Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:50 AM

98 posts, read 142,867 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get a feel for what to expect in San Antonio. I know every place has there popular big activities that are unique to there area. In MN it's going up north to cabins, fishing, camping, ice fishing, polar bear plunge, marathons, breweries, and football. What is it in San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html has a lot of info about activities. We have fishing, camping, marathons, breweries (more wine, honestly though) and football as well.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html has a lot of info about activities. We have fishing, camping, marathons, breweries (more wine, honestly though) and football as well.

Thank you for the tip ashbeeigh, I will definitely check that out. I am hoping to find NEW things though, I don't want a southern version of Minnesota. I am sick of the same old activities here. I am excited for new, so I will check that out!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 AM

I looked at that link and it was simply an index. I could read about San Antonio all day if I wanted to but I wanted to hear from locals what they like to do or what they think the big activities are.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashea18 View Post
I looked at that link and it was simply an index. I could read about San Antonio all day if I wanted to but I wanted to hear from locals what they like to do or what they think the big activities are.
Well, that list was made my locals and they will most likely point you to the same activities, just a thought.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 AM

Thank you ashbeeigh

Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
My husband and I aren't amusement park people AT ALL, so we stay far away from Sea World and Fiesta Texas. We love all the local shops, festivals, markets, museums, and Cool Crest miniature golf. San Antonio also has its fair share of wonderful locally owned restaurants in all price ranges and family friendliness levels. Additionally, there is a minor league baseball team which provides us with hours of cheap entertainment all summer.

There are tons of things to do here - it just depends on what you like. The Friday Weekender section of the newspaper will help you get a bead on what's going on on any given weekend.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashea18 View Post
San Antonio is home to 5 of the top 10 most-visited tourist attractions in Texas: The Alamo, The River Walk, The Missions National Park, Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. In other words, tourism is a big deal here. It took me 10 years to cross all of those off of my list, since I'm not a big amusement park guy and I held out until I got free tickets to the amusement parks.

What the biggest activities are beyond that list depends on what interests you. Dining out is a big deal here, as there are thousands of restaurants in dozens of categories to choose from. Live music is a popular pastime, although San Antonio doesn't necessarily get visited by the major national acts when they are on tour. There are also museums and libraries and walking/biking trails.

What do you want to know more about?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
First Friday, Second Saturday, and assorted other days' Artwalks
Art galleries & art museums
Cycling and walking along the Mission Reach
Hanging out at the Pearl for food or concerts or farmer's market
Hanging out at any one of the SOuthtown eateries/pubs
Taking the kids to Landa Library or the zoo
Chalk it Up! In October
Cow parade in Jan/Feb to open the rodeo but we never go to the rodeo
Christmas Tree lighting events and this year, pop up shops along Houston St
Assorted races
Kayak/canoe race
King William Regatta
Cocktail Conference
Siclovia a few times per year
Witte Museum & assorted related events
Assorted downtown parades
Luminaria
Climbing to the top of the Tower of the Americas

and on and on....most of this we can do without ever having to get into our cars, with a few exceptions

Old 12-30-2013, 06:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
We have marathons and micro breweries which are universal to many cities.

In San Antonio we drive down to the coast (Corpus or Port A) and others go camping out at nearby state parks. We have several lakes as well which are popular especially Medina and Canyon lakes.

The locals look for any reason to celebrate and have events especially the annual Fiesta.

We also have hike and bike trails throughout our city. The Mission Reach allows kayaking.

There is much more but this list attempts to recreate the outdoor activities that filled the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio