U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 6,607 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to San Antonio and looking at a few neighborhoods. They include Dominion, Forest at Stone Oak and Sonoma Ranch. Our budget is up to $600k. Schools are very important to us as we have three young children.

We are open to other suggestions. Any feedback on these areas is greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 AM

3,750 posts, read 3,866,895 times
All areas are great for that budget and the schools are pretty much equal.

The Dominion is more isolated than the other two areas listed.

Have you tried looking in Alamo Heights? That budget can get a pretty nice house in one of the best school districts in the area.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:42 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,921 times
It really depends on what type of house you're looking for, yard, etc. Schools are pretty solid wherever you are in those areas. I've got clients in all three and all three swear that "their" school is the best.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM

309 posts, read 464,569 times
Have you looked at Boerne/Fair Oaks Ranch and the Boerne school district? While most of the custom home neighborhoods are above your price range, I would highly recommend you consider Deer Meadow Estates as something that would offer some options within your budget. It feeds into one of the best elementary schools in the San Antonio area, includes 1/2 to 1 acre lots, fully custom homes and lots of families with young children.

The other areas you mentioned are good as well, but the Boerne area offers an incredible lifestyle. If you are commuting to somewhere along I-10, this area wouldn't be much further (and maybe closer drive time than the Forest at Stone Oak) than your other options.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 AM

733 posts, read 867,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
All areas are great for that budget and the schools are pretty much equal.

The Dominion is more isolated than the other two areas listed.

Have you tried looking in Alamo Heights? That budget can get a pretty nice house in one of the best school districts in the area.
agreed. i saw some NICE houses in AH for a hair under 450k, well within your budget.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 PM

168 posts, read 300,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
Have you looked at Boerne/Fair Oaks Ranch and the Boerne school district? While most of the custom home neighborhoods are above your price range, I would highly recommend you consider Deer Meadow Estates as something that would offer some options within your budget. It feeds into one of the best elementary schools in the San Antonio area, includes 1/2 to 1 acre lots, fully custom homes and lots of families with young children.
Deer Meadow Estates is a great area. My cousin lives there and I just finished a three-month stay with him while getting settled in here. I loved the neighborhood, the homes, the people.

What I absolutely HATED was how isolated it is. One way in, one way out. It takes FOREVER to get anywhere. No such thing as a "quick trip" to the store. Takes 15-20 minutes just to get to the freeway. But if that's not an issue for the OP, it is a great community.

I do miss happy hour at Conroy's. Now that I'm in Alamo Ranch it's just too far to trek.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM

487 posts, read 980,839 times
Forest at SO, acre lots, borders a nature preserve or the new Panther Springs Park, new HEB speciality store opens soon, THE BEST schools, ce t airport ad eneryhing important!!!!
I've sold numerous homes there and would like to live there myself.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 6,607 times
Thanks for all the responses. We have considered Alamo Heights, it is very similar to the area we currently live and I think an area we would really like. But we are trying to get away from the older small expensive homes. We are looking to purchase a home between 3,000-4,000 sq ft. I've looked online at Alamo Heights and I think we would have to spend closer to $900k to get a newer home home with a pool. Part of our reason for relocating to SA is to get a more affordable home.

Thanks for the feedback. We are still open to other areas.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:33 AM

3,750 posts, read 3,866,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlskpls View Post
Thanks for all the responses. We have considered Alamo Heights, it is very similar to the area we currently live and I think an area we would really like. But we are trying to get away from the older small expensive homes. We are looking to purchase a home between 3,000-4,000 sq ft. I've looked online at Alamo Heights and I think we would have to spend closer to $900k to get a newer home home with a pool. Part of our reason for relocating to SA is to get a more affordable home.

Thanks for the feedback. We are still open to other areas.
Have you looked at Deerfield off of Blanco? You are close to Stone Oak with less traffic.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM

15 posts, read 23,209 times
All 3 are nice neighborhoods, and you can't go wrong with elementary and middle schools in any of them. You may want to think about the high schools that the neighborhoods feed into, though. The Dominion does not feed into the best public HS. Don't get me wrong, it is good, but it does have quite a few low income neighborhoods that go to it. Sonoma Ranch feeds into Brandeis, which is new and is a great school with great athletics. Stone Oak feeds into Reagan which is known for being a stellar school- great academics, many affluent neighborhoods (mixed with middle income neighborhoods), and a great athletics program.
I lived in Sonoma Ranch and loved it, but now live in the Stone Oak area and love that too.
You may want to think about the HOA fees in the neighborhoods too. The Dominion has the priciest HOA fee. There are so many neighborhoods that would fit your price range too! Greystone, Cavalo Creek, Deerfield, Fossil Creek, Cibolo Canyons, Shavano Park area, just to name a few!
Check out makesanantoniohome.com, you can get a comprehensive list of all homes for sale updated in real time by the MLS system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio