont know is the alarm was set of at Dennys(or wherever)...you dont often show up to an alarm call with lights and sirens.

To be blunt, the way you start this post proves my point. You have bad information that you were sure was right. It isnt.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
A Police patrol is exempt from speed laws. It really is that black and white. In the State of Texas, there are no qualifiers to that. lights, sirens, location, time, whatever...none of that changes the exemption. Of course, the police are always liable for their actions.

As for "almost" run over...there is nothing an officer can do. Nothing actually happened. This is your lack of understanding of the law, not a flaw in the Police. The law is very clear. In the State of Texas, a misdemeanor must occur within the presence and/or view of an officer for him to arrest (a ticket is an arrest) People get real mad when they see bad drivers, have proof, the whole nine yards...and then the Police dont "act" on that information. The law is such, they cant unless they see it or go through the process of getting a judge to issue a warrant...which isnt going to happen for traffic issue. YOU (anyone) do not dictate who an office will give tickets or warnings too...most often because the Officer cant do it anyways. You can see people run stop signs all day long and take all the pictures you want...the Police cant do anything about those incidents. (they can step up enforcement which they do and you wanting that helps prove another point against people who get mad about cops staking a stop sign or "speed trap" out...most of the time it is because citizens ask us to)

As always, you also only know what you see, you dont actually know what is happening. You have no idea what the Officer is doing. An officer may "blow you off" because he is watching the guy who is suspected of molesting kids. Whatever is wrong in your world is the most important things to you...I get that...but it isnt the most important thing in the world. The officer may very well have something far more important going on and yes, we have to make those chocies. Sometimes, the people with "less" serious issues get blown off for more serious issues.

The idea that the officer "saw you" and because of that "it is clear" is also ludicrous. You are again convinced what you saw is the total truth. You have no idea what was actually going on and you are using the timing of what you saw to justify what you are sure is truth. Again, there is zero law that an Officer must use a siren.

Cops turn on their sirens (and lights) and turn them off, often in strange places, in strange ways, for reasons most people dont have a clue about. For example, you might run through town with your lights and siren and then turn it off several blocks before you turn into the Dennys. Somewhere on forums like this, someone is swearing up and down they saw a cop speed through lights and stop signs with their lights only to get to dinner at dennys. Again, people believe what they see, but without all the information often draw the wrong conclusion. What they dont know is the alarm was set of at Dennys(or wherever)...you dont often show up to an alarm call with lights and sirens.

To be blunt, the way you start this post proves my point. You have bad information that you were sure was right. It isnt.
I do thank you for clarifying the law. I was unaware that police can drive recklessly because they are in a police car. Perhaps time for the law to change. As far as I am aware, the only time drivers need to pull over/out of the way is when the sirens/lights are on, so it makes sense that a police officer driving above the speed limit and through red lights *should* be required to follow appropriate safety precautions so as to not put other drivers in danger. That's what the fire department does ( I live very near a station).

The officer who was sitting in front of me, saw a driver being distracted - he was looking at her - if he had something else on his *mind* I don't know, but he was watching her when I looked at him. The driver turned into an intersection with a pedestrian already in it, the only reason "nothing happened" is because *I* stopped. If she had hit me and my child, is the officer still justified in ignoring her reckless driving? Does disaster have to occur for a response?

And yes, staying alive while crossing a street - following all laws and being cautious - is perhaps the most important thing in my world. That a reckless driver can narrowly miss someone, and have a police officer completely ignore that, sends the message to the driver that they can do whatever they want.

I personally know a number of officers, have worked with the police department extensively and have a great deal of respect for many of them. But like all professions, there are those who don't give a damn, and those who take advantage of their position.

As for speeding down my street, they do that all the time. This one incident was almost humurous, though. he looked at me, turned on his siren, then turned it off a block away as he continued down. You're not going to convince me that there was some reason for his speeding. I at least appreciated that he turned his siren on so other drivers would know there was a driver speeding and could avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio