U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,311,940 times
Reputation: 3308

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
Your argument makes no sense

1) Because he is a "skinny white, early 20's" college student, he shouldn't be stopped for DUI? WRONG

2) Because he is a "skinny white, early 20's" college student, he can't attack a police officer? WRONG

3) You can't be justified in shooting someone who attacks you with a baton? You can't be justified in shooting someone who attacks you while at gunpoint? WRONG

You make it sound like the cop started shooting at him while they were driving down Broadway on the speculation he was a mass-murdered. That's not what happened by anyone's account.

None of these things make the officer's actions justified, but nothing so far proves the inverse, either, which is what you have to prove.
He's saying that the cop should have profiled him. I'd bet if it was a young black man that it happened to, he'd complain that the cop profiled him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:07 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
243 posts, read 282,869 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
I don't need to back up my statements to anyone. This is not a courtroom. So, like I said, go use google and research whatever you feel like researching. I stand by my statement. If you feel like trying to prove me wrong... don't care. You don't believe my statement... don't care. Pretty much anything you say or think... don't care.
Very predictable response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:10 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,311,940 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I would say something to add to the discussion above but Neshomamench is always correct, even when he really isn't correct. Why keep arguing with him?

Back to the topic on hand, I read an update on CNN to this particular incident and it looks like the cop had every right to defend himself. The student was told to stop resisting 56 times and all of it was recorded by sound altough the video was not recorded. I still think 4-6 times to shoot was a bit much, but I was not there so I can't really determine how someone can still be a threat even after shot #4 considering he was not armed with a gun.
Adrenaline causes someone in a life threatening situation to unload a magazine in no time. At close quarters there's no time to shoot once and judge if it hit. When your life is in danger, you eliminate the danger. Period.

Try operating under distress. Your vision narrows, breathing quickens and your fast twitch muscles go nuts. The cop wasn't standing over a body yelling and shooting at him maniacally. Those shots all probably hit in very close proximity and all landed before the body hit the ground.

And if you shoot often, you'll know that to stand back and pick someone off at a distance when you're under duress is INCREDIBLY difficult. Even for a trained professional. And cops don't get to go to the range daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,311,940 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Very predictable response.
I think everyone saw that coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:47 PM
 
5,624 posts, read 6,415,941 times
Reputation: 3594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
I said, word for word;

"I challenge you to point out where I am factually wrong"


That is what I am saying. If you can, great. Lets discuss that. Just saying I am wrong doesnt help anyone.
I did not say you are wrong about anything in particular.

What I did say was that you are always present yourself as being correct, even when you are wrong. Now if you want to say that you are never "factually wrong", then you have just proven my earlier statement.

You have said many times, a police officer does not have to always be right (not that I agree with it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:47 PM
 
413 posts, read 652,578 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
You talk about nobody having evidence, but I'm fairly certain you don't either. For now, let's just see what comes out and THEN make our decisions.
There is some evidence out there.

The cop refused medical treatment because he said he was not injured. That completely conflicts with his other statement that the kid pinned him to the wall and began beating him in the head with his own metal baton.

So nothing yet that indicates anything except a normal guy being shot by a liar. If you have EVIDENCE otherwise, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:50 PM
 
5,624 posts, read 6,415,941 times
Reputation: 3594
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Adrenaline causes someone in a life threatening situation to unload a magazine in no time. At close quarters there's no time to shoot once and judge if it hit. When your life is in danger, you eliminate the danger. Period.

Try operating under distress. Your vision narrows, breathing quickens and your fast twitch muscles go nuts. The cop wasn't standing over a body yelling and shooting at him maniacally. Those shots all probably hit in very close proximity and all landed before the body hit the ground.

And if you shoot often, you'll know that to stand back and pick someone off at a distance when you're under duress is INCREDIBLY difficult. Even for a trained professional. And cops don't get to go to the range daily.
Those are some good points. As I said, I was not there but I can understand the situation better with your post above.

I would be afraid if someone came towards me with a baton and would fire at them like the officer did, but I doubt I am quick enough to fire six shots. It would be difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 03:35 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,311,940 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Those are some good points. As I said, I was not there but I can understand the situation better with your post above.

I would be afraid if someone came towards me with a baton and would fire at them like the officer did, but I doubt I am quick enough to fire six shots. It would be difficult.
You'd be surprised what adrenaline does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 03:49 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,311,940 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
There is some evidence out there.

The cop refused medical treatment because he said he was not injured. That completely conflicts with his other statement that the kid pinned him to the wall and began beating him in the head with his own metal baton.

So nothing yet that indicates anything except a normal guy being shot by a liar. If you have EVIDENCE otherwise, please share.
Last I checked, I wasn't the one blindly accusing without evidence. I believe every one of my posts says that we need to wait to decide.

Want to talk injuries? Again, you probably know nothing about fighting or the real world. Someone swings at me, I'm moving in and taking all the leverage away from them, meaning they'll get a hit in, but it won't do much.

Now, that's not due to their lack of malice. It's due to a good reaction. Should the cop have waited to get clocked in the head and THEN pull? Assuming that he wasn't dead or out?

Again, we need to WAIT to see what the evidence says. The only one assuming and making judgement was you.

Reality's nice, sometimes.

Last edited by kevcrawford; 12-13-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 04:03 PM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,187,633 times
Reputation: 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
I cant admit to that....because it would be a dangerous thing to do. Someone tries to assault me pretty much every week. I cant assume anything. You dont know anything about being a cop. This is cop 101 stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Why would anyone do that to you, Neshomamech?
I've mentioned before on C-D my brother is Houston PD; been with them over 20 years, and he is ALWAYS talking about this very same thing. At *least* every week! It's the nature of the beast, he says. It doesn't help that he works the SW side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top