U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 PM

6 posts, read 15,983 times

Advertisements

Guys,
I need help to decide which city I should move to. My background: I am form San Diego and have never been to Texas. I am a disabled US Marines veteran. I am in my mid 20's and a full time student. My reasons to move to Texas are
1) Cheap living
2) I wanna do petroleum engineering
3) Better business opportunity. I have a little bit of hard earned savings and would like to do a small business while in school.

I have been doing a lot of research online and a lot of people are leaning towards Austin but some people say its only a college town. Yea I wanna be at a college town and it would be awesome but I am leaving california for a reason: which is to start a business also.

Any advice or suggestions will be highly appreciated. I am thinking to take a flight to Texas for this spring break 2014 and check the cities out in person also.
Thanks Semper Fi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:25 AM

520 posts, read 605,134 times
San Antonio is VERY vet oriented, is cheaper than Austin (which is cheaper than SD), traffic is better (neither is CA coast bad).

I don't think any of the schools here offer Petro Eng. (quick check of UTSA, TAMUSA, St Mary's, UIW, OLLU), so that might seal the deal for Austin (or possibly College Station?). From my experience, Austin has a more SD vibe, while SA is more....well, SA - I can't come up with an equivalent, maybe the Hampton Roads area in VA - lots of military, lots of tourists, a working class service industry oriented city.

Coming from what I consider to be best climate in the contintental U.S. (if it just wasn't so incredibly expensive) you'll have to adjust to the weather here, cooler (I come from the Northeast) in the Winter, hotter in the Summer. No notable difference between Austin and SA on that front.

Small business-wise I think it really depends on what you have planned as to which would be the better fit.

Fair Winds and Following Seas (Navy Vet here, last tour was MCAS Yuma)

Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 13,453 times
I think that Austin is a "nicer city". Probably has more people with a higher education, it's a little cleaner (in most places), and it just seems to be a better overall place to live. That being said I live in San Antonio and would probably never move to Austin. San Antonio has a lower cost of living, has everything I need convenience wise, and is VERY vet friendly. Also, my husband who is retired military still works on base. There is PLENTY to do here in San Antonio, and you can always just visit Austin whenever since it isn't that far away

Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,292,391 times
According to a news story I heard this morning, Bexar County (where San Antonio is located), is second to last in Texas on spending on veterans' services. This is a military town while Austin is not. Besides some training for low-end petroleum jobs at the Alamo Colleges, there are no petroleum engineering programs near San Antonio.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM

501 posts, read 838,344 times
San Antonio is not the best place if you are looking for Petroleum engineering, Houston would be ideal for that. However, San Antonio is extremely veteran friendly. Housing cost wise, San Antonio is still substantially cheaper, but we are seeing a steady increase in sales prices, due to a rapidly falling inventory. San Antonio is definitely a more laid back city.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:43 PM

425 posts, read 516,248 times
He made the same thread in the Texas forums. I agree that his best bet is Houston for petroleum engineering.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:38 AM

9 posts, read 12,132 times
I would think with the eagle ford shale formation that San Antonio would actually be an interesting place to be in this industry. Certainly better than Austin. And as a disabled vet you get a potentially big break on your property taxes. I used to live in SoCal too, no regrets!

Old 01-24-2014, 04:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,088,558 times
Houston is the place to be for petroleum engineering. I agree San Antonio is veteran friendly but Houston does have the Michael Debakey VA complex which offers medical services for disabled veterans including (and I didn't know this until I started looking for jobs in my field of blind rehabilitation for veterans) services for veterans who have blindness and severe vision impairments.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:34 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,292,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsocal View Post
I would think with the eagle ford shale formation that San Antonio would actually be an interesting place to be in this industry. Certainly better than Austin. And as a disabled vet you get a potentially big break on your property taxes. I used to live in SoCal too, no regrets!
If the OP still needs to complete a petroleum engineering degree, there are no programs in San Antonio.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:37 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,088,558 times
Quote:

If the OP still needs to complete a petroleum engineering degree, there are
no programs in San Antonio.
Isn't that strange about San Antonio, and we have the Eagle Ford thing going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio