U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM

33 posts, read 130,224 times

Advertisements

Ok, first off I'm Hawaiian transplanted here in San Antonio and love the Mexican cuisine! However, friends have told me that the best places to get authentic Mexican food are the "mom and pops", "hole in the wall" places here. I went to one of them off Culebra and because I'm brown skinned, they thought I was Mexican and spoke to me in their native tongue. I felt embarrassed and out of place because for one, I didn't know what half the menu said and second, because I drop out of spanish classes in college. This is the guy who until recently discovered that "casa" was cheese or melted cheese. So, lastly besides Taco Cabana what are some other authentic food places I can go to for some real Mex-Tex food, that will pardon my ignorance in not knowing the spanish language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 PM

739 posts, read 816,317 times
Casa means house in spanish.Queso in spanish means cheese. I've been to some around the Universal City area like El Toro,Taco Sensations, El Jalisco( Schertz) Chalapa Jalisco on Pat Booker(UC) .There is Rolando's Super Tacos on Walzem and they have a few other locations as well. You might check on Yelp and also Sa Current magazine has a website and reviews places as well as the Taste section of the news paper. There is a place called I think Salsa on Ritterman Road near Kirby that got a good review. I took spanish in high school and junior high but have forgotten half of what I took. There is also Sol Luna on North New Braunfels in Alamo Heights too.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM

437 posts, read 776,409 times
Try Los Compadres on Pleasanton, 1015 is the address I think. I've become a regular. Great food, hole in the wall, super clean and friendly people.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM

10,410 posts, read 12,671,808 times
That's not entirely true because there are some good local chains like Blanco Cafe and Las Palapas which are as good or better than most good mom and pop places.

They are all around the city. The best way to tell is to see how busy they are during lunch hours, or on Saturday mornings. If you find one nearly empty and go, "YES! They are not too busy at this time which surprises me!" then you might want to be careful.

I don't speak much Spanish but I've never had trouble ordering. They all speak English. It might be better to find out some of the common names used at Mexican restaurants, such as huevos (eggs), and carne guisada (beef tips with gravy), etc. Visit a sit down restaurant which has descriptions of the items on their menu.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:26 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,630,972 times
If you're ever in the Stone Oak area on a late weekend night, check out El Piquin at Blanco & Huebner, the northeast corner by the CVS Pharmacy. SO....GOOD.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:55 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,375,371 times
I'm unsure what part of San Antonio is convenient for you, but I like Chapala's Taco House on Austin Highway. It is in a strip center across from Wal Mart.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 AM

37,726 posts, read 55,391,166 times
San Antonio Area - Favorite "Hole In The Wall" Restaurant
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:11 PM

146 posts, read 209,849 times
by the way, related to your "brown skin" comment: there are lots of folks with brown skins here that don't speak Spanish. It is very common for second or third generation (or later) Mexican Americans to not have been taught Spanish at home.

So, even if you are Mexican, there is no shame in not speaking Spanish, and definitely no shame if you are Hawaiian, though you may find it fun and useful to learn some words.

The first thing they will probably ask you is "algo para tomar?" (would you like something to drink?) and if you just answer in English most servers will answer back in English. (or just answer in English, "what do you recommend?" or something like that."

Enjoy your culinary adventures!

Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
Taqueria Jalisco
11791 West Ave
San Antonio, TX 78213

El Milagrito
521 E Woodlawn Ave
San Antonio, TX 78212

Los Angeles Tortilleria
300 N Zarzamora
San Antonio, TX 78207

Pete's Tako House
502 Brooklyn
San Antonio, TX 78212

Taqueria Huentitan
6502 Babcock Rd
San Antonio, TX 78249

Those are all places I woud go to before going to Las Palapas, TCs or Mama Margies.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 AM

246 posts, read 359,050 times
Blanco Cafe on Blanco south of Hildebrand. I drive a long way to go there now that we moved.

Garcias on Fredricksburg. Pork con chiles tacos. Ditto on the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio