U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 PM

45 posts, read 112,646 times

Advertisements

I want to build a 7ft high fence on my property, about 330 feet long, 3 sides there will also be a gate for my driveway. How much can I expect to pay for just smooth wire? Or simple design wrought Iron? Just asking for ballpark estimates here because I really have no idea how much these things cost and I don't want to get ripped off. Also if you have any recommendations for good fence construction builders please let me know. This is New Braunfels area. Keeping my dogs in and the coyotes out would be good.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can share! OR what to look out for, in your experience.
Lucy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 PM

5,159 posts, read 9,674,742 times
When we extended our fence, we got quotes from $20/$25 per linear foot. But that was for 6ft dog ear cedar

Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Lucywe, I live in New Braunfels and used Dave Loveday for our fence a few years back. He came HIGHLY recommended, and he did an OUTSTANDING job on our fence. Don't recall the exact numbers, but he was well in line with anyone else, and the job he did was first class. Feel free to email me for his contact info.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,930,821 times
Oscars Ornamental Iron Works on Blanco for the iron fence. But that's not going to be a cheap date. Metal is expensive but looks great and is far more permanent than any wood fence. It's one of those "you can pay for it now or pay for it later" kinda things. Most any other fence I use River City Fence and Decks. Rudy Murillo has worked for me for the last 15 years and has always done great work. Expect a wood fence to last 8-10 years max. Metal....longer than you'll live.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,177,429 times
Does anyone know how much composite fencing costs?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM

Hey Meoo7Gold, Texas redneck and TrapperL, thank you for the information. It is very helpful. Got a couple quotes already, but want to compare some other recommended fence installers before going forward. I do know about those wood fences not lasting or looking good after a time, but they are private. Want the metal or wire this time around.
Pretty rural and can have horses. Biggie is not knowing if a smooth wire used for cattle and horses is good for dogs, so they won't get caught in it? Not sure that it is safe or long lasting?
Thanks again,
Lucy

Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM

500 posts, read 796,897 times
I have a 3 rail ranch fence around my property. It's vinyl (PVC), and is 1600'. The materials ran me 10K back in '95. I had a contractor drill holes, and I set the posts and ran the rails. If I remember correctly, holes and concrete was another 3K.

It looks as good as the day I finished it 18 years ago. The only maintenance is power washing mold accumulations around trees every 5 years or so.

I've seen similar fences bordering ranches in the area.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks dpantle, I wish that we could do vinyl, but the HOA would not allow them. Archaic or just a rule that I do not understand the reasoning behind it. It seems we have to do wire or wrought iron. We got a quote for later at $22K. The one's that were recommended were too busy to return our calls, so we are still looking for quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio