U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
6 posts, read 7,182 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I will be moving to San Antonio next year.

Please tell me about the good, bad, happy or sad experiences you've had there whether you grew up there, or moved there, or visited.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 AM
 
Location: San 'Tone
302 posts, read 566,169 times
Reputation: 347
Could tell you thousands of those good, bad, happy and sad experiences I've been privy to over the course of three decades of living here, but as each is to their own perceptions and opinions, I'd suggest you have a visit and make some judgements for yourself. I see you're coming from Hawaii, it's going to be a different experience entirely.

I'll have to assume San Antonio's reputation as a "nice place to live" has some bearing on your decision. It's a well deserved reputation, or at least was at a time, but I am starting to feel said reputation still bears weight increasingly disproportionate by what San Antonio offers in actuality.

The massive influx of new population, traffic beyond the capacity of many roads, ever aggrandizing onslaught of interchangeable chain retail stores, and over saturation of ersat comestible purveyors has siginificantly atrophied the charm that San Antonio once offered in abundance. Bring forth the graffiti laden billboards, for gone are the starry nights!

It's another big city. With all of the big city issues. Tumult and ambient cacophony have impacted the tranquility and laid back nature that San Antonians used to relish. Used to be the only rascals in the night were armadillos and coyotes. Now we have regualar instances of small hour fatality inducing drunk drivers and nearly everynight a fatal shooting. Throw in the other assorted miscreants and various malfeasance for good measure.

I'm sure this perspective will be unpopular with some on this board, but I do feel it is, quite unfortunately, increasingly realistic. I don't hate it here, but I can't honestly say I truly love it like I once did. The city has changed and continues to do so.

To be fair, San Antonio does have a great deal of attributes to offer still and even has a lot of nice improvements we've never had before such as the River Walk expansion, more city parks and greenbelts, paddling trail, university growth, etc.

Best to come see for yourself and decide if it's a good fit. It may be difficult to cull out even a slice of that utopia you're currently fortunate enought to appreciate. Spend some time adjusting to the experience before making a final decision.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2013, 09:27 PM
 
1,004 posts, read 1,184,743 times
Reputation: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyKiyomi View Post
I will be moving to San Antonio next year.

Please tell me about the good, bad, happy or sad experiences you've had there whether you grew up there, or moved there, or visited.
Looks like since the last time , you now have decided to move here. Congratulations !
If you check City-Data San Antonio . There are many subjects that the folks of San Antonio
have shared. Take a cruise...from the beautiful photography , jobs, neighborhoods, schools,
shopping , food & music and much more. It will provide you with much insight & will further
help you to better understand & know San Antonio. Bienvenido ...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,890 times
Reputation: 17
Mexicans Mexicans Mexicans!!!!! the appearance of an ethnic diverse city on outside with a true racist agenda. Hope Your not blk if so. I hope you are military or educated in medical field. If not good luck finding a job. Sanchez Ramirez and other Mexicans will hold the fate of your job opportunity.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
6 posts, read 7,182 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by black2ten View Post
Mexicans Mexicans Mexicans!!!!! the appearance of an ethnic diverse city on outside with a true racist agenda. Hope Your not blk if so. I hope you are military or educated in medical field. If not good luck finding a job. Sanchez Ramirez and other Mexicans will hold the fate of your job opportunity.


Oh my... I hope that isn't the case, I've been told good things about San Antonio. I'll be in Fort Sam Houston specifically...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
6 posts, read 7,182 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
Could tell you thousands of those good, bad, happy and sad experiences I've been privy to over the course of three decades of living here, but as each is to their own perceptions and opinions, I'd suggest you have a visit and make some judgements for yourself. I see you're coming from Hawaii, it's going to be a different experience entirely.

I'll have to assume San Antonio's reputation as a "nice place to live" has some bearing on your decision. It's a well deserved reputation, or at least was at a time, but I am starting to feel said reputation still bears weight increasingly disproportionate by what San Antonio offers in actuality.

The massive influx of new population, traffic beyond the capacity of many roads, ever aggrandizing onslaught of interchangeable chain retail stores, and over saturation of ersat comestible purveyors has siginificantly atrophied the charm that San Antonio once offered in abundance. Bring forth the graffiti laden billboards, for gone are the starry nights!

It's another big city. With all of the big city issues. Tumult and ambient cacophony have impacted the tranquility and laid back nature that San Antonians used to relish. Used to be the only rascals in the night were armadillos and coyotes. Now we have regualar instances of small hour fatality inducing drunk drivers and nearly everynight a fatal shooting. Throw in the other assorted miscreants and various malfeasance for good measure.

I'm sure this perspective will be unpopular with some on this board, but I do feel it is, quite unfortunately, increasingly realistic. I don't hate it here, but I can't honestly say I truly love it like I once did. The city has changed and continues to do so.

To be fair, San Antonio does have a great deal of attributes to offer still and even has a lot of nice improvements we've never had before such as the River Walk expansion, more city parks and greenbelts, paddling trail, university growth, etc.

Best to come see for yourself and decide if it's a good fit. It may be difficult to cull out even a slice of that utopia you're currently fortunate enought to appreciate. Spend some time adjusting to the experience before making a final decision.


That was quite, insightful. A lot of people have told me to visit before making a decision. However, I can't necessarily afford to do so, nor can I afford to continue living in this "Utopia". I either do or don't. Hence, why I'm asking for personal experiences.
It'll definitely be a change, no doubt.
Thank you for the advice.

Safety was actually one of my main concerns. Hawaii is a relatively safe place to live with somewhat low crime rates. That's definitely an eye opener.
Thanks again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Brentwood
818 posts, read 986,714 times
Reputation: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by black2ten View Post
Mexicans Mexicans Mexicans!!!!! the appearance of an ethnic diverse city on outside with a true racist agenda. Hope Your not blk if so. I hope you are military or educated in medical field. If not good luck finding a job. Sanchez Ramirez and other Mexicans will hold the fate of your job opportunity.
This is absolutely the truth but the discrimination isn't limited to just black people. If you're not hispanic, you're a target. There are many here that are going to dispute the rampant racism and question the integrity of the MANY people that will agree that it's a problem. Of course 70% of the population won't see it as a problem. This topic comes up here often, that should tell you something about the validity of the complaint.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 PM
 
Location: South Texas
810 posts, read 1,250,388 times
Reputation: 466
You should also know that SA is a big city with a small town mentality. Locals are resistant to "change" here and are often satisfied with mediocrity. Of course that is not the case for everyone here but certainly a good amount. SA is "changing" slowly but compared to other big cities, SA is still decades behind.

You will get some folks here telling you to ignore any "negative" comments or opinions about SA and only see things from their perspectives. It will be wise for you to visit before making your decision to move.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 PM
 
5,632 posts, read 6,453,917 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
You should also know that SA is a big city with a small town mentality. Locals are resistant to "change" here and are often satisfied with mediocrity. Of course that is not the case for everyone here but certainly a good amount. SA is "changing" slowly but compared to other big cities, SA is still decades behind.

You will get some folks here telling you to ignore any "negative" comments or opinions about SA and only see things from their perspectives. It will be wise for you to visit before making your decision to move.
It isn't that negative posts about San Antonio should be ignored but those who post almost nothing but negative posts about San Antonio should be ignored. Just my opinion. It couldn't hurt to see the good in San Antonio once in awhile or just move to a place where you are happier like the OP is thinking of doing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,260 posts, read 4,955,892 times
Reputation: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
This is absolutely the truth but the discrimination isn't limited to just black people. If you're not hispanic, you're a target. There are many here that are going to dispute the rampant racism and question the integrity of the MANY people that will agree that it's a problem. Of course 70% of the population won't see it as a problem. This topic comes up here often, that should tell you something about the validity of the complaint.
I'd be interested to hear some specific examples of what you've experienced as a white person. I am also white and I haven't had negative experiences.

I obviously can't speak to the African American perspective, other than to say the African American population is VERY small here in San Antonio, and that experiences of racism would not surprise me, any more than it would surprise me anywhere - sad to say.

That said, I'm also a transplant. I grew up in Illinois and lived most of my adult years in St. Louis before moving here in my 30s. I've been here 16 and a half years, and really enjoy it overall. I like that there's something fun going on almost every weekend, and I've met really amazing friends here. I also love the lack of winter, and Fiesta is my favorite thing in the world!

Good luck on this decision - it's a big one!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top