Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,113 times

Advertisements

Toll lanes are necessary. Taxpayers can no longer subsidize suburban sprawl. It's better to live close to your job than in a McMansion over an hour away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM

336 posts, read 484,057 times
Whether most like it or not, tolls are going to happen. It's time to accept it and try to find a way to live within what the toll-per-mile will likely be.

One way or the other, San Antonio moves forward

Old 01-12-2014, 11:30 AM

282 posts, read 472,116 times
My firm does a lot of work in Houston and sends me over there pretty frequently. It puzzles me how that city has 10-16 lane highways plus their third loop being built while SA can't even get its current highways built to adequate size. I know Houston is much, much bigger but why does the state think that four-lane highways cut it in this city? 1604 is a joke and needs more capacity to handle all the traffic it has. Now we have 281 being expanded, only to look like 1604 does now with a toll lane in the middle. Does the state honestly think this is enough? Growth north of 1604 is not stopping anytime soon. Same thing with I10. Adding just one toll lane in the median is simply not enough.

SA, I hope you all realize that you're getting the short-end of the stick, a very short end at that.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 PM

437 posts, read 638,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
My firm does a lot of work in Houston and sends me over there pretty frequently. It puzzles me how that city has 10-16 lane highways plus their third loop being built while SA can't even get its current highways built to adequate size. I know Houston is much, much bigger but why does the state think that four-lane highways cut it in this city? 1604 is a joke and needs more capacity to handle all the traffic it has. Now we have 281 being expanded, only to look like 1604 does now with a toll lane in the middle. Does the state honestly think this is enough? Growth north of 1604 is not stopping anytime soon. Same thing with I10. Adding just one toll lane in the median is simply not enough.

SA, I hope you all realize that you're getting the short-end of the stick, a very short end at that.
agreed, i wonder how can we get the state to fork over more money to roads in san antonio.

right now i imagine txdot is doing the best with what the city is given. there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to expand 281 north of 1604 though than what is being proposed without demolishing several buildings. the good thing about 281 north is that blanco and bulverde run parallel to 281 north (and they were recently widened) so plenty of options to get home. most of the traffic north of 1604 from what i see is people just trying to get home, or to the stone oak shopping center.

for the money SA gets, our freeways aren't too terrible. 410 and i-10 are 10 lanes too where they need to be. 1604 will be next after 281 and i-10.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,347 times
So they are just going to add one lane in the middle? That's called HOV, not toll and if you get stuck behind a slow driver, then what?

I don't understand why they can't widen the roads by adding more lanes. There is room both on 1604 and 281. There are even parts of 1604 where the access road is 3 lanes while 1604 is 2 lane. That makes no sense.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
So they are just going to add one lane in the middle? That's called HOV, not toll and if you get stuck behind a slow driver, then what?

I don't understand why they can't widen the roads by adding more lanes. There is room both on 1604 and 281. There are even parts of 1604 where the access road is 3 lanes while 1604 is 2 lane. That makes no sense.

Did you read the plans?

Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 PM

282 posts, read 472,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
agreed, i wonder how can we get the state to fork over more money to roads in san antonio.

right now i imagine txdot is doing the best with what the city is given. there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to expand 281 north of 1604 though than what is being proposed without demolishing several buildings. the good thing about 281 north is that blanco and bulverde run parallel to 281 north (and they were recently widened) so plenty of options to get home. most of the traffic north of 1604 from what i see is people just trying to get home, or to the stone oak shopping center.

for the money SA gets, our freeways aren't too terrible. 410 and i-10 are 10 lanes too where they need to be. 1604 will be next after 281 and i-10.
Not at all! The city is actually blessed to have the extensive system it has. It needs to continue having good, adaquete-size highways. Six lanes just don't cut it.

As for 281, designing it north of 1604 larger than what is proposed is a great opportunity to showcase some great civil engineering. But you're right, the state is doing the best they can with what they have.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:07 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Toll lanes are necessary. Taxpayers can no longer subsidize suburban sprawl. It's better to live close to your job than in a McMansion over an hour away
The city has a symbiotic relationship with its suburbs and the health of one affects the other. We need to encourage density but not at the expense of the suburbs. Taxpayers should subsidize better roads for both sectors instead of paying for private firms to profit from road tolls which helps neither the city or its suburbs but some shady company in bed with state administrators.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Here is the main problem I have with the proposed toll lanes. They represent the latest example of the San Antonio city government seeking to tax/charge/profit from/exploit those living outside the city limits. Look at the proposed locations. On I-10 from 1604/La Cantera west to Ralph Fair Rd. Ralph Fair road is almost exactly on the San Antonio city limits. So, the SA City Council would be sticking people that live north of Ralph Fair road with the highest degree of tolls. Same thing for proposed location of the 281 toll lanes. Anyone living on the other side of the Comal county line would be footing the majority of the toll burden. This is a recurrent problem with the city of San Antonio. See the recent Pre-K for SA initiative. This plan was funded through an increase in sales tax in the city of SA. The problem is, the sales tax increases also applied to things like SAWS water bills and CPS energy bills. The problem with this being there were many, many people that were forced into paying this additional tax with no vote or no say on the SA city council because they live outside the city limits. So, not only did those in question experience taxation without representation, they are also not eligible to participate in the programs they are funding through their tax contributions. Small potatoes, granted, but it speaks directly to the recurrent trend in this city to stick those living outside the city limits with the bill for things inside the city.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Where does the money from the proposed toll roads go to? I am assuming there is profit to be made from this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio