U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-17-2014, 12:07 PM
 
5,624 posts, read 6,417,290 times
Reputation: 3594

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm sorry.....when did they appoint you to the jury?
The same can be said for those (you know who you are) that gripe and whine when some drunk driver gets off easy in their own opinion.

What that being said, I stated my own opinions and feelings on this. I feel that public deserves all of the information in regards to this incident. Don't like my opinion?, no skin off my nose.

Last edited by Azure110; 11-17-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,259 posts, read 9,001,779 times
Reputation: 6347
And after the trial, I'm fine with it. Until then, let's leave it to the jury, okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
 
5,624 posts, read 6,417,290 times
Reputation: 3594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
And after the trial, I'm fine with it. Until then, let's leave it to the jury, okay?
Whatever floats your boat sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 01:47 PM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,259 posts, read 9,001,779 times
Reputation: 6347
I hear you - after all, it's all about what you want to know and when you want to know it, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 03:21 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,363,165 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I feel that I have a right to know every detail that pertains to the incident only.

You may feel you have that right, and that is your opinion, but it doesn't mean you DO have that right.

The "public's right to know" must be balanced by many other issues. I'm not necessarily stating they should or should not release it, I don't intend to defend UIW police. But your opinion that you have such a right doesn't mean you are entitled to that information.


Parents of college students believe they have a right to their child's academic information, they may pay for their tuition so they demand that right. But they don't have it, no matter how much they believe they do.

A partner may believe they have a right to their spouse's health information, but they don't. (Even in the case of a communicable disease, they may be notified of potential exposure but not told who exposed them)

So, belief in a right doesn't mean it really exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 06:57 PM
 
874 posts, read 1,159,424 times
Reputation: 1060
I may be remiss in asking this, but how is it that a private, not public, institution like UiW can have a police force with LEOs as opposed to just having security guards? To take to the extreme, could ITT Tech have a police force? For UIW to have an actual police force seems like overkill, pun perhaps intended. Seems like private institutions want to overreach and not realize the responsibility that comes with the police force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,363,165 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
I may be remiss in asking this, but how is it that a private, not public, institution like UiW can have a police force with LEOs as opposed to just having security guards? To take to the extreme, could ITT Tech have a police force? For UIW to have an actual police force seems like overkill, pun perhaps intended. Seems like private institutions want to overreach and not realize the responsibility that comes with the police force.
All the universities with which I've been associated, public and private, have had a police force which requires a different level of skill and training than security guards. I don't know if it's overkill but seems fairly common.

The school districts have them too, FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 07:43 PM
 
874 posts, read 1,159,424 times
Reputation: 1060
Yep I knew the school districts had them but they are supported by our tax dollars. I just don't get the logic in a private institution being able to have a police force able to go so far afield as in the case of this incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 08:03 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,363,165 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Yep I knew the school districts had them but they are supported by our tax dollars. I just don't get the logic in a private institution being able to have a police force able to go so far afield as in the case of this incident.
He wasn't supposed to. It was out of his jurisdiction. But the story goes that AHPD got the wrong info, so didn't arrive in time. It makes some sense that a police officer can go outside their jurisdiction until the right guys come along if there's an issue of safety/crime.

There are MOUs/MOAs with various entities which allow for that. I don't know about police, but I do know with fire and health and emergency response they do this - not sure how a university fits into that, I have only seen it with cities. For example, if there's an emergency, COSA emergency response can respond to an event in Balcones Heights if their own are not available and vice versa.

In other universities where there's city property surrounding the university but it's really a university community (does that make sense - i.e. most of the people in that area are associated with the university even if it's not on campus), the uni police patrol that area in agreement with the city. UIW is different as it's on the border of two cities and a small campus that doesn't really have a "surrounding community" in the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 05:51 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,415,510 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Great Posts,

Chaka. Great Bologna slicers, the last couple posts and very elucidating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
He wasn't supposed to. It was out of his jurisdiction. But the story goes that AHPD got the wrong info, so didn't arrive in time. It makes some sense that a police officer can go outside their jurisdiction until the right guys come along if there's an issue of safety/crime.

There are MOUs/MOAs with various entities which allow for that. I don't know about police, but I do know with fire and health and emergency response they do this - not sure how a university fits into that, I have only seen it with cities. For example, if there's an emergency, COSA emergency response can respond to an event in Balcones Heights if their own are not available and vice versa.

In other universities where there's city property surrounding the university but it's really a university community (does that make sense - i.e. most of the people in that area are associated with the university even if it's not on campus), the uni police patrol that area in agreement with the city. UIW is different as it's on the border of two cities and a small campus that doesn't really have a "surrounding community" in the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top