U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:46 AM

98 posts, read 115,117 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate from Minneapolis to San Antonio with our two kids 8 years old and 3 years old. He will be attending University of Texas San Antonio, finishing up his last few science classes before applying to medical school. We chose San Antonio because the cost of living is cheaper, my son can continue his spanish immersion program in school. Both my husband and son who are fluent in spanish will have great opportunities in the future. The weather is much better in San Antonio in January than Minneapolis which is -12F right now. The diversity is great in San Antonio. My husband's grandparents are from Spain and migrated to the south of the U.S., I am African American. My question to all of you friendly San Antonio residents is how are the social dynamics in the city? Are people really segregated or is it normal to find interracial couples? It seems very diverse and friendly in my opinion. Are the communities pretty close knit? Is it easy for outsiders that are social to fit in? What are some family friendly communities to live in? I work from home so my job will transfer no problem. We would like to join organizations and groups in the community to meet other families and really be apart of the community, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM

6,997 posts, read 10,215,994 times
It's very common to see interracial couples that are white and Hispanic. I also often see black men with white and Hispanic women. I rarely see black women with non-black men, but that can be said for most of the country. San Antonio is over 60% Hispanic with over 90% of the Hispanics being of Mexican descent. The metro area I think is more like 50% Hispanic. The percentage of black people here is significantly lower than statewide and nationwide. There aren't very many Asians.

The area inside Loop 410, with the exception of a few small areas, is overwhelmingly Hispanic. I went to four schools inside 410 that were 85-95% Hispanic. Another elementary school I went to used to be diverse, but it is now over 81% Hispanic. White people and Hispanic people are pretty integrated outside of 410 until you get outside of Loop 1604 where white people become the majority. Most black people in San Antonio live around and east of IH-35. The most diverse areas of San Antonio are the far west side, pockets of the northwest side, southeast side, and northeast side. Most Asians in San Antonio live on the northeast side, and there are a pretty good number of Asians near the Medical Center. San Antonio is very economically segregated.

San Antonio is used to having people move in from other parts of the country. We're Military City, USA. I just advise you not to move to the south side where the students at the schools can be quite unfriendly to non-Hispanic peers.

Last edited by L210; 12-24-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Thank you so much for all the great statistics and advice you have helped tremendously!!!!

Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,541,547 times
Diverse? Did someone say diverse? Not here. Not IMHO.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,888,675 times
Having spent 17 months on a work assignment in Minneapolis in 2007/08, I can say you are really going to miss the late Spring and Summer, but beyond that, say goodbye to the BRUTAL Winter/Fall!!!

Old 12-24-2013, 03:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,072,486 times
San Antonio is not where you would be looking for diversity and friendly. I did live in Minneapolis for a work assignment and there was far more diversity and friendly than I ever saw here.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:53 PM

To you all that said San Antonio is not very diverse, is it because the majority is hispanic? There are not many other races beyond hispanic?

Old 12-24-2013, 05:42 PM

6,997 posts, read 10,215,994 times
It's all subjective and neighborhoods vary. I would personally prefer more ethnic diversity, but others think San Antonio is diverse enough.

San Antonio
Hispanic - 63.2%
White - 26.6%
Black - 6.9%
Asian - 2.4%
San Antonio (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Bexar County
Hispanic - 59.1%
White - 29.8%
Black - 8.1%
Asian - 2.7%
Bexar County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Winter is nice here, but it is really hot during the summer. Our summer is long. I think San Antonians are friendly enough as long as they are not driving, but I haven't lived anywhere else to compare. You also have to keep in mind that a lot of people here are not native to the area, so they bring their cultures of friendliness or unfriendliness with them.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 PM

40 posts, read 77,961 times
I lived in Minneapolis for five years and I would say that San Antonio has far more ethnic diversity than Minneapolis. I definitely find the people of San Antonio are also friendlier as well, despite what someone else mentioned earlier.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:09 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,072,486 times
Just wait until you get on the roads here in San Antonio, you will see how incredibly unfriendly drivers here are. As for diversity, everyone has different definitions of diversity, if diversity means a lot of Hispanics and some Caucasians to you, then it's "diverse" here to you. Also I am concerned about the OP wondering if this city has close knit communities, you know what, in large cities that isn't possible to achieve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio