U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 AM

43 posts, read 91,134 times

Advertisements

I am not from Texas but was stationed in Fort Hood a few years. While I was there, I fell in love with San Antonio. I am looking for a good area within a half hour or so if possible from San Antonio but preferably a rural area. I'd like a country type setting and an area close to places to hunt. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 PM

45 posts, read 112,711 times
You might ask on Craigslist. Would be my suggestion. The only thing I have seen posted is when you are paying to hunt the land. Just my nickles worth.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,115,223 times
Camp Bullis has a lottery for DoD ID card holding hunters...

Quote:
Wild game hunting includes whitetail deer, axis deer, hog, javelina, turkey (spring and fall), feral goat, dove, quail, rabbit, squirrel and coyotes. Before you plan a hunting trip, call to verify availability. Hunts are seasonal and in compliance with Texas Parks and Wildlife regulations. Hunting permits required unless otherwise stated. Call to verify hunting hours.

Bird & Small Game - September
Archery - October
Gun Hunting - November
Spring Turkey - March-May

White-Tail Deer
Annual Drawing - Hunting Areas: Aug 3, 2013

The annual white-tailed deer stand drawing at Camp Bullis is scheduled for 9 am, Aug 3. Patrons interested in hunting white-tailed deer must be present for the drawing to receive a designated hunting area. Individuals will be issued a number between 8-8:45 am. Numbers will be drawn in random order until all stands are issued. Individuals can choose either a rifle or an archery stand from the ones available, but may only hunt with the weapon type for the stand selected. There is no archery hunting in rifle designated areas or vice-versa.

If you do not have a ticket by 8:45 am, you may not participate in the drawing. If you are unable to attend the drawing, you may designate a proxy to select your location. *Proxy must have proper identification.

Entry Rules & Eligibility

- One entry per DOD cardholder per year.
- Only one hunting stand will be assigned per entry.
- Hunters must purchase a permit no later than Sept 1. Any stand not paid for by this date will be forfeited and go to next in line on the standby list.
- If a stand is offered to a standby hunter, they have 21 days from the notification date to pay or that stand will be offered to the next person on the list.
- Once assigned, the stand will remain yours for the entire white-tailed deer season.
- Patrons may voluntarily turn in their stand. Stand will be forfeited due to violations.

Youth hunters, 12-16 years, may draw for their own individual stand at their parent or legal guardian's discretion. All youth hunters under 12 years of age will hunt from their parent or legal guardian's stand.

Plan Your Hunting Trip

To hunt at Camp Bullis, you must have a valid DoD ID card in addition to the following:

- Hunter's Ed. Certificate
- Valid Texas Hunting License
- Camp Bullis Annual Permit & Activity Card

Make the most of your Game

To use a rifle-hunting stand or a turkey-hunting blind, patrons must sign-up in advance. There are specific areas set aside for hunting, patrons may participate in a drawing to choose the location of their choice.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 PM

6,258 posts, read 8,993,152 times
Seguin, New Braunfels, Boerne, Kerrville, Castroville - those would be where I'd focus my search.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,412,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNovitsky9 View Post
I am not from Texas but was stationed in Fort Hood a few years. While I was there, I fell in love with San Antonio. I am looking for a good area within a half hour or so if possible from San Antonio but preferably a rural area. I'd like a country type setting and an area close to places to hunt. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Are you moving to the area? I can't really tell from your post if you are planning to be visiting or moving here.

If you are moving, then Hondo area is good for dove and whitetail hunting. My family from there hunt and lease land every year for dove and whitetail.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,319,235 times
My dad hunts in the Hondo, D'Hanis area.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:38 PM

27 posts, read 166,637 times
Hi Tim.. I also found my way to SA after a previous military gig.
The good news: Yah, the people are great. The political climate is great. The city is thriving and YES, we are the destination of choice for those visiting Texas..
The bad news: Just west of here, in New Mexico and all destinations West, a ridiculous amount of public land, national forests, is available for recreation. Here...NONE. Big Bend is a close 7HOURS (!) away but it's a National Park... wanna run around naked, ride your ATV, or shoot your AR15 and bad-mouth terrorists...forget it.
READ all those rule about Camp Bullis.... Now imagine you're out in AZ 30 Mins west of Luke AFB. 1. Park truck 2. load any gun you have. 3. shoot any gun you have at whatever you feel like shooting. 4. finish beer and return to truck.
Wherever you're from, whatever state, It's safe to say you have more public land available than Texas. Live in Austin or South of Austin? Yeh, you're gonna have to have a friend with a decent size parcel before you can live the dream most Texans pretend they live. Shoot someone in your house or yard :APPROVED! Pull off the road and walk down the river for the great starry night view... DENIED, PRIVATE PROPERTY!
The above answers reference LEASING someone elses land. Yeh, that's right...in Texas, you either own land or you pay someone else to hunt on theirs...PERIOD.
I'm all about Texas and I'm glad (Hazelwood) I chose it, but... if you're an outdoorsman, if you have options, and if you desire a big portion of govt land.... Go West Young Man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio