U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:06 PM

152 posts, read 173,261 times

Advertisements

TrapperL, thanks for the advice. I'm not even saying I'll move. I was thinking it was possible San Antonio could just be a better place to be. Of course, I would want to make sure my husband had a job first. I would not just jump and run.
I appreciate your insight specifically with what he does. So, they don't need much in the way of civil design/Cad Management there? Good to know if that is the case.

Austin is a fine place to be (except for COL and traffic), I'm just not sure if we'll stick around for long term because it is also a very expensive place to be. I guess we'll just hang in there for now and see what comes along. I'm still happy to see any more opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:36 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,437,322 times
Since when did the OP state they were going to move to SA without her husband securing a job? Home prices and rent are definitely less expensive then Austin. Unless you think living out in Georgetown or Buda is Austin.

The OP's husband is the kind of person the city is trying to attract. Shouldn't be very difficult for him to find a good job.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:42 PM

Thanks TXEX06. Yeah, Georgetown and Buda are way out there and yeah they are cheaper, but who wants to travel an hour+ to work each day?

Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,548,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Traffic is not nearly as bad in San Antonio compared to Austin. San Antonio has a few bad congestion spots (281 past 1604, 35 and 1604, 1604 out by Potranco), see a pattern. Austin is congested everywhere and and their rush hour times last a lot longer.
Didn't say anything about Austin. Only stating that ours is getting worse, not better.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:24 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,437,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Didn't say anything about Austin. Only stating that ours is getting worse, not better.
True. But, Austin's current traffic congestion is much worse then ours and is getting more congested at a faster rate then ours also. Austin's infrastructure is horrible, her traffic concerns and commute times would lessen greatly in SA compared to Austin.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:53 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,548,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
True. But, Austin's current traffic congestion is much worse then ours and is getting more congested at a faster rate then ours also. Austin's infrastructure is horrible, her traffic concerns and commute times would lessen greatly in SA compared to Austin.
I don't think anyone is debating that. Just telling them not to expect utopia, because it's only getting worse here too.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:34 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,362,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
I don't think anyone is debating that. Just telling them not to expect utopia, because it's only getting worse here too.
And my guess is that given their inclinations, they're not likely to want to live anywhere near downtown, where the husband is likely to work if it's with the city (there are other possibilities, but most are near downtown). And while not as bad as commuting from Georgetown or Buda to center Austin, there's still going to be a long sit on the highway going from the Alamo Ranches of SA to downtown. Better, but not great.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:50 PM

Don't worry, I don't expect a Utopia. There's no such thing. I was just hoping to find a more reasonable COL. And slightly better traffic is a bonus.

I would prefer one of the nicer suburbs but, could settle for mid-range neighborhood as long as it was safe. So, if there were a spot with mediocre schools, but it was pretty safe and not horribly loud or ugly that was a bit closer to work, that would be fine. Schools don't matter much to me, since I homeschool and don't intend to use the schools for any purpose, but I noticed that the worse the school sometimes equals the worse the neighborhood. I prefer a 30-40(or less) minute commute if possible.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 AM

Are those with allergies any happier in San Antonio than Austin? Right now I feel like I have a cold because of my allergies. It's annoying, but not unbearable. Just curious. I do alright with my homeopathic allergy med.

Last edited by Danimarie; 12-22-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 AM

367 posts, read 439,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
Are those with allergies any happier in San Antonio than Austin? Right now I feel like I have a cold because of my allergies. It's annoying, but not unbearable. Just curious. I do alright with my homeopathic allergy med.
Central Texas in general is bad for allergies. Austin and SA usually fight it out for the worst in the nation spots, so no significant difference there. For me, it's easier to name the people I know that don't suffer from allergies most of the year.

Best of luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or