U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,135,787 times

Advertisements

I don't think the people who are guilty of doing it are the blogging types. Count yourself lucky if you haven't seen any. They're there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,820,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperkeeper View Post
So I googled "San Antonio Diapers Parking Lot" to see what results I'd get. The only places that mention San Antonio having a problem with diapers being left in parking lots are a couple of city data threads (including this one) and a Texas college sports forum which has a thread from 2008 talking [in general] about diapers being left in parking lots and San Antonio is mentioned a couple of times (once in a joking/over the top/not serious way) but it seems so is every other city in Texas.

That was it. Two results. One being city-data and the other being a thread with a general discussion on the subject matter that implicates every city in Texas.

Hmmm, your Google-Fu needs some work. I just checked Google for "San Antonio dirty diapers parking lots" and got numerous results from a wide range sites from local discussion boards to major travel review sites.

I saw one myself last weekend in the parking lot of Target at the RIM location on the NW side. It is pretty disgusting that people seem to think this is acceptable, especially seeing that there was a trash can located by a cart return about 20 feet away from where the diaper was dropped on the ground.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,408,159 times
Default Pooh-poohing about PooPoo in San Antonio,

Some of these posts and threads are much ado about nothing. That is what this reply is.
There is no controlling of everyone's habits and frame of mind. So what? You blind?

If you want to (1) see real urban blight and (2) have the resources, ? , Fly yourself to Detroit. Rent yourself a car, drive around within the city limits for one day, maybe two, come back and make some entries on how bad San Antonio is. Again. I have traveled all over and comparatively speaking S.A. is a very clean town. Sun bleached overpasses,a lot of newer construction, new parts of town. No industrial decay or smudged, stained soot stained or collapsed buildings.
No toxic pollution, no industrial waste sites, no run down and collapsed infrastructure being patched together from a non-existent taxbase. No abandoned factories right downtown, homelessness....
Potholes by the tens of thousands from climate extremes, rusted out automobiles filled with people searching for work.
Lots of sunshine , fresh air and warmth.
City economics won't even be mentioned.

For one of its' size it is very,very clean here... It is impossible to pick up after 2 million people all of the time ? In fact it is astonishingly clean for as many people as there are in it.
Some people here are as irresponsible as children, yes. So you will whine about it? San Antonio has many virtues, we are lucky. Most here are hardworking people, honest. This is the best of things. Industriousness.
Residents of San Antonio are fortunate, many do not know this fact. The whiners especially.
Icing of the cake here, is no State or City income taxes. Add that in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
So this is the first time you've seen this posted in your entire one month on the City Data Forum? Surprising. It's been mentioned on this forum many times. There will always be one or two people that will dispute that San Antonio has a problem with litter, grafitti and just a general lack of pride in many parts of the city. Then there will plenty more that will affirm the problems. So, next time this topic comes up in a month or so, you can proudly state that you have seen or heard about it...

Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 36,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Hmmm, your Google-Fu needs some work. I just checked Google for "San Antonio dirty diapers parking lots" and got numerous results from a wide range sites from local discussion boards to major travel review sites.

I saw one myself last weekend in the parking lot of Target at the RIM location on the NW side. It is pretty disgusting that people seem to think this is acceptable, especially seeing that there was a trash can located by a cart return about 20 feet away from where the diaper was dropped on the ground.
Those keywords did being up a couple of more results but had you clicked on then you'd see that only one of the new results pertained to San Antonio, in the form of a 7 year old question posted on [domain blocked due to spam].com

The other two new results had nothing to do with San Antonio. One was a corpus fishing website where San Antonio and the mess left behind after fiesta was mentioned.

The other new result was a general discussin about a woman falling near a diaper in a parking lot. Said woman was not from San Antonio nor did it occur in San Antonio. A poster from San Antonio did comment and said she sometimes changes her child in the bed of a truck but makes sure to dispose of it. Another poster from Atlanta commented about dirty diapers where she lived.

So, even with the changed keywords, the search still results in a couple of city data threads, a general discussin thread on a sports forum and a thread on [domain blocked due to spam].

Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,303,172 times
LOL. So if it's not on the Google database, it doesn't exist??

I've been in San Antonio over 50 years, and yes, things are a lot different now. Compared to Detroit?....apples and oranges. While the city is cleaner than other places, it does have it's problems, like any other city. The usual litter around the highways and parking lots, etc. is one thing, but when you see someone fling a dirty diaper under their car instead of walking 20 feet to the trash can, that is pure laziness and questionable upbringing.
Whenever we go to the river, lake, etc., we take a trash bag and clean up the area we are in first, then whatever mess we make, we take with us to dispose in a dumpster or trash can somewhere. It's not that difficult.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 AM

336 posts, read 413,787 times
Is this really what we're discussing in great detail? Dirty diapers.

I digress...

As a Downtown resident, SA Metro is extremely clean, understandably so, as it's the epicenter of tourism and a good impression includes a clean street. The city works hard to keep my area of town spotless and I can't fault much in the Downtown, King William, Southtown area.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,135,787 times
I'll agree to that. Downtown is almost pristine in most locations. It's a gem and SA should be proud of it. But come on.....drive through the back streets off Five Palms and Old Pearsall and tell me there aren't some cleanliness issues. It looks 3rd world in there. And call me a hater all day long, my father in law owns a home in that neighborhood. It's despicable. I've never understood why "poor" equates to "dirty"....it doesn't take a dollar to reach down and pick up your trash when a stray dog has overturned your cans.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,839,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Dirty diapers left in shopping carts. Or parking lots. Or sidewalks in front of fast food places. I have not seen that anywhere else but San Antonio.

Driving down any major road you will often seen tossed out beer bottles and cans, and the cardboard containers they come in. My old neighborhood had a huge tagging problem which does contribute to a dirty look and feel. But it's not everywhere (yet). It's also not necessarily contained to a particular side of town.
I have actually seen that in San Diego, Dallas, Houston, Austin, and Phoenix. In Santa Monica a bum took a poo right outside the the store I was in at the Promenade. If you go to a part of town that has a lot of poor people you will find this.

Your second part I agree with almost completely.

Alamo Heights
Northwoods
Terrel Hills
Stone Oak
Cibolo Canyons
Shavano Park
Deerfield
Alamo Ranch
Westover Hills

Half of San Antonio is very clean with little amounts of litter and graffiti if any. The other half of San Antonio is plagued with individuals who have no pride in where they live and trash it.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 AM

19 posts, read 36,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
LOL. So if it's not on the Google database, it doesn't exist??
If that's how you choose to interpret what I posted, that is your right.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:53 PM

282 posts, read 410,036 times
When i was scavenging forums like this doing my research on the city before moving here, litter and graffiti were mentioned a lot. I was seriously expecting to see swaths of litter and graffiti everywhere the second I stepped off the plane...that was not the case. I'm not denying there's no litter because there definitely is and it is an ugly problem, I just think some are blowing it a little out of proportion. To answer the original question, SA is not all that clean, as some parts are spotless while others look like a trashcan. Does the city do litter patrol? If so, how often? Something as simple as cleaning up litter and graffiti and keeping it away would make the city look 10x better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or