U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:46 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,522,102 times

Advertisements

It all depends on what your family priorities and personal taste are. I grew up in San Antonio but moved to Austin as fast as I could. Better career advancement opportunities and salary for my field. Also, I like the culture in Austin a lot better.

The advantages San Antonio has over Austin: lower cost of living (but it's rising too, it's growing very fast in population like Austin), better Tex-Mex, a more historical downtown, traffic not as bad (but it's no cakewalk either)

Advantages of Austin over San Antonio: Better schools overall (city schools are way better and suburbs are comparable/slightly better performing than San Antonio's), higher wages, more higher paying job opportunities, one of the fittest cities in the country (whereas SA has a very high obesity rate), beautiful city parks and very extensive (and constantly improving) hike and bike trail system, much cleaner city -- most of San Antonio is run-down and there are lots of dilapidated neighborhoods, much better food scene, better mass transit (city is working on improving it), great music scene, nationally renowned events throughout the year (SXSW, ACL Music fest, Formula 1 racing, Republic of TX Biker Rally, and now X Games) etc.

Last edited by LiveUrban; 12-24-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:49 PM

3,728 posts, read 3,829,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
It all depends on what your family priorities are and personal taste. I grew up in San Antonio but moved to Austin as fast as I could. Better career advancement opportunities and salary for my field.

The advantages San Antonio has over Austin: lower cost of living (but it's rising too, it's growing very fast in population like Austin), better Tex-Mex, a more historical downtown.

Advantages of Austin over San Antonio: Better schools overall (city schools are way better and suburbs are comparable/slightly better performing than San Antonio's), higher wages, more higher paying job opportunities, one of the fittest cities in the country (whereas SA has a very high obesity rate), beautiful city parks and very extensive (and constantly improving) hike and bike trail system, much cleaner city -- most of San Antonio is very run-down, much better food scene, etc
The cities look the same in this aspect. Austin has more hills where more people live but its has large sections that look run down just like San Antonio.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:56 PM

425 posts, read 512,352 times
I think you already did the proper research and answered your own question at the start of this thread. But to add my own opinion, I think SA is the most ideal for you and your family.
As you probably already researched, SA is probably one of the best Texas cities to raise a family. Lots of family oriented things to do around here.
It sounds like you prefer the suburbs. You get more house (and newer) for your money the further you live from downtown. Plenty of beautiful houses in the suburbs outside city limits.
Like others said, the traffic is not bad here. When I say not bad, out of all the big cities, SA has the least traffic. No tolls and easy to get around. I'm still amazed Austin still only has like 1 major freeway for a city its size. With that said, I chuckled when TrapperL said Civil Engineer jobs are very limited here. For one, as I'm driving down the road with the amount of construction always going on around this city, I always imagine the vast amount of civil engineers TxDOT must have to do all of this, more than Austin I would think.
I always tell people this, just because you hear the one city you prefer may not have more jobs in your field than the other city certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't try. So hopefully your husband is already searching here and lands something so your family can enjoy the low housing costs.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The cities look the same in this aspect. Austin has more hills where more people live but its has large sections that look run down just like San Antonio.
There are only two main pockets in Austin that come even close to looking as rundown as much of San Antonio and that's East Riverside and the Rundberg area and even those are rapidly gentrifying. More people take care of their homes in Austin.. possibly because they have more money. Home prices within the city of Austin are much more expensive than San Antonio. More strict homeowners associations.

There's also a culture that more strongly looks down on littering. There are lots of environmental protection organizations and volunteer clean-up groups.

I love my hometown but let's be honest. Giant portions of the Eastside, Westside, and Southside are dilapidated. A ton of people leave stuff all over their front yards and allow the paint on their houses to peel and their roofs to leak

Last edited by LiveUrban; 12-24-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
There are only two main pockets in Austin that come even close to looking as rundown as much of San Antonio and that's East Riverside and the Rundberg area and even those are rapidly gentrifying. More people take care of their homes in Austin.. possibly because they have more money. Home prices within the city of Austin are much more expensive than San Antonio. More strict homeowners associations.

There's also a culture that more strongly looks down on littering and there are lots of environmental organizations.

I love my hometown but I'm being honest. Giant portions of the Eastside, Westside, and Southside are dilapidated. People leave stuff all over their front yards and allow the paint on their houses to peel
Hehe, funny how you say strict HOAs as if that's a good thing. It may be for you. Obviously your city preferences are completely different than the thread starter.
What you're saying about run down is pretty subjective. But with that said, SA is a much larger city; it will have it's bad parts and good parts like any other city.

Also, there is a large number of conservationists in SA. It's part of why the city has a hard time building a road or a building sometimes. I won't argue SA as a whole not being as clean, but let's not analyze one part of a city and then try to represent that as the whole pie.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
Hehe, funny how you say strict HOAs as if that's a good thing. It may be for you. Obviously your city preferences are completely different than the thread starter.
What you're saying about run down is pretty subjective. But with that said, SA is a much larger city; it will have it's bad parts and good parts like any other city.

Also, there is a large number of conservationists in SA. It's part of why the city has a hard time building a road or a building sometimes.

I agree, I honestly think San Antonio would be a better fit for them since they are more concerned about cost of living. San Antonio also seems to have more conservative "family values" even though it largely votes Democrat like Austin.

And yeah it might be subjective but it's a fact that Austin is a very gentrified city and is being scrubbed clean. Housing is so expensive there that much of the poor have been pushed out. There's big controversy about it in Austin right now.. the last remaining affordable areas are being bulldozed for "luxury apartments".

It's no surprise that the people who can afford to live in Austin keep their neighborhoods clean.. they have the money to constantly maintain their homes.

When I talk about San Antonio/Austin, I'm mainly talking about the inner city areas. The suburbs of both are practically the same

Old 12-24-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I agree, I honestly think San Antonio would be a better fit for them since they are more concerned about cost of living. San Antonio also seems to have more conservative "family values" even though it largely votes Democrat like Austin.

And yeah it might be subjective but it's a fact that Austin is a very gentrified city and is being scrubbed clean. Housing is so expensive there that much of the poor have been pushed out. There's big controversy about it in Austin right now.. the last remaining affordable areas are being bulldozed for "luxury apartments".

It's no surprise that the people who can afford to live in Austin keep their neighborhoods clean.. they have the money to constantly maintain their homes.

When I talk about San Antonio/Austin, I'm mainly talking about the inner city areas. The suburbs of both are practically the same
You are right. It's been slowly turning more democratic but SA people are simple and conservative in their ways.
In regards to the poor or people with wages below 30k/yr here, there is more of that here yes. The city is fairly segregated though depending on your income. The thread starter should be looking at living in the northside, not the east side.
I'm sure you already know this but SA downtown is going through a phase where they are pushing to make it more like Austin I guess you could say.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,348,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
I'm sure you already know this but SA downtown is going through a phase where they are pushing to make it more like Austin I guess you could say.

eh, San Antonio is trying to revitalize it's downtown, like most cities in the US are doing, some more successful than others. I don't really see an attempt to be more like Austin. It's downtown/city centre is very different from Austin, for better or worse.

I think the OP is probably more suited to the suburbs anyway, and the 'burbs of Austin and the 'burbs of SA are essentially the same (as they are in pretty much anywhere in the US). SA is possibly slightly less expensive than Austin with slightly less traffic, but the difference is minimal, IMO.

I live in the inner city, and as much as I love it, I'd agree that many areas are still run-down. That's changing, but it's not totally revitalized yet.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 77,971 times
You couldn't pay me to live in Austin AGAIN! It is so overrated and the people are so pretentious that it makes me sick. San Antonio has more diversity than Austin and the job opportunities are as plenty. Austin is so far overcrowded with self-indulgent wannabe's that it's become a mini-Dallas. The traffic is a nightmare! The city water smells like fish! The homes are overpriced! In other words, Austin is becoming a ragged-out pageant show!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:31 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,085,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Traffic is not nearly as bad in San Antonio compared to Austin. San Antonio has a few bad congestion spots (281 past 1604, 35 and 1604, 1604 out by Potranco), see a pattern. Austin is congested everywhere and and their rush hour times last a lot longer.
Agreed, Austinites drive like Californians; which is they have no regard for anyone else on the road besides themselves.

At least in San Antonio it's predictable mayhem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or