U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times

Advertisements

Was just coming on here to say she was stabbed multiple times... When you enter the park off of Bandera Rd and you drive past the YMCA the road comes to an end and you have to take a left or a right... She was found on the trail on the right side... How far into the trail I do not know...

When we lived in that area our backyard backed up to Leon Creek and we could see the trails on the other side of the creek... I always told my husband how it scared me because I would always see people out in the woods, not necessarily exercising, but lingering, walking slow, watching... It was creepy... There was a guy who used to cut thru the area and jump our fences and cut thru the neighborhood... One time both my daughters came running into the house scared as can be... They were on the swing set and some strange man came up to our fence and tried to talk to them... Asking them to come towards the fence so he could ask them something...

As beautiful as the nature parks are they are sadly the perfect place for crimes... People should always run, bike or hike with a partner and not split up and if wearing earbuds always keep 1 out so you can hear what is going on around you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:00 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,176,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I heart Jake Ryan View Post
I used to live near that park and would routinely power walk there while my boyfriend ran. One Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I was walking by the backside of a neighborhood where a trailhead splits off to the west (right in the area where the trail crosses the dry creek bed) and I passed a guy going the other direction. I noticed him simply because when I passed him he had his face forward but had turned his eyes full on to the side to watch me walk by. He creeped me out really good, so after I got about 30-40 yards past him, I turned to look over my shoulder to see where he was and he had stopped in the middle of the trail and was turned toward me watching me walk away. That set off warning bells and I picked up the pace and got out of there. Shortly after that, I met up with my boyfriend and we had to walk back through that area to get to the trailhead we entered on. I looked for him to point him out to my bf but he was nowhere to be seen at that point. He was a white guy, lower 20s, blonde, nothing noteworthy about his appearance. After that day, I never used that trail when there weren't a lot of other people using it too.

Holy crap. Okay, so I was at the Leon Creek Greenway (Cathedral Park Trailhead) about a month ago, very early in the morning...nobody around....and I happened to be walking with my 50-lb black shepherd mix dog, but I was alone otherwise. I went to turn right past Yucca Pass when I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a caucasian or possibly hispanic man, standing alone, in jeans and a sweatshirt hoodie (and what looked like maybe a baseball cap on?) about 30 yards away. It was startling to me because he was just standing there, staring, legs apart, my lord I thought I was seeing things. I stopped for about three seconds to make sure I wasn't just mistaking a tree or branch for a man or something--but let me tell you, ALL of the hair was standing up on the back of my neck and I had an intensely creepy feeling, and I never really feel like that, so I hightailed it. I was so freaking grateful that I had my dog with me, because she does look a little intimidating and she will growl and pose a threat, but I didn't have a gun or even pepper spray with me, so I knew just how incredibly vulnerable I was. When I went back the other way, he was not there anymore, and I thought I was just crazy and over-thinking it all. I realized that I had seen signs of someone sleeping on the ground when I parked there in the lot--a blanket laid out and a shirt nearby, and they were gone. Hey, you know, homelessness is a problem, but that doesn't make them all criminals. So...I talked myself into it, that he was just a sad homeless guy...and maybe he was. In any case, I don't go walking without my dog and without some sort of defense.

What baffles me is that I have been to OP Schnabel as well as some of the other trailheads and I never, ever see Park Police. I never see them biking on the trails. Do they do that here? In Houston and Dallas, you have bike cops everywhere in parks and trails, and it is unsettling that I haven't ever seen one here. Am I just way off on that?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM

123 posts, read 227,265 times
This is awful. I go to Schnabel park all the time with my kids. It's such a nice place.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post

What baffles me is that I have been to OP Schnabel as well as some of the other trailheads and I never, ever see Park Police. I never see them biking on the trails. Do they do that here? In Houston and Dallas, you have bike cops everywhere in parks and trails, and it is unsettling that I haven't ever seen one here. Am I just way off on that?
M2F ... My husband is a San Antonio Park Police Officer ... Yes they do have bike and ATV Officers but sadly San Antonio does not put much importance in the Park Police as a whole ...

In Houston and Dallas their Park Officers are part of the actual Dallas and Houston PD, as well as Austin, so they have the man power to have officers out in those parks where they can be seen... Those park officers get paid the same as all other officers and get the same benefits and respect...

Here in San Antonio the Park Officers are their own department, not part of SAPD... The Park Officers here are considered non uniformed officers... They are looked down upon, get no respect... They don't get the same benefits as SAPD and they are far from the same pay scale, yet they carry the same credentials and are fully licensed Texas Peace Officers... They carry guns, tasers, asps, handcuffs ... They are real officers who don't get treated as such... It is so bad that a few years back McManus wanted to get rid of the Park Police all together saying that SAPD could take care of our parks... Who cares that SAPD is stretched so thin as it is...

Because of this Park Officers are very low on man power... Who wants to be a Park Officer when their pay scale sucks? They have very few officers to patrol the millions of acres of parks across San Antonio...

There are apx 10-15 bike/ATV Officers and they are assigned to the new greenway stretches ... What is really sad is that there is 1 district Park Officer assigned to each SAPD patrol district... So in other words, the 1 Park Officer on North Patrol has to patrol all parks in the North district, anywhere from 20-40 parks at any given time...

Certain parks may have a permanent officer assigned to it at all times, but again, it is only 1 officer to cover hundreds and hundreds of acres...

My husband patrols the SA River Walk, overnight... He has stopped rapes in progress, robberies in progress, drug deals, domestic violence in the hotels, he has had a gun pulled out on him during a chase... A couple of years ago my husband saw a man acting suspicious who had a 14 year old boy with him... My husband kept him in sight and when he did something wrong my husband made contact with him... Turned out he was a sex offender who had escaped from a work release program who my husband caught and rearrested... The news picked up the story but gave the arresting credit to SAPD, my husbands name nor his department were ever mentioned in the story...

Very sad but very true facts...

Old 01-02-2014, 04:06 PM

The news coverage on this is atrocious. Right now, I'm watching KSAT-12, they've had 6 stories on, none of them about this very alarming story. Currently they're doing a bit on Lost Dogs. Really.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:58 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,633 times
WOAI had the story. McManus said it is looking like a random act. Wrong place, wrong time. Nevertheless ladies jog in groups with earbuds low. Keep eyes peeled. Weird world we live in and that park seems to family oriented, but then again creeps are out there. Hope this is solved quickly.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
WOAI had the story. McManus said it is looking like a random act. Wrong place, wrong time. Nevertheless ladies jog in groups with earbuds low. Keep eyes peeled. Weird world we live in and that park seems to family oriented, but then again creeps are out there. Hope this is solved quickly.
wow....a "random act"? That scares me even more. WTH? Sounds like an act that will be repeated, if so. That poor family.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
M2F ... My husband is a San Antonio Park Police Officer ... Yes they do have bike and ATV Officers but sadly San Antonio does not put much importance in the Park Police as a whole ...

In Houston and Dallas their Park Officers are part of the actual Dallas and Houston PD, as well as Austin, so they have the man power to have officers out in those parks where they can be seen... Those park officers get paid the same as all other officers and get the same benefits and respect...

Here in San Antonio the Park Officers are their own department, not part of SAPD... The Park Officers here are considered non uniformed officers... They are looked down upon, get no respect... They don't get the same benefits as SAPD and they are far from the same pay scale, yet they carry the same credentials and are fully licensed Texas Peace Officers... They carry guns, tasers, asps, handcuffs ... They are real officers who don't get treated as such... It is so bad that a few years back McManus wanted to get rid of the Park Police all together saying that SAPD could take care of our parks... Who cares that SAPD is stretched so thin as it is...

Because of this Park Officers are very low on man power... Who wants to be a Park Officer when their pay scale sucks? They have very few officers to patrol the millions of acres of parks across San Antonio...

There are apx 10-15 bike/ATV Officers and they are assigned to the new greenway stretches ... What is really sad is that there is 1 district Park Officer assigned to each SAPD patrol district... So in other words, the 1 Park Officer on North Patrol has to patrol all parks in the North district, anywhere from 20-40 parks at any given time...

Certain parks may have a permanent officer assigned to it at all times, but again, it is only 1 officer to cover hundreds and hundreds of acres...

My husband patrols the SA River Walk, overnight... He has stopped rapes in progress, robberies in progress, drug deals, domestic violence in the hotels, he has had a gun pulled out on him during a chase... A couple of years ago my husband saw a man acting suspicious who had a 14 year old boy with him... My husband kept him in sight and when he did something wrong my husband made contact with him... Turned out he was a sex offender who had escaped from a work release program who my husband caught and rearrested... The news picked up the story but gave the arresting credit to SAPD, my husbands name nor his department were ever mentioned in the story...

Very sad but very true facts...

Thanks for posting all that. I did wonder about the Park Police's relationship with SAPD. I knew they got paid less, and I never understood why. This city needs to wake up and make some seriously needed changes.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,633 times
A 24 year old girl who I am assuming was home for the holidays from college. I am wondering if her attacker(s) followed her into the park or were already in the park waiting for a random girl to jog by. What he did not say was if there was anything sexual or if it was just a stabbing. Treating it as a homicide at this point. Guess that might come out in the next week or so.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
A 24 year old girl who I am assuming was home for the holidays from college.
Yes. She went to Harding University, which is a very conservative, private college in Searcy, AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio