U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 06:19 AM

14 posts, read 13,885 times

Advertisements

I did a search, but the threads that came up were a few years old and I'm looking for some current info on home inspectors. I am building a house on the west side, and I need some recommendations on good quality home inspectors. I appreciate your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,669,921 times
I used Rod Inspects when I bought my last home. I have no complaints.

http://www.rodinspects.com/

Old 12-26-2013, 07:28 AM

437 posts, read 776,221 times
There's a list of inspectors on my website, but I'm not allowed to post a link here. I'm sending you a DM.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:20 AM

gold and hurgot thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
Izzymith, there is a major difference between inspection existing homes and new construction. The guys doing existing homes never see any of the construction covered by sheetrock. Frankly, most home inspectors are not qualified to inspect new construction. Unless they have a previous history of building homes, they're clueless. So any that you interview, make sure they've built houses in some volume before hiring the guy. I know of one in San Antonio that has that history of having built many homes here. That's Joe Keresztury. Joe has several degrees and licenses in the construction field and even represents in the Courts for houses in litigation. You won't find many with this expertise in the Yellow Pages, if any at all.
Joe Keresztury, Home Inspector - ActiveRain.com

Old 12-26-2013, 11:56 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,433,607 times
We used Rod Dunn in the last few months during the various phases of new construction of our home. Been happy with his thorough reports.

San Antonio Home Inspector - Inspector Clouseau Home Inspections

Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 PM

trapper thanks for the heads up.....hadley appreciate your help. I'll definetly be looking into these

Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Izzymith, there is a major difference between inspection existing homes and new construction. The guys doing existing homes never see any of the construction covered by sheetrock. Frankly, most home inspectors are not qualified to inspect new construction. Unless they have a previous history of building homes, they're clueless. So any that you interview, make sure they've built houses in some volume before hiring the guy. I know of one in San Antonio that has that history of having built many homes here. That's Joe Keresztury. Joe has several degrees and licenses in the construction field and even represents in the Courts for houses in litigation. You won't find many with this expertise in the Yellow Pages, if any at all.
Joe Keresztury, Home Inspector - ActiveRain.com
While I agree with the fact that inspecting a home under construction and a finished home are completely different, I disagree strongly with the rest of the post. STRONGLY.

I've got a couple go-to guys that I recommend to my clients and they know construction better than most builders. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they know more about building than most builders. There are only a few guys in town I'd hire to build my personal home.

If you'd like some names, feel free to DM me.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
Kev, yer always welcome to disagree and we can still love each other. But when you consider that in Bexar County there are several hundred licensed inspectors in the county and you have a couple that you think are good, that's a pretty small percentage of licensed inspector that even you think have a clue. My recommend of Joe is because if your inspectors attended any of the FHA Code Compliance seminars, they were either proctored by Jim Whitelin or Joe Keresztury. Of all of the inspectors in Bexar County, he's going to be the most knowledgeable as he teaches it.
In regards to builders, we all know builders are money managers. Few of the top brass in the office have a clue about construction, they depend on the subs for the field expertise. This is far from a secret. But of those that get independent inspections on their homes, most will use an engineering firm as the cost is close to the same. But like you, there are very few builders that I would let build a house for me. And I have family in the business that will never see a job on my place. The days of the actual owner/builder running a hammer or nail gun is extremely rare and of those doing it, few are building in the price range within the average wallet.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,948 times
Is there an inspector anyone can recommend that specializes in older homes? (Tobin Hill, Mahncke Park homes from 1920s-1930s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio