U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,323,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
ALSO - Behind Sage Run, they've cleared out 100's of acres of trees for development. From what I gather, they're just 'prepping' the land for sale, no confirmation on commercial/residential yes. Luckily we have the creek bed right behind us, and the gas pipeline. But hearing the sound of heavy machinery for weeks made me sick! We used to have deer and hogs, etc, behind our house, but now all we see is piles of dead trees and dirt. I guess now that Wiseman is paved/finished, they're cutting into the land there. So sad.
From different maps and commercial real estate links posted on here, I'd bet that the land just north of Sage Run and heading up towards Wiseman Blvd is partly being "prepped" for the new Northside ISD's Potranco West high school planned to open by 2010 or 2011. Now that the bond issue passed, a lot of those monies were going to be used to secure land for future schools and that area to the north/northeast of Sage Run is the proposed site for the new high school.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,323,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVega View Post
I like all of the development (well most of it - I hate Wal-Mart and don't shop there at all), but what really concerns me is the flooding over Potranco. I don't recall it being that bad before they started building. I find it annoying that when it floods I HAVE to go into Wal-Mart's parking lot to get to 1604.
Potranco Road has always flooded during heavy rain storms. Growing up in that area through the 70s and 80s, I can remember quite a few times when it was flooded so badly that my folks couldn't cross Potranco at the bottom of the hill near what is now Amhurst, and also at the low water crossing across from Wal Mart and near the new Madison's Market. Cars were literally swept off the road at times, and the only way then to get to town involved driving down Grosenbacher to Hwy 90 and heading east. Baker's Garage, which is now the Wal Mart site, stood there for years and they had to help pull cars out of the low water crossing many times throughout the years. I am amazed with all that new construction on Potranco and yet the the flooding issues have never been addressed although they did do some work on the area near Amhurst some years back.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:21 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,350,797 times
Yep, that crossing is always bad when it rains, or at least it has been since I moved to Westcreek in 2001.

It is nice to see another walmart hater though

keep spreading the word and maybe this one will fail

Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 PM

17 posts, read 95,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Near Shamu View Post
You're right. The flooding looks bad when it rains, because all those people that live there get semi-stuck. However, you don't have to go into Wal-Mart to get to 1604 north, only if you're going south. If you're going north or want to keep going down Potranco, its best to go back to Empresario Dr and make a right, then take a right on Saxonhill Dr and finally a right on Westcreek Oaks. You'll end up on 1604 between Military and Potranco.
You're right, I've done that several times, but doesn't it seem silly to have to go through all those streets when someone could have done better planning to add drainage or raise the road? Living West of 1604 isn't easy when it rains. If I take Grossenbacher to 90, there's a creek that runs over the road and floods, too.

What really bothers me is that the development preceded the infrastructure. There seem to be plans to widen Potranco, but I'll bet money it will happen after the stores proposed near Wal-Mart are up and running.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:50 AM

173 posts, read 556,762 times
OK, now I am curious about the massive clearing of land. Guess I'll need to do a drive-by and check it out. I wonder if the people who live on the land behind Dezarae have sold yet? I always found it interesting how WestCreek built around them.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 AM

144 posts, read 621,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVega View Post
I like all of the development (well most of it - I hate Wal-Mart and don't shop there at all), but what really concerns me is the flooding over Potranco. I don't recall it being that bad before they started building. I find it annoying that when it floods I HAVE to go into Wal-Mart's parking lot to get to 1604.
Its funny how people will try and blame Walmart for everthing that goes wrong around them. Walmart did NOT cause the flooding behind them, that area has been a flooding at that level for years and years. There was another CD member blaming Walmart for killing her Cat...lol Funny

Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM

actually, that was me that did that and I'm a him.. and it was their food that killed my cat. It could be argued whether or not walmart was at least partially responsible for the cats death, but I don't really care. I was just mad that the cat died before his time and went so quick and on a Sunday so there wasn't much we could do.
I could go on, but this obviously isn't the place. I just wanted to clarify that I'm a guy and the death of a family member for over 13 years isn't really a laughing matter....

Old 07-24-2007, 04:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,381,420 times
GREAT NEWS!!! I stopped by the Pei Wei at the corner of Potranco and 1604 after work this afternoon and they are in there as busy as bees training, cooking and getting all ready for the GRAND OPENING THIS NEXT MONDAY!!!

I was assured that they open at 10am this Monday, JUL 30TH. YEA!!!!!!

Does anyone else know what they will be having for dinner Monday nite??

Old 07-24-2007, 04:39 PM

this place is getting a lot of hype, so I'm gonna have to visit it. Hopefully they realize they're under extreme pressure here

Old 07-24-2007, 04:44 PM

55 posts, read 224,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post

Does anyone else know what they will be having for dinner Monday nite??

WOK INN of course!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio