U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 AM

422 posts, read 1,332,335 times

Advertisements

Wow, and i just stole a new car battery, I mean bought a new car battery at the Walmart on Culebra and 1604 yesterday. If I would have known this one was open! Geesh...

Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 AM

15 posts, read 49,608 times
I GET MAIL FROM THE SAN ANTONIO TOLL PARTY. I NEED TO SHARE THIS. THIS IS AN ALERT!!!!!

Go to: sanantoniotollparty.com

GENERAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE ALAMO REGIONAL MOBILITY AUTHORITY TransGuide, 3500 N.W. Loop 410, 1st Floor Meeting Room, San Antonio, Texas, Thursday, June 14, 2007, 1:30 PM. Sign up to speak on AGENDA ITEM #4 which addresses the RMA tolling 281 & 1604.

Our local tolling authority, the Alamo RMA (ARMA), is set to exercise their first right of refusal as allowed in the GOVERNOR'S BILL SB 792 (that every senator voted for and Frank Corte & Edmund Kuempel on the House side) to takeover the tolling of 281 & 1604 from TxDOT. Despite SB 792 putting a moratorium on private toll contracts (called CDAs...we busted the $1.4 billion deal with Cintra-Zachry), now the RMA wants access to your pockets to toll EXISTING HIGHWAYS already built and paid for. There is NO EXCUSE to toll 281 when TxDOT has had the GAS TAX money for the improvements since 2004! On 1604, MPO documents show most segments have to be funded with millions in YOUR GAS TAXES because they're not toll viable. So you'll be DOUBLE TAXED on those toll lanes as well! It's all about robbing from one to pay for the other rather than having EVERYONE pay as we do under the gas tax system.

The RMA is spinning this saying "reasonable people" will be FOR 281 & 1604 being "public" toll projects. But under SB 792, as we warned, they can use market based tolls on these EXISTING ROADS! That means the HIGHEST POSSIBLE TOLLS! It doesn't matter who is holding the gun, this is still a stick-up...HIGHWAY ROBBERY of the worst kind! TxDOT's surveys show start rates of 29 cents a mile for 1604, so for a 20 mile commute that would be close to $6 ONE WAY or $12 a day in new toll taxes and over $3,000 a year PER COMMUTER in tolls. Yet your politicians are telling you that you're unreasonable for opposing this, and they're telling you this isn't a tax increase! Compare this with 1-3 cents a mile using gas tax, and you can see how this is THE MOST EXPENSIVE OPTION!

Despite the overwhelming public opposition to tolling in San Antonio, despite over 500 citizens turning out at many public hearings opposing tolls on both 281 and 1604, these UNELECTED COMMISSIONS are going to toll you anyway! Didn't we warn that if we didn't get the RIGHT legislation passed, this is what they'd do in the "off season" when legislators have all gone home? Our politicians FAILED to bring toll projects to a public vote. This is taxation without representation that started a taxpayer revolt that WILL NOT DIE until the PEOPLE regain control over our own self-governance! Our representatives aren't representing us. They're NOT listening to the CLEAR will of the people, they voted FOR the Governor's bill, SB 792, and we need YOU to stand them down at the RMA meeting to tell them NO! This isn't over until WE SAY IT IS!

Last edited by rsvb57; 06-14-2007 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: to double check

Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,457,879 times
I for one am in favor of tolling 281 - sort of. I think it is the only way to get any relief out there. I can't afford to drive on it on a daily basis, but will be very pleased that there is an alternative to sitting in traffic on the days that I need it. Also, the removal of a lot of people who can pay for it will make my morning commute even faster.

I would prefer overpasses, but that issue appears to be dead in the water - for whatever reason. So at this point - I am pro toll over no relief.

sorry to disappoint the grassroots toll party. I for one am a person who lives in the district who is not anti - toll, and I know I am not alone.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,457,879 times
we should probably make this its own thread instead of sticking it in the potranco one.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:45 AM

797 posts, read 2,743,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmypfc View Post
We stopped by yesterday, also. My little granddaughter loved the live band! People seemed really friendly and helpful, of course it was opening day. One thing that I hate is having to show my receipt when I leave. Is that typical here? I ask because I never had to do that in our old state. Is shoplifting that much of a problem in San Antonio?
I believe it is a problem, we too have never had to show receipts or even keep receipts for returns from where we are from. I actually tried to return an unopened DVD labeled with the Walmart price tag last fall and was turned away because I did not have a receipt. It's not just Walmart with strict return policies in SA, all the major retailers seem to share the same policies. I did convince a Lowes clerk to give me $4 of store credit for a small item I needed to exchange without a receipt last week. I'm headed out to check out the new Walmart today we'll see if its any busier than before.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:26 AM

797 posts, read 2,743,946 times
Just got back from the Walmart, its still slow and not fully stocked, atleast not the shoe department. The layout is basically the same as any other Walmart, however the aisles are wider and it seems easier to move around. The checkers are bored and the lines are non existant. I am sure it will pick up this weekend.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:53 PM

136 posts, read 511,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmypfc View Post
We stopped by yesterday, also. My little granddaughter loved the live band! People seemed really friendly and helpful, of course it was opening day. One thing that I hate is having to show my receipt when I leave. Is that typical here? I ask because I never had to do that in our old state. Is shoplifting that much of a problem in San Antonio?

I find at most Wal-Marts that's hit or miss (if they check your reciept) all Sam's Club's do Costco too and places like best Buy, not sure who else, don't think those are just SA.

-Steve

Old 06-14-2007, 01:39 PM

422 posts, read 1,332,335 times
Heck, I was at Walmart yesterday and they exchanged a 2 year old car battery for me without a reciept(since it had a 3 year warranty). It's just hit and miss. You guys that constantly get checked must look like thugs :P

Old 06-14-2007, 03:18 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,326,647 times
I never have a problem with returning stuff to Walmart. No reciept, I just get a store credit. I even exchanged an open DVD there once. I got the same DVD just full screen instead of wide screen.

yeah, they are great about exchanging car batteries. Maybe I will check out the new one today on my way home. Kids just called and told me the microwave went out.... good excuse to check out the new store.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:57 PM
NYr

44 posts, read 136,383 times
I went there yesterday, and also thought that the store was alot quieter than I had expected. It appeared to be nice and there seemed to be a larger selection of food items than some of the other Walmarts I have seen. The cashiers, and salespeople in the shoe department were friendly and willing to assist customers, but there were a few employees working in the Women's department that seemed a bit unfriendly. Since Walmart is trying to change their image and trying to be a bit more "upscale" they should perhaps train the personnel to act friendlier, and not walk around with attitudes. I'm not sure what they are really looking for on the receipt since the young girl at the door did not even look in my cart or bags. All she did was mark it with a highlighter.

***GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio