U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 11:43 AM

13,789 posts, read 7,311,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheed1 View Post
It will be very nice indeed but for $2000 a year in HOA fees I'd better get a rollercoaster too. My sis in law lives in a community outside Phoenix i little higher scale than A/R and she only pays $800. Just a little observation ...lol

$2000 seems very high for HOA dues. Is that correct? Our dues are roughly $600 a year and this is a large community with an 18 hole golf course, 6 tennis courts, swimming pools/kiddie pools (3 scattered around the different neighborhoods) and a social membership to the country club located next to the golf course. It also helps to maintain the landscaping for the common areas and the entrance. Seems like a drop in the bucket if that figure mentioned for Alamo Ranch is true.

Will this amount drop once more homes are built and more folks move to Alamo Ranch?

Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM

314 posts, read 2,378,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOregon View Post
Saw the new sign on the theater lot today. That confirms it; it's on 1604 maybe a mile south of Potranco, on the inside of the loop.
I clocked the distance the other day. The Santikos theatre sign is just short of a half mile from the potranco and 1604 intersection. You can see the intersection from the sign.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:31 PM

260 posts, read 1,021,375 times
Ours is $800. I live in AR, Pulte. Different builders have different dues, however.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 72,450 times
Default Unimaginable....

I have been living in southern Colorado for the last 20 years, and have not even visited San Antonio in the last 10 years. I lived off of Talley Road in the early 70's as a little kid, and remember it fondly. Recently, my wife and I have been talking about moving back to this area, but these posts scare me to the core.
There was almost NOTHING out in this area from 471, all the way down Potranco to Culebra. The only store in the Talley Road area was the Ladlie's Store at the intersection of Potranco.
Now, I know this is a different time, and those days are gone forever, but ........what the hell was so wrong with everything that it had to be sold, subdivided, commercialized and paved over? What caused this formerly EMPTY area to be overpopulated like a commercial pig farm? Truth be told, I can likely answer these questions myself.
I'm sorry for the vitriolic rant there, and I know I'd have to at least visit and see it for myself, but the things I'm reading are horrifying. The things I'm seeing about the Helotes area are just as disturbing. At 16 years old I ran out of gas at the intersection of 1604 and Bandera road. The only building around was the old, empty dance hall on the southwest corner. I walked all the way to Jerry Null's gas station (for you homefolks) without one car passing by on Bandera in the middle of a weekday.
I know time marches on, etc., etc. and my father can point to a time when Bandera Road wasn't even paved, but my God! Doesn't anyone even flinch when they see this kind of growth?

Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 PM

260 posts, read 1,021,375 times
Depends on if you grew up in the area or not. I feel the same about my hometown, but view it improvement when it comes to NW S.A. from whence I do not hail.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:45 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,311,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrocarnation View Post
I have been living in southern Colorado for the last 20 years, and have not even visited San Antonio in the last 10 years. I lived off of Talley Road in the early 70's as a little kid, and remember it fondly. Recently, my wife and I have been talking about moving back to this area, but these posts scare me to the core.
There was almost NOTHING out in this area from 471, all the way down Potranco to Culebra. The only store in the Talley Road area was the Ladlie's Store at the intersection of Potranco.
Now, I know this is a different time, and those days are gone forever, but ........what the hell was so wrong with everything that it had to be sold, subdivided, commercialized and paved over? What caused this formerly EMPTY area to be overpopulated like a commercial pig farm? Truth be told, I can likely answer these questions myself.
I'm sorry for the vitriolic rant there, and I know I'd have to at least visit and see it for myself, but the things I'm reading are horrifying. The things I'm seeing about the Helotes area are just as disturbing. At 16 years old I ran out of gas at the intersection of 1604 and Bandera road. The only building around was the old, empty dance hall on the southwest corner. I walked all the way to Jerry Null's gas station (for you homefolks) without one car passing by on Bandera in the middle of a weekday.
I know time marches on, etc., etc. and my father can point to a time when Bandera Road wasn't even paved, but my God! Doesn't anyone even flinch when they see this kind of growth?

Hey Retro..I know what you're talking about concerning Potranco b/c my parents moved to that area near Talley Rd back in 1972 when I was a little kid. I also remember the quiet with hardly a car around on 1604 whether it was at Bandera or at Potranco. I also remember the Laidley's and their store; maybe you and I went to Leon Valley Elem. together back then!?

Anyway, growth is inevitable and if you think about it, if anyone grew up within 20-30 miles of any major city(as we did), you can be sure that things will have changed immensely just as they have in San Antonio over the past 35 years or so.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 72,450 times
Default Yes, Mr. 940

We must have gone to Leon Valley, Coke Stevenson, AND Marshall together. Same memories from the same time.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
First time here, and would like to thank you all for the excellent info...

Old 01-20-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
Default Sell or rent

I built my house in Park Place in 2003, and am now a few months from transferring to Victioria BC (Navy). I had thought to rent at first, with the though that my house would be worth much much more in 6-10 years. But now I think I might sell. Any opinions out there?

Old 01-20-2007, 05:28 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,348,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recruitingsux View Post
I built my house in Park Place in 2003, and am now a few months from transferring to Victioria BC (Navy). I had thought to rent at first, with the though that my house would be worth much much more in 6-10 years. But now I think I might sell. Any opinions out there?
IMO, SELL. Being an out-of-state landlord is hard and most property management companies are good at taking your money, but not ensuring your house is kept in good shape. Also, rents are down due to the large influx of investors who bought many homes to rent out. Also, you will probably have a new tenant every year and don't forget that you still have to make the house payment when the home sits vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio