Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:40 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yeah. Rynetwo saved you. Lol. And so what if it happens everywhere? If you had a child you would want to know so you could take precautions.
Saved me from what?

I was just waiting for the "if you had a child..." comeback. Honey, I have four little nieces, I am just as concerned about children as a parent would be and would be devastated if anything happened to them. I never questioned the notice released by the school.

You took something I said and made it into what you want to believe so you can make another comment in the style you are famous for - witty, snarky, and mean.

Posters on here keep saying how safe Stone Oak is so when something like this happens, the paranoia is usually tenfold compared to areas where crime is higher. Just my opinion. Now go find someone else to attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
???

Agreed! This is a concerned parent sharing information that obviously needs to be shared.

No it most certainly will not create an "unusual sense of paranoia". You're painting folks that live in Stone Oak with quite a broad paintbrush, as if they are all idiots that don't understand how the BIG WIDE WORLD works. Do you have kids, Matt?

As for whether or not the act of removing children is "unusual"--I disagree wholeheartedly and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children agrees. Between Feb 2005 and Jan 2013 there were approximately 8,000 reported abduction attempts (involving non-family members) which accounts for about 83 attempted abductions nationally. How is it "not unusual" for men, or multiple men, to try to abduct children? I would go so far to say it is entirely unusual, and entirely uncommon, as in certainly not a daily event in SA schools!
I agree with you it is not a "daily event", but to say it almost never happens when a child is snatched or someone attempts to do so is wrong.

The only thing unusual about this whole thing is that it happened in Stone Oak, and because of that, there will be paranoia. I don't feel like I have to defend myself anymore for making that comment.

As I mentioned earlier, I do not have any children of my own but that doesn't make me any less concerned about children than you or miss sapphire. Having four nieces, I would be equally upset if anything happened to them as their parents would be. I really wish people would stop using the "if you had kids...." argument.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Saved me from what?

I was just waiting for the "if you had a child..." comeback. Honey, I have four little nieces, I am just as concerned about children as a parent would be and would be devastated if anything happened to them. I never questioned the notice released by the school.

You took something I said and made it into what you want to believe so you can make another comment in the style you are famous for - witty, snarky, and mean.

Posters on here keep saying how safe Stone Oak is so when something like this happens, the paranoia is usually tenfold compared to areas where crime is higher. Just my opinion. Now go find someone else to attack.
Says the person who got snarky in the first place. Whatever, you deserve attacks. You attack whenever the urge strikes.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Says the person who got snarky in the first place. Whatever, you deserve attacks. You attack whenever the urge strikes.
Ok Miss Sapphire.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,767 times
Quote:
I agree with you it is not a "daily event", but to say it almost never happens when a child is snatched or someone attempts to do so is wrong.

The only thing unusual about this whole thing is that it happened in Stone Oak, and because of that, there will be paranoia. I don't feel like I have to defend myself anymore for making that comment.

As I mentioned earlier, I do not have any children of my own but that doesn't make me any less concerned about children than you or miss sapphire. Having four nieces, I would be equally upset if anything happened to them as their parents would be. I really wish people would stop using the "if you had kids...." argument.
Would you be concerned for your nieces if there were a report of a fugitive in their neighborhood? I don't see how you can really fault a parent for taking extra precautions in this case where they know there is an active kidnapper in the area.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:

It's absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, NOT the same. I love my nephews and nieces, but before I became a parent, I just had a different mindset.

Hopefully, someday, if you want, you will be able to experience having your own. It will blow your mind how differently you see the world.

People use the "if you had kids" argument because it is entirely valid.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Would you be concerned for your nieces if there were a report of a fugitive in their neighborhood? I don't see how you can really fault a parent for taking extra precautions in this case where they know there is an active kidnapper in the area.
You missed the point I was trying to make but it is my own fault I did not word my first post in this thread properly.

No where did I fault the parents for being concerned. It was mentioned that it happened in Stone Oak and I thought to myself "I bet they are really freaking out that it happened in that area because most believe it is safe there and would find it hard to believe that they have to watch their child closer."

Isn't that why most people move to that area? Safe, good schools, clean, the whole upper middle class suburban lifestyle? All it takes is one incident like this to raise a lot of paranoid reactions.

How many times do you hear on the news "I am so shocked it happened here, this is a nice close knit community...blah blah..."?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 AM

52 posts, read 104,696 times
Quote:
You missed the point I was trying to make but it is my own fault I did not word my first post in this thread properly.

No where did I fault the parents for being concerned. It was mentioned that it happened in Stone Oak and I thought to myself "I bet they are really freaking out that it happened in that area because most believe it is safe there and would find it hard to believe that they have to watch their child closer."

Isn't that why most people move to that area? Safe, good schools, clean, the whole upper middle class suburban lifestyle? All it takes is one incident like this to raise a lot of paranoid reactions.

How many times do you hear on the news "I am so shocked it happened here, this is a nice close knit community...blah blah..."?
Dude, it seems like you should quit while you are ahead. I am a parent living in Stone Oak, and I certainly don't see how being concerned equates to "paranoid reactions."

Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japan-virginia View Post
Dude, it seems like you should quit while you are ahead. I am a parent living in Stone Oak, and I certainly don't see how being concerned equates to "paranoid reactions."

I never faulted any parents for being concerned or said they shouldn't be concerned. I see this is a touchy subject for parents in particular. I apologize to all parents for my words that were taken out of context, especially those from Stone Oak.

I have nothing more to say.

Edit: Be a big girl Sapphire and say what you have to say to me in the thread. Don't send me "positive" reps with a comment. I hate those. I have never held back my thoughts or feelings on here, I only expect the same from others.

Last edited by Azure110; 12-04-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM

501 posts, read 949,154 times
Way to ruin a serious thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio