U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 AM

6 posts, read 12,420 times

Advertisements

So i just moved here early this year and will be getting the inspection this week on my car, And i was looking at the list of items that are inspected and i noticed window tint was one of them.

Now my question is how in the hell are people getting past the inspection with these extreme window tints such at 10%,5% etc. AKA REALLY dark tint.

Do they really not care about it that much or what? Because i constantly see people with beyond the legal limit window tint here constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 AM

37,624 posts, read 55,299,463 times
The inspectors have a measurement gadget that will tell exactly if the tint is passable or not.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:33 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,660,686 times
Go to the west/south/east side, have a twenty paper clipped to the front of your insurance when you leave it on the dash. Or they know somebody that will just pass them. The "safety" inspection here, is a joke and nothing more then a cash grab for the county/state

Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 AM

302 posts, read 556,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummi View Post
So i just moved here early this year and will be getting the inspection this week on my car, And i was looking at the list of items that are inspected and i noticed window tint was one of them.

Now my question is how in the hell are people getting past the inspection with these extreme window tints such at 10%,5% etc. AKA REALLY dark tint.

Do they really not care about it that much or what? Because i constantly see people with beyond the legal limit window tint here constantly.

The tint light transmission is only measured on the front driver and passenger side windows.
Any other window on the vehicle can have tint as dark as the owner likes. (Windshield cannot have tint below the AS1 indicator) Have a closer look at those really dark tint jobs and on most (granted, not all, that's you... lawbreakers!) will have lighter and legal tint on the front windows.

Please do not try to bribe the inspector as suggested by some here. That's absolutely ridiculous. Safety inspections are in place for a reason... public safety! The fine levied to the establishment and/or inspector for violations is not worth the risk to them. Texas DPS will suspend/revoke licensing and loss of income can result. I'd laugh in your face and tell you to get the hell out of my shop if you show up on my watch trying that crap. And beyond the inspection bay, you still risk a police issued ticket for your illegal tint.

FWIW, I have been personally reprimanded by an undercover DPS agent who was observing from the parking lot. My offense: Not measuring the window tint transmission with the approved device. I observed the decal only, but alas that is not proper procedure.

Yes, DPS will intermittently "test" the inspectors to make sure they are doing thier job correct. Your attempted bribe will only throw a huge red flag and then your vehicle will really be scrutinized as per procedure, and FAILED. Hey, you wouldnt be trying to bribe if you were legal, right?

Proper procedure if vehicle fails to pass safety requirements is to put an "X" on the current (or expired) inspection sticker and the owner has 10 days to make corrections with no additional charges towards the new inspection sticker. The "X" is to throw a red flag to the next shop should the owner try to go down the road and pull one over on the next shop.

Simply, if you maintain your vehicle to the safety standards, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,083,209 times
Tint may also look darker than it appears. Legal limit in Texas is 35% on the doors and 5% on the back. My car is legal and you cant see a thing from outside because of the black interior.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 PM

28 posts, read 43,948 times
Me007gold is right...just ask around and somebody always knows of a place that will pass you no matter what.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:21 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,095,805 times
But understand that with illegal tint, you can still be cited for it regardless as to whether your vehicle has a current inspection or not.

The SAPD carries the same tint testing devices that the inspection stations use.

It won't come back to the inspection station, it will come back to you! They can always claim that you had legal tint on the vehicle when it was inspected, but you replaced it afterward. You, however, are driving a car with illegal tint and that is easily proved.

But as to why you are still seeing illegal tint, many people decide to risk running outdated inspections all the time, or they do something illegal as some on here have suggested (attempting to bribe someone to do something illegal could bring criminal charges on yourself!). If you feel it's worth the risk, then go ahead; but don't complain when some law enforcement officer does his/her job and issues you a citation for something you knew was illegal!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,898,793 times
I recently bought a car from another state and took it to one of those little tiny inspection joints before I could register the car in TX. The attendant checked the tint immediately and told me he couldn't pass it but wouldn't charge me. There was no way in hell I was going to remove the damn window tint and then turn around and pay $200+ to tint the front windows again only a tad lighter. I went to another oil/lube place, rolled in with my windows down and left about 20 minutes later with a clean inspection.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:37 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,625,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I recently bought a car from another state and took it to one of those little tiny inspection joints before I could register the car in TX. The attendant checked the tint immediately and told me he couldn't pass it but wouldn't charge me. There was no way in hell I was going to remove the damn window tint and then turn around and pay $200+ to tint the front windows again only a tad lighter. I went to another oil/lube place, rolled in with my windows down and left about 20 minutes later with a clean inspection.
Good job, mate. And are you a rolling threat to human life? Something tells me "no". There really should be more common sense when it comes to things like tint. We're in Texas, for Pete's sake!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:52 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,171,720 times
I suspect the restrictions on tint aren't for the safety of the drivers, but for the safety of LEOs. If they can't easily see inside it's difficult for them to tell if there is danger inside. Something even as simple as how many people are in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio