Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:46 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,723,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windcrest65 View Post
I once did a walkthrough on a RE house with a friend of mine who wanted to buy one and they were using 3/8" drywall on 2 1/2" studs for a bathroom wall.

I laughed my a$$ off.
That is horrible. I walked through a Pulte subdivision just a few years ago and saw just delivered drywall for a house and the drywall was 3/8" for the walls and 1/2" for the ceilings. Crazy. I didn't think any builder did that now. Granted it was a lower level Pulte home...but none the less - 3/8" just won't hold up as well as 1/2 inch over the long term.

I have never heard of 2 1/2" studs. Mine has 2X4 studs all on 16" centers (on all walls load and non load bearing)...with 1/2 drywall - nice solid interior walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,781,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post

I have never heard of 2 1/2" studs. Mine has 2X4 studs all on 16" centers (on all walls load and non load bearing)...with 1/2 drywall - nice solid interior walls.
Wow! Really? That's some amazing information...how come you never told us?

Old 04-16-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdoggy View Post
3/8" drywall with 2 x 4 on 24" centers is standard for Rayco homes.
RAYCO doesn't exist anymore. And I know for a fact that the company that purchased them - KB out of California - uses 1/2" in all their communities from top to bottom. Some do still have 24" centers on non load bearing walls - which isn't ideal - but up to code. Many builders do 24" on center walls on non load bearing walls. My last house - built by the predecessor of Wilshire - NPC homes - was 25 years old and had 24" on center framing on all the non load bearing walls and was in fine condition when we sold it. 24" on center is fine in the right circumstance.

That said - we specifically looked for 16" on center framing for all walls - which not every builder does.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdoggy View Post
I have built mine with 2 x 6 on exterior and 16" OC.., that way your insululation is beefed up as well.

sorry, this is turning into a construction site.., thread.., sorry!

DO any builders use steel framing, (aluminum studs)?
2X6 framing is standard up north where they have much colder winters...not too many homes in SA have that type of framing - unless they have a large heavy tile roof - where extra framing is needed.

Steel framing would be great...but I would imagine you would have to go with a high end custom builder.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:38 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,348,862 times
I was house shopping this weekend.

We visted Bella Vista Homes, which had very affordable floor plans and a very nice incentive package. When inside the vacant house, it had a very modular home feel to it (cheap). While I am not buying a house in the $140,00 + range I would have thought the quality was a tad better.

KB Home - Numerous complaints in the communities we visited ranging from Flood Zone, to increased taxes once moved in, decrease in home value, to cracks in foundation.

Based on the houses we looked at they were built very solid, the Sales people were very thorough, and friendly. Prices were competitive, but the incentives for move in were next to nothing. I was told that they do not offer to many incentives becuase they are doing so well, and to watch out for builders offering incentives as they are the first to go.

Decided due to the bad reviews we would pass on KB.

Everything new is being built by Lackland Airforce base out in the Boonies. Not to fond of the area so we're going to find a older new home

Old 04-16-2009, 05:43 PM

841 posts, read 1,738,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Steel framing would be great...but I would imagine you would have to go with a high end custom builder.
Actually, Rayco (yes, the "evil" Rayco) used metal studs for some of their homes in the 1990's. I remember their advertising which noted the straightness of the walls and the inherent fire resistance. I believe some of the homes in Parkwood (NW side) have metal studs.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Actually, Rayco (yes, the "evil" Rayco) used metal studs for some of their homes in the 1990's. I remember their advertising which noted the straightness of the walls and the inherent fire resistance. I believe some of the homes in Parkwood (NW side) have metal studs.
Really?! Too little too late. I would definately pay extra for metal studs if it were offered. I have an uncle in Dallas that is an architect that works on large commercial projects. He said that the problem with metal framing is the skill set needed to work on the jobs - it just isn't widely available - and what is - is working on commercial projects. He swears by metal studs because the walls are staight and as you said - the fire resistance. But also - it allows for cheaper laber when it comes time to run wiring as most metal studs have voids for running wires. No drilling necessary.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:31 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,738,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
haha

sad thing is, i spent the last 5 minutes running around with a stud finder and a feeler gauge figuring out how thick the drywall is and how far apart beams are on non-load bearing walls.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 PM

410 posts, read 1,246,232 times
Quote:
Repped!

The thread is about reputation of homebuilders though, and no one can argue to stay away from KB due to an earned and well deserved reputation!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:31 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,468,967 times
Quote:
LOL!!! --- that one got a rep from me too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio