U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 AM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,546,340 times
Reputation: 1286

Advertisements

Wahoooooo!!!!


Men's Health came up with a list of 100 American cities ranked from soberest to drunkest, and San Antonio made the list. Here are the top 10 sloshed and sober cities.

1 - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM
 
410 posts, read 551,889 times
Reputation: 254
No methodology.....meaningless. Are we looking at DUI stats, incidence of alcoholic liver disease, sales/consumption data, combo of these or others???
Original Men's Health article The Drunkest Cities in America | Men's Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 AM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,546,340 times
Reputation: 1286
1st = Most liver disease; 100th = Least liver damage
1st = Most binge drinking; 100th = Least
1st = Most deaths in DUI-related crashes; 100th = Least
1st = Most DUI arrests; 100th = Least
1st = Least stringent DUI laws; 100th = Most stringent DUI laws[LEFT]
Read more: America's Drunkest Cities: Men's Health.com

They've used this methodology for past "drunk" lists. I would assume the same...not sure.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 AM
 
410 posts, read 551,889 times
Reputation: 254
Thanks for posting that! Original article I got directed to didn't have that, though I suspected some of the criteria they might've used. Anything DUI related is obviously going to see metros like ours impacted more than NYC, NOLA, and others that are more dependent on public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Tx
7,649 posts, read 8,096,745 times
Reputation: 9190
Woohoo!! My work has not been in vain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,546,340 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Thanks for posting that! Original article I got directed to didn't have that, though I suspected some of the criteria they might've used. Anything DUI related is obviously going to see metros like ours impacted more than NYC, NOLA, and others that are more dependent on public transportation.
I would think then that the liver disease numbers and the "binge drinking" in NYC would be higher due to the sheer number of residents...so I guess it evens out some. Either way, it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,663 posts, read 3,077,764 times
Reputation: 1062
That could fit into the category of Men's Non-Health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 PM
 
40 posts, read 78,064 times
Reputation: 58
There are going to be more DUI in cities that are deficient in public transportation. Of course San Antonio doesn't have an elaborate rail or subway system to make it easier to get home so , of course, the DUI's will be greater. The DUI's were the basis of three of the five factors that they measured.We are have more highways than most cities which also elevates our numbers. In addition, all liver disease isn't due to alcohol. In fact, a lot of liver disease is due to gallstones for which gallstone disease is very prevalent in San Antonio. All in all,this is another bogus statistic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutsa View Post
There are going to be more DUI in cities that are deficient in public transportation. Of course San Antonio doesn't have an elaborate rail or subway system to make it easier to get home so , of course, the DUI's will be greater. The DUI's were the basis of three of the five factors that they measured.We are have more highways than most cities which also elevates our numbers. In addition, all liver disease isn't due to alcohol. In fact, a lot of liver disease is due to gallstones for which gallstone disease is very prevalent in San Antonio. All in all,this is another bogus statistic!
Bull. San Antonio has a DWI problem because the courts here are too lenient on offenders, especially repeat offenders. Stiffer penalties would go a long way to reducing the number of DWI incidents we have in this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 AM
 
40 posts, read 78,064 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Bull. San Antonio has a DWI problem because the courts here are too lenient on offenders, especially repeat offenders. Stiffer penalties would go a long way to reducing the number of DWI incidents we have in this town.
I call bull on your assessment. Our court system is no more lenient than the other major cities in Texas. "The Top 20 cities for Drunken Driving Offenders published in Dec 2011 with the more legitimate source from the auto insurance data , NOT Men's Health magazine ,shows that San Antonio actually clearly showed a decrease in DUI's and was ranked #16, with Austin ranked higher at # 9. In fact San Diego was ranked # 1 and Los Angeles was ranked #2. Its funny how Los Angeles dropped to # 41 in the Men's Health article and San Diego dropped to #89 after being consistently ranked as #1 city with the most drunken drivers by the auto insurance industry. Furthermore Dallas was considered by Men's Health to be one of the top 15 safest to drive in the U.S. but according to the auto insurance data it is # 1 for the MOST DUI DEATHS! Once again the men's Health article is inaccurate despite the assumption by others that San Antonio has a uniquely lenient policy for drunk drivers compared to other Texas cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top