U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:46 PM

5,621 posts, read 6,404,848 times

Advertisements

Who said she deserved to be attacked? I am lost here. All I read was that she should have known better than to be out jogging late at night which does not translate to also being deserving of being attacked or raped.

It is unfortunate she was attacked, it is also unfortunate that women have to be careful on the jogging trails here. If anything, the recent attacks should tell women to be more careful at least for awhile. Especially if police presence is almost non existent as some say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 01:33 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
I don't think anyone believes she deserved to be attacked, but a little common sense would go a long way in preventing such an attack!

Honestly, would it be smart to walk around with bundles of $100 bills sticking out of your pocket in some of the less desirable parts of town? Do people lock their doors? Do you leave valuables lying around outside overnight?

I am not justifying crime, but the reality is that there are criminals everywhere and some simple preventative measures go a long way to keep yourself from being a victim!

As for expecting the police to protect you from crime, that's just not feasible which is why I've always advocated that people be able and prepared to defend themselves.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:39 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,174,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
So mom2 you do blame rape victim then? Because they are clearly putting themselves out there right? Women absolutely jog the Katy trail in Dallas after dark, especially in the summer. It's sickening that anyone would think this woman deserved to be attacked, which is what you are implying, just because she was jogging after dark.

Did you read my post at all?

I am MOST ASSUREDLY not implying she deserved it, don't put words in my mouth.

And Katy Trail is VERY well lit, btw, and traveled all the time, like Memorial Park in Houston, so don't give me that crap.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM

16,722 posts, read 40,835,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcavazos View Post
I by no way condone this act, but when are people going to start looking out for themselves? 10pm? Plus, the Oxbow area is not the safest place to be out past dark. As a female myself, I do not go to the trails alone. It sucks that we have to be so vigilant, but these are the days and times we live in!
The SA crime heat map does not show that area as being particularly high in crime. San Antonio Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Old 01-19-2014, 03:28 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,307,607 times
I think one of the most important things for anyone who's out jogging or running is to stay aware of your surroundings. When I'm riding my bike, just about every jogger who I end up behind on a path, male or female, is listening to music with earbuds in both ears and they don't hear me approach, or hear the very loud ding that my bike bell makes. Then they get startled when I go around them.

I'm not saying anyone deserves to be attacked...just for safety's sake be more alert because if I can come up behind you, ring my bell three or four times and you don't notice, then someone with bad intentions could just as easily sneak up on you, or a dog who hates runners (I assume there are dogs like that, there sure are dogs that hate cyclists) could come up from behind.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 PM

659 posts, read 964,306 times
Sounds to me that the vic was aware and prepared. She wasn't too surprised to fight back, she called police and she had the presence of mind to gather info about a potentially unique identifier as part of the attackers descriptions.

I hope she dust her self off taps into her support system and hits the trail again just as soon as she feels ready, yes run with a friend next time maybe even carry a screaming key chain alarm, nunchucks or some mace but RETAIN HER POWER AND RUN!!!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:06 PM

6,137 posts, read 8,594,492 times
I ran at that exact spot twice last year in late September about 7:45 when the sun was going down. Twice was enough and I will never do it again.

The thing about the greenway is so long and expansive and hard to patrol. We have mentioned before that there aren't nearly as many park police on the trail, but if you go to Hardberger anytime near sunset the park police will chase you down and kick you out. That is a much smaller area to patrol with the trail out to Huebner being just over 1.2 miles. Leon Creek Greenway is so large that no matter what is done there will always be some sense of uncertainty. And being prepared is the only thing you can do.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 PM

4,147 posts, read 4,702,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Love the victim blaming! I bet you all think that women that go to bars and have too much to drink deserve to get raped. No one is responsible for the crime committed against them.
Unfortunately, there are still people who insist on blaming the victim.

Attacked while running? Well, you shouldn't have been running there at that time. It's your fault, not the attacker's.
Raped while wearing something perceived as promiscuous? Well, you shouldn't have been wearing that. It's your fault, not the rapists.

Some people do not understand the source of the problem!

Last edited by thenewtexan; 01-19-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 04:27 PM

4,147 posts, read 4,702,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityJAX View Post
Sounds to me that the vic was aware and prepared. She wasn't too surprised to fight back, she called police and she had the presence of mind to gather info about a potentially unique identifier as part of the attackers descriptions.

I hope she dust her self off taps into her support system and hits the trail again just as soon as she feels ready, yes run with a friend next time maybe even carry a screaming key chain alarm, nunchucks or some mace but RETAIN HER POWER AND RUN!!!
Exactly. It's healthy to promote empowerment, instead of making ignorant blanket statements, judging and blaming the victim.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:34 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,174,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Unfortunately, there are still people who insist on blaming the victim.

Attacked while running? Well, you shouldn't have been running there at that time. It's your fault, not the attacker's.
Raped while wearing something perceived as promiscuous? Well, you shouldn't have been wearing that. It's your fault, not the rapists.

Some people do not understand the source of the problem!

...and some people do not have common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or